Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Robert chose to use a safety spring in all his REO's. What does this mean? If your REO has a electrical short the spring will collapse into itself. The collapsing spring drops the battery away from the contact and the circuit is broken. This action prevents further damage to your REO.

If the recommended batteries are used in your REO you will notice that you can push down on the top of the battery and compact the spring. While doing this notice how much play there is in the spring.

When batteries that are longer are used the spring is compressed too much. Sometimes so much that if you press on the top of the battery you can not compress the spring further. This choice of a longer battery will not allow the spring to move in case of a short. Your REO might face further damage.

I have bought a few REO's from the classy's that came with a battery. Upon arrival I would insert the battery and check for play in the spring. There have not been any besides the recommended battery that gave me a feeling of safety if a short would occur.

So, how much will the spring drop? Below are some pictures that show a fully functional spring and a collapsed spring in a REO.

I will add that pulling the spring back up after a collapse is not a good idea. Your spring will not function as a safety feature and collapse if you have another short.

Each of us make the decision on which battery to use. The question remains, how far will you go? What amount of room for the spring to collapse makes you feel safe?

View attachment 85019 View attachment 85020

VV Woodvil Prototype with batteries. Safe amount of play in spring.

013-4.jpg

Last edited:

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I don't go very far at all. I've said before that I have one woodvil that has more room than all my others.
If I use an AW IMR in that one it keeps falling out and I have to adjust it all the time.
For that one I use the AW 2200 mah black button top battery and it still has a ton of room for the spring.
The 2600 or 2900 mah are just too long for that one.

So I use RED AW IMR in all of mine except that one and the Grands. The Grands can accommodate the 2200 Black AW as well with room to spare.

Bascially when you pay the dough and love your mods as much as I do its silly not to get the batteries they are designed for.

rustybikes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2011
Concord, NC
Some different batteries and the length.

batterysize.jpg

Why do different batteries vary in length? It is due to the ohms of the battery. Higher mAh (proposed use time before charge) result in a longer battery.

My understanding of things is that this is incorrect. The batteries differ in length because of the protection PCB in the LiOn batteries. As the pic clearly shows, the PCB adds another 2-3mm in length. The higher mAh is because they're LiOn; the LiMn don't have quite the same energy density - it's a chemistry thing.

For content: I don't go very far at all. My REOs run only AW IMRs. I do have the NiMH 5-ish volt batteries for my Grands, but when I run 3.7v, it's IMR's all the way. I still use the protected LiOns in other mods (VV, so they have their own protective behaviours), but because of the REO's greatness, they don't really get much use these days.

BlueWater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
US Virgin Islands
It would be nice to have pics of the stacked batteries in the Woodvil and the Grand. That way people can see what to expect if they try the 6V.

Would also like pics of the 5V on this thread. Also pics of the Mini with 6V. Pics are good!

With stacked AW LiFePO4 3.2's in a Grand, the spring is completely pancaked. It's a super tight fit. I wouldn't try it with a woodvil.

spring.jpg

Last edited:

vanttila

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Has anyone measured the internal resistance of these springs? There was some talk in the finnish ecig forum about hotsprings in bombshells and they seem to make quite a bit of a difference. The whole point of a hotspring is that it's internal resistance is a lot lower than in normal springs. They're made of copper or something of that nature i think. There was also some talk about connectin the top end od the spring to the lower end with a multistranded copper wire and letting that take care on the conductivity, that "frees" the sping so it's main function is purely mechanical.

Hope you understood my point/questions, sorry that my english is not all that perfect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread