Colorado man sues after explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
I have been on CPF for many years and as much as iv experienced in people having battery explosions is 99% of the time its user error.

If you've been around flashlight forums a while, then you should be aware of the number of issues people have had with off-brand CR123's.

Is that issue that people are "stupid" because they're using camera batteries in a flashlight that was supposedly *designed* for them? Or is it that the off-brands are designed specifically for cameras and explode/combust when exposed to a higher drain rate, and consumers fall into the trap of thinking that if a battery has the same numerical designation it should work the same?

When I was using my Surefire, I only bought the Surefire batteries because of this, though, as I commented earlier, eventually I switched to a flashlight that used AA's. Pain in the .... to have a flashlight that eats batteries that have to be mail-ordered, IMHO.

Note, I don't think this pertains to this case -- dude used "not the same at all" batteries, but it is another case of off-brand CR123's going boom when exposed to a high drain rate. And we don't have the whole story -- did he use "obviously not the same" batteries out of sheer ignorance, or maybe he read on TehInterwebs that stacking CR123's would give him TEH AWESOME VAPES.

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Note, I don't think this pertains to this case -- dude used "not the same at all" batteries, but it is another case of off-brand CR123's going boom when exposed to a high drain rate. And we don't have the whole story -- did he use "obviously not the same" batteries out of sheer ignorance, or maybe he read on TehInterwebs that stacking CR123's would give him TEH AWESOME VAPES.

I'm going for shear ignorance, compounded by Rat Shack's failure to define "high discharge rate" beyond 600mAh or higher.

Who in their right mind would spend $20 for disposable Lithium batteries that would be drained in a day or two when they could get for the same price or less rechargeable ones that'll last a year or more.

The most logical explanation is he bought the kit without batteries. He hit the Shack. Maybe he didn't know the difference between li-ion batteries and lithium.

I don't see "photo" batteries as an issue anymore than buying "lantern" batteries for anything other than a lantern. Photo batteries are good for things other than cameras.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I don't, but I feel that A: it's being blown out of proportion, B: some of the reasoning behind certain recommendations (and the initial thrust of the posts on the Safety Spec) is not based in sound science or statistical analysis and C: that much of the language being used actually provides ammunition for those who would oppose e-cigs.
a - My position is that it's not being blown out of proportion if people are being hurt through bad design that is easily rectified, and if these incidents result in ecigs being banned in some places or restricted in others.
b - The EMSS is the best that has been suggested over the 2 years it has been in operation. If APV makers want to suggest other options they are welcome to. So far no alternative has been suggested that will stop all explosions in all metal tube mods. If the trade don't make viable suggestions, we will.
c - This is not a realistic statement. The press will get hold of these incidents and run with it. What we do is irrelevant - the Butte City Monitor staff do not read ECF.

..... I still maintain, and will until someone can prove without a shadow of doubt, that we have not seen a confirmed case of an e-cig going postal when it is being used within spec, with batteries within spec. The Colorado case is an example - the mod was not, as evidenced by the plaintif's filing, being used with the correct equipment.

Basically, our argument is that although the incidents are caused by the batteries and/or mistakes or incorrect use, only a badly-designed APV can explode. It's simple enough to fix. People are always going to make mistakes; batteries are always going to be counterfeited; twin-battery failures are always going to happen as long as there are APVs that can take them (which will be forever). Just design them right is all. As these things are always going to happen no matter what anyone does about the issue, fix the core problem: bad APV design. Easy.

You will never in a million years convince me that a consumer device to be used in front of the face and partly inserted into the face doesn't need to take account of that fact that the users will make mistakes, and/or fake batteries might be used.

Now, had I the mind so to do, I could quite easily decant a mixture of nitroglycerine and ethanol into the tank of my car. In all likelihood, that would cause major problems, and, potentially, an explosion. The car manufacturer is well aware that I could do that - the facility exists, and it's not outside the realms of possibility. Would they be liable if, as a result of my foolishness, the car exploded and rendered me incapable of consort with my wife? I think not. In fact, I am as sure as I can be that, were I to bring suit, it would be thrown out of court.

This is a faulty analogy. It should read like this: if I put diesel in my petrol car and it blows up and burns me and my family up, who is at fault? Answer: the car manufacturer, because it is obvious that people are going to do this by mistake. It will happen in 1 in 50,000 fill-ups or whatever, it's not as if anyone will be amazed if it happens. It happens every day.

What I see in the ECFSS is a solution to a problem that has not be proven to exist, in my view - again, I'll issue the challenge - if anyone can show, reliably and repeatably, a method whereby a tube mod can be made to enter catastrophic failure mode immediately and with no warning, in normal use, with the recommended batteries, three times in succession, I'll eat my words. My bet is they can't - and it's not just "here's how I think it will happen" - it has to happen.

Some APVs explode, but you seem to be saying this doesn't happen. If you want to show how it's done, then do so. Otherwise just read all the reports of it on ECF. I can't see how denialism is going to help when ecigs are restricted due to their 'dangerous nature'. Maybe you need to tell the press this isn't happening, it would work better. If the police, ambulance, fire service and hospital staff are halucinating, it should be easy to prove that.

The issue is partly the perception of the problem by the press. As long as they think it's newsworthy, they'll print it. If incidents don't occur they won't report them, so we won't have to worry. On the other hand if the incidents recur then we should do something about it. Totting up the figures, a blowup seems to have happened three times a year. This year looked to be starting out bad, with one a month in the first two months. Let's hope it stays with the average, and there is only one more this year.

Once again, there are multiple reports of these events on ECF and several that have been deleted by supplier forum owners (as you know). There are a number we have heard of that were not reported on ECF. Now the media have got hold of this, it will be used against us. As the trade are not collectively doing anything to stop the incidents, we will try to exert gentle pressure to convince people it is a very bad idea to suck on a potential pipe bomb. Some people may think it's OK but we don't.

And yes, that language is inflammatory. It might be the only way to get some people to wake up. A metal tube mod that appears on cursory inspection to be sealed, and that has two batteries inserted in series, and that has no electronic controls, is not safe to use in front of the face. You won't convince me otherwise in a million years. There are people who have been severely injured to prove it.

Some APV makers will be sued out of existence and I guess that will solve the problem in the end. Unfortunately it will hurt us badly in the process.

Just make your APV so it can't explode in the user's face even if they mistakenly use the wrong batteries. That's all we are asking.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Hi Rolygate,
Can you do a warning on the home page of ECF or a sticky that always shows up on battery warnings, that the first thing people read is your great post on batteries, what they are, what is the difference and why every user needs to know about batteries! Maybe this will help educate. I did not know the difference between a safe chemistry and protected batt, now I do. I think we need more battery education, there is just so much out there most people don't know. bnrk

A good idea. The problem is to reduce all the info to a short-form message. What people need to know is in the Rechargeable Batteries article in The Library. If it's reduced to a few easily-digested lines then people might think they know what is necessary, but the info needed is not simple or brief.

And in the end a lot of the info is pointless because any and every battery can be a fake, now. So any info in the form of, "Make sure to buy the right batteries" is kind of redundant. Nobody really knows what batteries they have. What might be of more use is: "Treat every battery as if it is a junk counterfeit".

So basically I'm too cynical to write it just now :)

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Folks I believe in personal accountability. As a person I am responsible for myself and when I purchase anything I feel it is up to me to research and acquire the knowledge to safely use my purchase.

If I buy pork from the grocery store and don't cook it to the proper temperature and get tape worms is the store then responsible for my parasite or am I responsible because I didn't cook it to the proper temperature?

If I purchase a chainsaw and don't read how to use it safely and neglect to wear eye protection is the chainsaw manufacturer liable when I lose an eye?

In my opinion the government is taking over more of our personal lives and decisions because we blame others rather than admitting our own shortcomings and mistakes.

True - but this is not the issue.

Counterfeit batteries are everywhere, plus people are going to make mistakes. If your safety depends on not making mistakes, or not buying a counterfeit, you aren't safe.

All that needs doing is for APVs to be designed to take into account that a violent battery failure will one day happen to a user who is not at fault. Simple enough.

The media is going to crucify us if these events keep happening. On top of that we have been banging on for ever about how safe ecigs are - but now it has been exposed that they explode and injure people. Everybody loves it when a group of people are made out to be liars and fools and that is exactly what we are looking like right now.

And it's so easy to fix.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I purchased a "pipe bomb" APV from a responsible, ecf vendor. In the description it listed 3 diff batt combinations. However it did not say that 1 of the combos required a diff charger. Had I not spent countless hours reading up on batt safety, and familiarizing myself w what I had, there is no telling what the outcome could of been. Now this vendor has taken all possible precautions along the lines of disclaimers, and specifying exactly what batts to use. But there was still this oversight. Point is that there are endless situations where things can go sideways fast. There has got to be some entity making sure that these issues are addressed.
Short form info would not of informed me to the level that I needed to avoid whatever the outcome could of been.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
..... The most logical explanation is he bought the kit without batteries. He hit the Shack. Maybe he didn't know the difference between li-ion batteries and lithium. .....

Here are some more details about the incident that might be of interest. I have no idea whatsoever if anything in the following is factual or not, it's simply hearsay if you like (and not my opinion or anything - I'm just repeating it because it is now public and will be of interest).

It was recounted to me that the person was a complete beginner. He was advised by a friend to get a 6 volt APV because this worked for him. The friend directed him to the PS website and together they bought the Icon v3 as this was the model used by the friend, was specifically sold for 6v use, and came with two Tenergy Li-FePo4 batteries and a charger.

The new vaper used it successfully for a week but then reported that the batteries were not holding a charge. It seems he may then have bought some replacement batteries from RadioShack, without asking his friend (or anyone else) for advice.

The 6 volt Icon may now have been withdrawn from the PS website.

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
Is there a way to put a warning in BIG, BOLD, BRIGHT RED font in the new members forum to, hopefully, get the message out there about using the wrong batteries?

I know there is a sticky thread with pics regarding this matter, but it's surrounded by a sea of other threads. But, I feel that we, as a community, have the responsibility to go out of our way to prevent this from happening. Is there a way to keep this message in the header of this forum, or maybe as a header in ALL forums?

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Here are some more details about the incident that might be of interest. I have no idea whatsoever if anything in the following is factual or not, it's simply hearsay if you like (and not my opinion or anything - I'm just repeating it because it is now public and will be of interest).

It was recounted to me that the person was a complete beginner. He was advised by a friend to get a 6 volt APV because this worked for him. The friend directed him to the PS website and together they bought the Icon v3 as this was the model used by the friend, was specifically sold for 6v use, and came with two Tenergy Li-FePo4 batteries and a charger.

The new vaper used it successfully for a week but then reported that the batteries were not holding a charge. It seems he may then have bought some replacement batteries from RadioShack, without asking his friend (or anyone else) for advice.

The 6 volt Icon may now have been withdrawn from the PS website.
Roly.......I would really like to hear the whole story in detail, but I suppose we may not. I wasn't even aware the the Icon v3 was geared for 6v vaping? I thought it was the Prodigy v3? I hope this incident will not deter people from experiencing HV vaping. If done with caution it can be quite rewarding,and has been for me for several years.

:)Wiz!

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Roly.......I would really like to hear the whole story in detail, but I suppose we may not. I wasn't even aware the the Icon v3 was geared for 6v vaping? I thought it was the Prodigy v3? I hope this incident will not deter people from experiencing HV vaping. If done with caution it can be quite rewarding,and has been for me for several years.

Hopefully it will deter anybody from HV vaping that is not ready for it. I agree w you that it is a great thing, but it must be reserved for those capable of going about it safely. Not the first device one ever buys.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Hopefully it will deter anybody from HV vaping that is not ready for it. I agree w you that it is a great thing, but it must be reserved for those capable of going about it safely. Not the first device one ever buys.
kwalka.........I disagree. If one does their homework you can start on the right track. I have seen so many people try e-cigs at lower voltage and decide to go back to smoking. I have helped several friends and family over the years get back on board using HV products. The key work here which you used was "Safely".

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
kwalka.........I disagree. If one does their homework you can start on the right track. I have seen so many people try e-cigs at lower voltage and decide to go back to smoking. I have helped several friends and family over the years get back on board using HV products. The key work here which you used was "Safely".

Then this thread/subject, kind of backs up my point, IMO. This guy allegedly had a mentor of sorts and still ended up in the ER. Allegedly.
How many people will never even read the manual nevermind do their homework?

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
A good idea. The problem is to reduce all the info to a short-form message. What people need to know is in the Rechargeable Batteries article in The Library. If it's reduced to a few easily-digested lines then people might think they know what is necessary, but the info needed is not simple or brief.

And in the end a lot of the info is pointless because any and every battery can be a fake, now. So any info in the form of, "Make sure to buy the right batteries" is kind of redundant. Nobody really knows what batteries they have. What might be of more use is: "Treat every battery as if it is a junk counterfeit".

So basically I'm too cynical to write it just now :)

Maybe something like "Before you vape- you MUST know about battery safety first" then that heading takes you to a page with a bunch of links about battery info and safety already posted. Since we have so much news about exploding batts I think newbies will head the warning and read. It took me awhile to get to the battery safety and info pages, so if you do group some of them that will work. Like why the mechanical devises that are sealed are bad, I had no idea.
Why all mods needs vents, I didn't really know that until I found posts about it. The difference in battery chemistry and why. I finally got to some safe chemistry info on the provapes site about why magnanese is considered safer chemistry than cobalt, here it is the amount of heat they can take before becoming unstable. So I had to search the ECF for links for all this to learn it. I have been on a Battery 101 quest to learn as much as I can :) Thanks for all you do for vapers! bnrk

edit: Also maybe have a newbie test like what is a battery, what is an unprotected battery, what is protected, what is a safer chemistry battery, what is a counterfit battery, what is a rechargable battery, why is a non rechargable battery unable to be charged, what is a battery charger, why is it important to know how to charge a battery properly, basic things they need to know. like eCig safety 101 :) bnrk

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Counterfeit batteries- Ok tell me about counterfeits, what we do know. Are they being passed off as safer chemistry when they are infact cobalt? Are they being made with inferior materials and no quality control? What is the actual problem being found in counterfeits- I need to know :) Thanks! bnrk

simply me

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
california
All mod's should come with some kind of manual explaining these things. Most people getting there first e-cig is clueless to how to use them. I've been vaping for over 2 years and got this little firefly and had a time figuring out how to turn it on. I don't care how long you have been vaping if it's your first mod then you don't know anything about it. Manufactures or vendors should have a small manual inserted in each kit.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers

We probably won't know more till the court case, Wiz. As far as I am aware the Icon was their 6v device, it was when I looked a little while back. Gone now. Maybe the guy who told me had remembered it wrong though as the suit filed mentions the Prodigy. I was told it was "the Icon v3".

I agree with you that 6v vaping is a cheap way to get HV, maybe it was the best a while back - not so sure now. I was very happy with 5v for a long time, for sure. VV looks as if it is the way things are going now. If we accept 6v vaping will always be here (and it will as long as there are devices that allow two batts), then maybe we should be careful about exactly how it is presented. Nobody is probably going to argue now that there are certain routes you could take that will put you in the danger zone. That being the case I just feel happier recommending VV, or 5v boxmods for example.

Eventually there will be 5 million vapers in the US, then 10 million. It's a mass market thing now even if some of the old hands aren't comfortable with that. That probably means we have to change our ways in some respects, Mr and Mrs Average are going to buy the gear and they will assume that if it's for sale then it's like a flashlight or a kitchen hand mixer - put some batts in it and away you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread