Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm getting this kit that comes with a rda:
Aspire Quad-Flex Tank Survival Kit
My only mod is a little innokin EZ Watt:
Innokin EZ WATT 35W Starter Kit | Vape System
My first goal is make a coil for testing new DIY juices (also my first time doing this) The mod only has a few wattage settings: 13/14, 16/18 and 30/35. I'm thinking 18 watts might be a good choice. Any suggestions for a coil build?
I also want to try a little cloud chasing (nothing big... I'm really more of a MTL or restricted DTL vaper) and thinking 30 watts might work. Suggestions for a coil to do this? I only want to get one spool of wire to do both, and the first build is priority right now (I can hold off on second build if different wire is needed)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
The survival kit comes with two Clapton coils. I believe they are Ni80, b 0.85 or 0.45ohm. don't remember specially, but might be ok at 30w, depending on air flow. I'd try one first, rather 2 in parallel.

For lower watta, I hear kanthal is the go to wire type, and 26g seems to be what people gravitate to for starting out. Sorry I can't be more helpful in that aspect.

I will suggest a decent pair of ceramic vape tweezers. The ones that have the crescent to grip tanks with. They are invaluable. I picked up a little kit from wish. Was like, 8$ shipped.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Wow! Just watched a video review of this kit and I'm blown away. Had no idea how versatile it is. I also already have coils for the Nautilus X tank (that should work great with my little mod) Will only run one of the supplied coils and can't wait to build my own (yes kanthal would be my choice) Wish my mod had more power, but will see what 35 watts can do. I have never used anything but MTL tanks... I'm so excited!

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I have that kit. I have mine built with 24 ga. Round wire @ .2 ohms. It is a velocity style deck so I would go with round wire or single core claptons. The screws come in from the sides so to use flat multi core wire you would have to twist the legs 90°. It is doable i just find round works better. I use mine for squonking and it is nice because it has a cap for that wiith really high AF. No leaks at all. I would suggest 26 ga round wire for you. I haven't used my Quad Flex for a while. I may put it back into service for a while.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
A few disconnected observations:
Clouds are proportional to surface area and wattage.
Fancy convoluted coils have high surface area. They also have lower mass so they heat and cool more rapidly, which is important for large coils.
Ni80 heats more rapidly than Kanthal.
At 35W you won't need to be picky since your coils will be small.
It's hard to vape at higher than 100W due to problems with heat dissipation.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I have that kit. I have mine built with 24 ga. Round wire @ .2 ohms. It is a velocity style deck so I would go with round wire or single core claptons. The screws come in from the sides so to use flat multi core wire you would have to twist the legs 90°. It is doable i just find round works better. I use mine for squonking and it is nice because it has a cap for that wiith really high AF. No leaks at all. I would suggest 26 ga round wire for you. I haven't used my Quad Flex for a while. I may put it back into service for a while.
20190729_105335.jpg
Pardon the sloppy build, but you can see there is not a ton of room for massive coils.
20190729_105844.jpg

Really like this cap. Airflow comes in at the top
20190729_105821.jpg
And exits at the bottom just under the coils. It has a notch to line up airflow and makes it easier to unscrew the RDA.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Hehe... I did try and fit 4 parallel Clapton's in it. It got awefully warm at about 80w, but worked. Enough room at a 2mm ID.
also not sure why vaping over 100w isn't realistic, I often vape well over that. Not on this atty though.

With one or even possibly 2 simple coils of 26g Ka1 or possibly even Ni80 you should have a reasonably good MTL or restricted DL Vape on it.

I eagerly await your review.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I want to start simple... round wire. Which has more resistance, Ni80 or Kanthal (same guage)? The coils that come with the kit... what ID are they? I'm total newbie to building coils... is there a simple calculator for this?
Steam engine is the go to coil calculator. I am unsure of the coils that came with it. Sorry. Kanthal should have the higher resistance at the same gauge. Resistance doesn't always mean lower wattage though. The amount of metal, ie mass, does. It takes more power to heat more metal of the same type.

Also, heat flux is important too. Ni80 and SS316, for example, heat and cool faster than kanthal.

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Also, heat flux is important too. Ni80 and SS316, for example, heat and cool faster than kanthal.

Heat Flux is a measurement of radiant heat. With Steam Engine this is calculated by 1 watt/surface area of the coil. Specific Heat is not part of the equation which is the time it takes for an object to heat up to a specific temperature. Steam Engine calculates its Heat Capacity as Specific Heat Capacity of the metal x Mass of the coil.

The true calculation for time it takes to heat an object is: Delta Time = Specific Heat Capacity x Mass x Delta Temperature / Power

Edit: This does not account for juice saturation and or air flow of the atomizer – both of which are difficult if not impossible to factor in.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Higher State... thank you. That is what I needed (remember everyone mentioning it, just wasn't actually ready to build coils yet) The coils that come with the kit are clapton (two coils) so dual claptons it is (I assume they will almost laugh at my 35 watts?)
here's the review I watched (a bit much, but he does touch on the highlights of this kit!)

Drunk in Public (just kidding), I love dogs and cats... right now missing my cat (his name is Jack) He looks very much like your pic (long story... he's with my wife... another long story... separated by location but she is still my soulmate) No worries, math and calculations are a great starting point, but good ol empirical testing is what matters in the end.

Reactions: HigherStateD

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Higher State... thank you. That is what I needed (remember everyone mentioning it, just wasn't actually ready to build coils yet) The coils that come with the kit are clapton (two coils) so dual claptons it is (I assume they will almost laugh at my 35 watts?)
here's the review I watched (a bit much, but he does touch on the highlights of this kit!)

Drunk in Public (just kidding), I love dogs and cats... right now missing my cat (his name is Jack) He looks very much like your pic (long story... he's with my wife... another long story... separated by location but she is still my soulmate) No worries, math and calculations are a great starting point, but good ol empirical testing is what matters in the end.

You are absolutely correct in that objective numbers may not equate to real life experiences given the many variables involved. But!!! They can be a true benchmark in which we can reference!

BTW – my handle was suppose to be Drunk In Public. But I was drunk at the time so it came out as Punk In Drublic.

And the profile pic is my kitty, Princess and evil genius (all cats are geniuses) named Zelda. She is awesome!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
You are absolutely correct in that objective numbers may not equate to real life experiences given the many variables involved. But!!! They can be a true benchmark in which we can reference!

BTW – my handle was suppose to be Drunk In Public. But I was drunk at the time so it came out as Punk In Drublic.

And the profile pic is my kitty, Princess and evil genius (all cats are geniuses) named Zelda. She is awesome!
And all this time I thought it was a reference to NoFX.

@vaper1960 you don't have to install both coils at the same time. That should give you a nice vape @35 or less with just one.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia

I have dual alien claptons in my Brunhilde, I'm vaping at 42.2 watts and it's a lovely smooth vape!
    And Talk About Clouds:eek::eek:
    You don't need to vape at 380 watts to be happy and Cloudy, too hot too hot:evil:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    I have dual alien claptons in my Brunhilde, I'm vaping at 42.2 watts and it's a lovely smooth vape!
    And Talk About Clouds:eek::eek:
    You don't need to vape at 380 watts to be happy and Cloudy, too hot too hot:evil:
    Not disagreeing with you in the slightest, but it still depends on the coils you are using. My coils in my tank would taste like wet air at 45 watts. I'm at 87.5. These are 2 round wires and a flat twisted together.
    Voltage is in my mind a better comparison. Most ppl are vaping between 4 and 5 volts, regardless of the watts...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread