Collapsed Spring REO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson5

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Reno
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me out...I own a Grand, a Mini, and recently purchased an metal 18490. I've had it for 5 weeks and the spring has collapsed twice on me already. None of my other mods have suffered a collapsed spring. My understanding is that these are safety springs that collapse when a short exists. My question is, where is the short? Is this something internal? Is it the spring itself? Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me out...I own a Grand, a Mini, and recently purchased an metal 18490. I've had it for 5 weeks and the spring has collapsed twice on me already. None of my other mods have suffered a collapsed spring. My understanding is that these are safety springs that collapse when a short exists. My question is, where is the short? Is this something internal? Is it the spring itself? Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

The usual culprit is the atty or cartos.

Yes, the spring is a safety feature. Instead of the battery staying in contact it drops away. The spring is made to collapse only once. So it needs replaced if it has a collapse.

If you have a multimeter you can meter the atty or cartos you used when it shorted. Sometimes a short will happen if the atty or cartos is put on too tight. That causes the gasket to move and it will short.

New springs can be purchased at the reosmods site. On the metal REO's they are very simple to change. Just take out the screw in the bottom. Clean where the spring goes and replace it.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Hi Jackson5 :)
The short typically occurs at the connection between the atomizer and the device. Have you used the same atomizer both times the spring collapsed? It is advised that if your mod is shorted by an atty, that you don't use that atty again. However, if that is not the case, perhaps you should contact Rob and send it in for a look see. He can fix whatever might be happening. Overtightening of the atty can also cause a short by forcing the positive center post to come into contact with the negative threaded part. I hope this helps. :)

Jackson5

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Reno
Hi Jackson5 :)
The short typically occurs at the connection between the atomizer and the device. Have you used the same atomizer both times the spring collapsed? It is advised that if your mod is shorted by an atty, that you don't use that atty again. However, if that is not the case, perhaps you should contact Rob and send it in for a look see. He can fix whatever might be happening. Overtightening of the atty can also cause a short by forcing the positive center post to come into contact with the negative threaded part. I hope this helps. :)

Rhapsodie,

Thanks for the quick response. It has been with two different attys, 357 HH, and a Aero. Additionally, my husband just took it apart to find that the firing pin had melted into the black plastic plunger...this thing got hot! I will be sending this out to Rob come Monday. Does Rob offer the firing pin set-up for the mods somewhere that I've yet to see? I've had the pin shear/break within the plastic retainer on three of the other mods. I'd replace them myself if they were offered.
Thanks much for your insight, your always full of experienced info.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
Thanks Nerak- I replaced the spring the first time it happened, but I fear the issue is within the mod now as two different attys were used- 357HH and an Aero.

Contact Robert about a re-build kit. He can explain what needs to be done. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, or want everything checked, you could send it to him. Sometimes sending it in is the best thing to do. He will make sure all parts are working correct.

I will add that you just might be pushing down on the firing button too hard. To check and see how much of a push is needed you can hold the atty by your ear and slightly push down on the button. This will show you at what point the atty fires. Pushing or mashing the button too hard can cause the problems you are having or have had with the pin breaking.

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Rhapsodie,

Thanks for the quick response. It has been with two different attys, 357 HH, and a Aero. Additionally, my husband just took it apart to find that the firing pin had melted into the black plastic plunger...this thing got hot! I will be sending this out to Rob come Monday. Does Rob offer the firing pin set-up for the mods somewhere that I've yet to see? I've had the pin shear/break within the plastic retainer on three of the other mods. I'd replace them myself if they were offered.
Thanks much for your insight, your always full of experienced info.

Yes, he has rebuild kits available. You will want to contact him directly to make arrangements and for instructions. If you are breaking the positive battery contact, you may want to adjust how much pressure you apply to the button. If they are difficult to push and you have washed them and still they are really stiff, it may be worth it to you to send them in as well. :) I also recommend getting the new button tops...they really make a difference. You might want to talk to him about that as well.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
I used my reo 18490 for less than one day and it broke. Spring is shot and the button doesn't function correctly, it won't go up and down but gets stuck. Looks like the bottom of the button is fried. This Sucks

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX LIMITED EDITION using TAPATALK 2

What battery were you using?

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Please send the unit to me I will repair the unit and ship it back to you asap . Please put a note in the box with your email and a brief description of the problem. If its the mod you wont be charged for the repair. As far as breaking the positive tab the only way this happens if someone is constantly applying to much pressure to the button .

Last edited:

Jackson5

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Reno
Please send the unit to me I will repair the unit and ship it back to you asap . Please put a note in the box with your email and a brief description of the problem. If its the mod you wont be charged for the repair. As far as breaking the positive tab the only way this happens if someone is constantly applying to much pressure to the button .

Thanks Rob, Rahpsodie,and Nerak. This is why Reonauts are the best support community out there! These two mods with broken firing pins were both Mini's- my son's and my wife's. They both were new to vaping and I believe it was probably a case of pressing too hard. I've had a Grand for close to two years without any issue. I feel very comfortable with the anatomy of these devices, however, I think having the maker once over them will be the best option. The delrin caps appear to limit the depth in ich a user could depress the pin, so I will definitely get a few for the over aggressive newbies.

Rob- as far as the 18490 goes, it is six weeks old and the spring has collapsed twice. I will send it as well to have you determine the issue. Thanks all for your feedback, having your expertise at a buyers disposal is just another reason to own a Reo!

Kelly

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thanks Rob, Rahpsodie,and Nerak. This is why Reonauts are the best support community out there! These two mods with broken firing pins were both Mini's- my son's and my wife's. They both were new to vaping and I believe it was probably a case of pressing too hard. I've had a Grand for close to two years without any issue. I feel very comfortable with the anatomy of these devices, however, I think having the maker once over them will be the best option. The delrin caps appear to limit the depth in ich a user could depress the pin, so I will definitely get a few for the over aggressive newbies.

Rob- as far as the 18490 goes, it is six weeks old and the spring has collapsed twice. I will send it as well to have you determine the issue. Thanks all for your feedback, having your expertise at a buyers disposal is just another reason to own a Reo!

Kelly
Hello Kelly and thank you . I would like to have a look at the unit there is definitely something wrong. I will find the issue and make it right before retuning it .
Mini mods have the most problems with the positive contacts . I contribute this to the small battery and the drop off people want more power so they press harder not even realizing there doing it

Jackson5

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Reno
Hello Kelly and thank you . I would like to have a look at the unit there is definitely something wrong. I will find the issue and make it right before retuning it .
Mini mods have the most problems with the positive contacts . I contribute this to the small battery and the drop off people want more power so they press harder not even realizing there doing it

Lol, "the harder I push, the harder the hit!" The learning curve a newbie, they know better now. I will have the units express shipped first thing in the morning.

Thanks again Robert

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2012
ct

Great thanks,,, I'll send it out asap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX LIMITED EDITION using TAPATALK 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread