coil length and gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Hi everyone, so I decided to start vaping and I bought a drip rba and a 3.7v ego-t. They haven't arrived to me yet. I don't have that VV mod yet so until then I'll be using numbers to get achieve that perfect vape-hit-flavor. My big confusion is about the resistances I have to use with this battery and I don't know if I should buy other gauge sizes besides the 32 AWG. I am having trouble getting a good understanding of how coil builds work and I'm quite bad at math. Just a 'warning' further I'm trying to discuss the numbers as I understood them.

I never build a coil, but considering this table, if one would take an say 2 inch long 32 gauge wire and build a coil, in theory that coil will have a LR - 1.7 ohm resistance ( 2x1/1.1537). Now to increase this resistance you make the coil longer, so 2.5 inch of coil will result in HR - 2.2 ohm resistance (2.5/1x1.1537). Considering the above as correct, the 31 gauge for example, 2 inch long coil, will give out almost HR - 2.2 ohm ( 2x1/0.9149). In this case, a shorter coil will decrease resistance, so 1.6 inch long will result in LR - 1.7 ohms (1.6x1/0.9149).

Considering my example ,where in my opinion 2 inch of coil is the perfect length that I should build my coils from, should I try to keep this rule like a general one and just buy all AWG sizes from 29 to 34 to be as close as possible to my desired length so that I test how the vape tastes? or it would be better to get 2 gauges only, 31 and 32 and experiment in lengths? My intentions are to test different resistances from 1,5 to 3 ohms. What would you say is the better way to go?

A last quick question, as far as I noticed, my guess is that the average length most builders use is 2 inch. Is that correct?

artt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
michigan
If I atempted to answer the questions concerning wire guage to use, trust me it would probably be wrong. Hopefully someone with a bit more insight can help with your questions. My knowledge is only with 32 kanthal, using 1 and7/16 inch of R wire adding NR wire which shortens the length of course and usually meters out around 1.1 ohm. It's worked really well in my Penelope hence I have little desire to experiment.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
I never build a coil

Hi, and welcome!

When you start building them, you'll get more understanding and you'll be less number oriented. You MUST have a multimeter if you are to play around with RBAs and making your own coils anyway. If not necessarily in order to know you Ohms, but in order to make sure you didn't build in a short or a coil of too low resistance for safety.

While it is quite possible to use an RBA with an Ego, the electronics in it, and the LiCo battery might frown upon any coil that's too low resistance that you might make. Strongly consider any entry-level mod in which you can use IMR batteries. My opinion is that everyone should use RBAs only with IMR batteries...

As to the wire length and gauge... I'd let the vape guide me - to strong, add a wrap, too weak, remove a wrap. Check the Ohms with the multimeter only to make sure you are in a safe range - let's say >1 Ohm, at the very least >0.8 Ohm...

Good luck, hope this helps.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Here is a spread sheet to do the calc for you. View attachment resistance wire calc..xlsx
You have some control over it on attys that are made to be rebuilt how close the coils are the diameter of the coil etc. If you rebuild something like a Vivi or a repairable atty then you don't have that much and what you get is dependent on the resistance of the wire.
I have rebuilt an AGA T and a Clearo and as soon as one fails a vivi will be next. Things that help are fine tip tweezers, needle nose pliers a long piece of thin rigid wire to attach the wick to if using silica and for mesh diff sizes of drill bits or something of diff dia..

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
While it is quite possible to use an RBA with an Ego, the electronics in it, and the LiCo battery might frown upon any coil that's too low resistance that you might make. Strongly consider any entry-level mod in which you can use IMR batteries. My opinion is that everyone should use RBAs only with IMR batteries...

Good luck, hope this helps.

Agree. I will get one as soon as possible. I very much like the VV MOD's that read ohms, do you think I should still have a separate multimeter device in this case? Thank's!

Finally I have another noob question, if a coil is a complete turn of a coil around the wick, how many coils will a "5/4 wrap" have? I saw the term in several threads and I suppose it's 4 coils? but what does 5 stand for?

Last edited:

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Agree. I will get one as soon as possible. I very much like the VV MOD's that read ohms, do you think I should still have a separate multimeter device in this case? Thank's!

Finally I have another noob question, if a coil is a complete turn of a coil around the wick, how many coils will a "5/4 wrap" have? I saw the term in several threads and I suppose it's 4 coils? but what does 5 stand for?

Its still just one coil regardless :p...but in seriousness: it means 4 or 5 wraps in the coil

sent from EVOLTEd

Byten

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
USA

5 wires on one side, 4 on the other side of the coil. People list it this way for clarity sake, but it is more confusing until you do it. Wrap a wire around something with the two ends facing the same direction, you'll have 5 wires on one side and 4 on the other.

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
Just to make a final decision on what to buy, would you use more than 2.5 ohm coils on an ego-t battery? I'm thinking of buy the 31 instead of 33

2.5 ohms is pretty high for a standard ego battery without variable voltage, you might want to try lower a lower resistance coil below 2 ohms. Also I would recommend not putting RBA's on a standard ego battery, since there is no short circuit protection. I fried a battery when a coil short circuited while I was vaping. And one more note on getting a multimeter, f you are purchasing a PV with an ohms checker, you really don't need one. I have 2 multimeters now gathering dust after upgrading to PV's that can check resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread