Coil Build Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. It has been awhile since my first post and since then, vaping has become quite a hobby and way of life for me. I have gotten into the rda side and am totally coocoo for mods lol. I enjoy experimenting with different builds and have even won a cloud comp with my .08 monster lol.

Anyways, onto my request for advice. I thoroughly enjoy my custard flavors and have found they vape really well and taste amazing at a low ohm build (around .1) however that is not a viable option for an ADV. I was hoping someone could point me in a direction for a build that produces a good amount of heat to make the flavor right while maintaining a decent area for an all day use without needing to carry around a duffle bag full of batterys.

Any ideas or suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated!! Vape on my friends!!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Im building on a Tobecco TOBH atty. I use nichrome wire almost exclusively for all my builds. Right now im running a dual nano 26ga nichrome build with cotton dragon wick. It vapes nice at .2 ohms but it doesnt give me the nice warm custard flavor im used to from my IGO w6 running quad 26ga parallel coils at around .08 ohms on my 26650 hades mods. I know that its not going to be the same but would like to recieve similar results with an 18650 mod. I know my sony vtc4 batteries can handle as low as .14 but thats not practical for ADV without needing a bag of batteries to last all day.

Kalaniboi81

May 23, 2014
Tacoma,WA,USA
Out of all my builds i prefer the twisted 28GA kanthal 4 wraps on a 5/64th drill bit for my ADV. It's a .54 ohm build but due to the twisted kanthal the heat is there, and flavor is as well. It's a single coil build and i usually do this in my Trident since it's so compact i think that helps with the warmth of the vape. Battery life on that is around 2.5 - 3 hours depending on if your just puffing away or taking hits here and there. It's still not that great, but better than 1 - 1.5 LOL. I hope you find that build your looking for, and when you do please share! VAPE ON!

Land0Calrissian

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2013
Cloud City
Im building on a Tobecco TOBH atty. I use nichrome wire almost exclusively for all my builds. Right now im running a dual nano 26ga nichrome build with cotton dragon wick. It vapes nice at .2 ohms but it doesnt give me the nice warm custard flavor im used to from my IGO w6 running quad 26ga parallel coils at around .08 ohms on my 26650 hades mods. I know that its not going to be the same but would like to recieve similar results with an 18650 mod. I know my sony vtc4 batteries can handle as low as .14 but thats not practical for ADV without needing a bag of batteries to last all day.

For all day vaping I prefer single coils around a .4-.7 ohm build. Right now I use Twisted then flattened 24 gauge 5 wrap build, and in my other RDA I use all day I have a clapton coil (30 gauge wrapped around 24 gauge kanthal, macro coil 4 wrap)

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
wait....did he say .1 - that is a tenth of an ohm?

Surely a typo

Not likely, he said his cloud chasing rig runs an 0.08 ohm build.

My suggestion is to run a 0.5 ohm parallel coil on a reduced chamber atomizer. I've built such a coil on a genny and it will produce lots of heat, however wicking performance needs to be very good to keep up.

The lowest ohm coil build I run daily is a 0.21 ohm dual 7/8 micro wound on a tiny screwdriver shaft (approx 1mm dia) with 24g kanthal a1 on 30amp batteries.

I'm not sure much more than huge lung capacity is needed to produce winning clouds, but by all means do as you will.

Maurice

StrafeMalone

May 8, 2014
Hutchinson KS
I will start of stating that my Mech mod is a 18350 so I can not go very low ohm wise. The set up I am using as of right now is a single 1 ohm 26 guage coil build (8/7 wraps on a 1/8 inch drill bit) and some cotton wick in a SmokTech Caterpillar (air flow set to only 4 instead of 5). This set up produces a nice vape for custard flavors in my experience.

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
Not likely, he said his cloud chasing rig runs an 0.08 ohm build.

My suggestion is to run a 0.5 ohm parallel coil on a reduced chamber atomizer. I've built such a coil on a genny and it will produce lots of heat, however wicking performance needs to be very good to keep up.

The lowest ohm coil build I run daily is a 0.21 ohm dual 7/8 micro wound on a tiny screwdriver shaft (approx 1mm dia) with 24g kanthal a1 on 30amp batteries.

I'm not sure much more than huge lung capacity is needed to produce winning clouds, but by all means do as you will.

Maurice

The lowest I have vaped is .2, and the heat was unpleasant.

The lowest I have seen is .15, and the 30amp Sony got very hot when it was checked.

Any lower must be getting risky

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Lots of airflow cools the vape, my stillare v2 at 0.21 ohms with airflow half open is warm but not hot.

Vapor temp has quite a bit to do with airflow and chamber design. Your build includes many variables that effect the vapor quality; the ratio of intake air holes to the drip tip side air hole, air velocity, how well the wicks are moving liquid to the coils, air intake hole alignment, even the length of your drip tip or its design if it has air inlets built into it.

A good 30 amp battery should be able to fire this build till either the coils pop or the battery is drained to a point where it needs to be recharged.

As for how I vape; I do lung inhales that aren't super long and I don't pre heat the coils prior to the draw, so the drain on the battery isn't long at all.

I won't fire a build below 0.2 ohm simply for the fact that if the mod switch somehow developed a hard short and fired unknown till the battery was completely drained I'd rather not push the limit beyond the batteries rated maximum continuous draw. Though I would like to think I would notice a mod firing that long.

The OP did mention running a 26650 mod, not the 18650 I run at 0.21 ohm, I'd imagine the 26650 with nicrome is 4 6/7 coils on a 1mm diameter mandrel to get 0.08 ohm, maybe the OP will enlighten us.

0.08 ohm at 4.2 v = 52.5 amps which is pushing the limits of the best 26650 batteries by a 0.5 amp margin, however the voltage drop could compensate for this.

Maurice

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Lots of good information to go with and do some good trial and error runs.

As far as clarification on the ohms of my cloud rig, yes .08 is correct for where it started, however it is now running at a .12 due to use. I run exclusively Sony VTC50 26650 batteries that are rated to handle 50amp continuous draw, though have been tested to handle 54. Yes it is a really heated vape, but running it on an IGO w6 with 2 extra 1/8" holes centered on the top coils, it cools it down enough to handle but still enough to kick your chest and produce comp winning clouds lol. But the battery only lasts for about 1-3 hours depending on use.

*Edit* Forgot to mention, the coil setup on my w6 is 4 parallel 26ga nichrome coils 4/3 wrap on an 1/8 mandrel.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
The math is the math.

It's just my field engineering experience kicking in here :)

Not telling anyone how to vape, it's my own personal preservation instincts kicking in here - I never trust equipment at it's limits.

Good on you though :)

I hear you, and while I don't want to be that guy I am curious as to what it might be like to pop a 26650 mod.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread