Coil P0rn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Depending on your vaping style, it works well. Low power-long drag is fine, high power-short drag is ok too, but high power long drag, at least on my first wicking attempt, as shown, is dry hit city. I'll have to try a few ideas, but don't listen to me. Only thing I know for sure is I know next to nothing.

Don’t know if it just the picture, but that mesh looks deformed. You want the mesh profile to be perfectly contoured to the forming jig that was included with the rda. Bends, dings and deformation of the mesh not only creates hot spots, but also creates voids between the mesh and the wick which leads to dry burns.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
clhvDqb.jpg

New C2MNT on my Vindicator with some Ni80 quad-core fused claptons.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I'm starting to wonder if some cheaper batches have been done @HigherStateD, I can only get small quantities in the UK from Cremedevape and some of the last packs wicked awfully.

If you're US based, Tidi Rayon Balls are supposed to be well worth getting hold of. So if you are, it may well be worth asking folks in the Rayon thread if they could possibly spare 2 and post them to you.

But I'm at a locational and logistacal dissadvantage as an unhappy denizen in the gloomy UK, sigh.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I'm starting to wonder if some cheaper batches have been done @HigherStateD, I can only get small quantities in the UK from Cremedevape and some of the last packs wicked awfully.

If you're US based, Tidi Rayon Balls are supposed to be well worth getting hold of. So if you are, it may well be worth asking folks in the Rayon thread if they could possibly spare 2 and post them to you.

But I'm at a locational and logistacal dissadvantage as an unhappy denizen in the gloomy UK, sigh.
I have some CBV2 lying around that I'll give a go. The rayon I have was sources from Amazon about 3-4 months ago, and wicks incredibly well in traditional coils. I am planning on trying the tidi balls, as soon as I run low....

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
20191105_010412.jpg

My very humble 6 wrap SS316L 25AWG (0.68mm × 0.27mm) Flat Wire 4mm ID coil running @ 0.45 ohms, using a THC Tauren SOLO on LV Drone and using Grahame's Cellucotton Rayon.

And @HigherStateD, I had an idea with Cellucotton Rayon that I've tried out.

What you do is comb beforehand so you thin it into a sheet, then you roll and compress it ready for use. It definitely improves things, and with RDA's at least it seems as though all you need to is trim and stuff.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
View attachment 849741
My very humble 6 wrap SS316L 25AWG (0.68mm × 0.27mm) Flat Wire 4mm ID coil running @ 0.45 ohms, using a THC Tauren SOLO on LV Drone and using Grahame's Cellucotton Rayon.

And @HigherStateD, I had an idea with Cellucotton Rayon that I've tried out.

What you do is comb beforehand so you thin it into a sheet, then you roll and compress it ready for use. It definitely improves things, and with RDA's at least it seems as though all you need to is trim and stuff.
Interesting idea, and worth a shot

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Well my thought was that the fibres may well be messed up and that won't help with wicking.

So I thought about combing the proverbial hell out of it to straighten everything up, remove the scruffy bits and hopefully make something useful.

And so far the results are promising @HigherStateD, it's well worth a try and as an added bonus it's quite therapeutic.

@lupinehorror, this may also be of some use to you as you're having similar issues too with Rayon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob B.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread