Complete NOOB's review of the 902

Status
Not open for further replies.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Got mine today, first day vaping. Lovin the 902. Awesome piece of kit for a first-timer. Here's my observations:

1) I was expecting it to be a bit bigger/longer (never personally heard that before, but ya know...). It's barely longer than an analog 100. I'm a little shocked... Blu's must be tiny!

2) Being new to this, it's almost inconceivable that the 902 PCC can hold so much, well, stuff! 2 batts, an atty (with cart) and 5 spare carts! Dude, this thing is a road warrior! And if the batts are as good as people say they are, I doubt I'll be charging too often.

3) Speaking of batts...I'm alternating between the manual and auto. I think the manual gives better hits. I'm not extra impressed with the auto. Maybe if I didn't have a manual I'd be happy. That may change, though. Jury's still out. My buddy has a sideshow hybrid and reports he got 16 hours on the auto battery before needing to charge. HEHE...we'll see if the 902 can beat that!

4) It REALLY IS possible to pull too hard/vape too much. I guess I found out what "throat hit" is all about. Kinda like smokin too many analogs back to back. Can't help it, this thing is too freakin cool for words. But, at least it's as close to smoking a real analog as I could have hoped for! BIG PLUS. Not lame by a long shot (IMHO)

5) All the reports about needing a couple days to break an atty in must be true. Vapor is a tiny bit inconsistent right now, but I'm sure that's prolly just me adjusting from sucking down an analog 100 in about 3 minutes flat. (Hey, it's cold here in Michigan, and I smoke outside. Gotta get it over with and get back in the house. No more of that for me, now!!!)

6) I'm already looking into getting the blue foam cart mod. I tried my hand at dripping a little while ago and it was night and day. WHOA!! That being said, we'll see how long it takes me to empty out a pre-filled 902 cart. Seems like I could be waiting a while...

7) Tony's the mizzo-frizzo MAN!!! Thanks a milion, Tony, for the extra sum'n sum'n in the box. AND answering my questions. AND filling an order that wasn't supposed to be possible since the site is glitchy. Man, you really do go the extra mile for your customers, don't you?

And lastly: I started 4 hours ago, and I had exactly 1 analog since then (while the batteries charged), and already feel the desire to smoke any more going away.

I guess this really isn't so much a review of the 902 as it is my noob testimony? Oh well. I'm REALLY happy with my purchase.

Now, anybody got a good method to empty out a pre-filled cart? I wanna load one up with the juice I bought, but I don't know if I should try to rinse/reuse the stock poly filler, or try using a PTB this soon.

(Funny note: My son came in the room right after I vaped some ModernVapors Menthol, and liked the smell. Said it smelled like "peppermints", and asked if I could come vape in his room! :thumbs: I'm wondering what the family's gonna do when I get some Waffles and Peach Cobbler goin on!)

Last edited:

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Thanks for the review! I have a Sidesho and want to get a 902 atty and carts. Yeah if its anything like the Sidesho, if you give the atty 2 days and get the blue foam asap, you'll see a huge difference. My only issue is I can't figure out why one day I'm getting a lot of flavor and the next I'm not. Throat hit and vapor stay pretty consistent though. If I can't figure it out, I'll start a thread. Thanks again.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Well, my nirvana just took a hit...I was charging the manual batt in the PCC, went to pull it out, PCC held on to the battery button and now it's stuck in the PCC case somewhere.:(

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT...a little vigorous shaking and it came out. WHEW!!!

AND: I decided to go ahead, sacrifice one half-smoked pre-fill, took out the filler, put in the PTB mod and filled it with what HAD to be 25-26 drops of Nu-Port...NICE!!! I can see and feel the difference now!

Last edited:

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Update: I'm loving Vaping, and I'm pretty sure the 902 has a lot to do with that, especially being a noob.

Pros:
  • It's just damn easy to use. Now, granted, I'm a pretty technical guy, and I love gadgets...but it really doesn't get much easier than this.
  • I haven't had any leaking, I HAVE gotten some juice in the mouth (due to trying cart mods and over-filing)
  • The batteries are pretty long-lasting, so is the PCC. Took me 4 days between PCC charges, and I'm rotating three batts (two auto, one manual)
  • Carts hold a ton of juice, this really is an all-day sucker (at least for me)

Cons:
  • NEED MORE COLORS! I like the black, don't get me wrong, but I'd love to have a little more flash like what's coming on the SideSho. Right now, people just think I'm sucking on an ink pen until it lights up.
  • Cart fill mods are necessity. The manufacturers really should put some more thought into the stock polyfill. It's a waste of juice. No, really...
  • No more stink breath! (oh, wait...that's a pro ain't it?)

I just want to thank everyone who has been helpful to me here on ECF, and to Tony for bringing us such wonderful products and awesome customer service.

Now, let's get the word out, and if someone has one, do a youtube side-by-side of the 902 vs. the 901 and 510. I want to see just how this thing stacks up against the "favorites".

grndzero

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Tucson, AZ
How's the weight on 902? I found out the length is 118mm (4.6 in long!). I like to play poker and when it's my turn to deal, I usually just hold an analog in my lips as long as smoke doesn't accumulate around my face and choke me up. Can this thing be held in with just lips and/or teeth or does it have to be hands on at all times? How about the whistle tip vs. the round tip?

The promo image for the 902 package look like it comes with one whistle tip and one round? Can anyone confirm this?

There doesn't seem to be a select for tip style for the cartridges that come with the package? Are they round? or possibly mixed?

kaeo773

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Chicago USA
www.modernvapor.com
It comes with 5 round carts, and 2 blank flat tip on the atomizers. The flat tips/with cart are too tall to have in the 5 cart slots. You can only have 1 flat tip/cart & atomizer in the atomizer slot as pictured.

You can switch easily between the caps (round,flat) with the inner cartridge.

Yes, the flat tip rest easily in your mouth/teeth. I use them all the time when driving, or on the computer.

grndzero

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Glad this forum is here and Tony is on the spot answering questions.

I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks reading reviews and waiting for the 902 to be back in stock. My biggest problem is I'm at work all day and out late most nights so I need something with long battery life and holds a lot of juice so I don't have to carry an accessory bag of chargers and juice bottles, the 902 seems to fit that. Just trying to picture the size.

My first e-cig was the Smoke Assist promo. Must be a first gen or something because of the 30-45 min battery life at the most, and very small vapor cartridge (with no nicotine, grrr) . I'm returning it and luckily getting away from it for only the cost of shipping both ways (and still got to keep the cig to mod in the meantime). Wish I would have done my research first before jumping at the radio ad.

I was originally looking at the BLU as a replacement just for the look and found this forum and reviews on the Sidesho, 902, and MV. Lucky I didn't jump into the BLU or it seems I would have been in the same boat with short battey life, despite the PCC.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
@grndzero: The auto batteries on the 902 are smaller than the manual battery, and offer slightly better leverage to hang off your lip (flat tips are great for that as well). I prefer the round tips, they just "seem" to vape better IMHO.

Also, the PCC really does come in handy for on-the-go charging. I picked up an extra battery (a manual), and what I've found myself doing is:

Keep one fully-assembled e-cig in your pocket. One battery charging in the PCC, one fully charged batt in the PCC extra batt slot, spare atty with full cart in PCC, 5 full carts (in various flavors to suit my mood) ALSO in the PCC.

I can roll like that for a couple of days before I need to charge the PCC, and when I do, I just plug it in overnight. Take it off the charger in the morning, rotate the batteries for which one will do duty that day, refill/swap out any empty carts, and off I go, fully loaded.

Lastly, the carts on the 902 hold about a ml of juice, give or take. 1ml to me is about 1 pack of analogs. So, 1 cart in pocket, 6 more in the PCC, you can do the math. Unless you smoke 7 packs a day or are never close to an electrical outlet for more than 6 hours, any PCC is probably the best money you'll spend in e-cigs, period.

The 902 PCC just happens to have one more cart slot than most, and the 902 batteries last a pretty fair amount of time (I haven't gaged them myself), others have stated 902 batts run longer than Blu/Sidesho/Volcano (same model, l88b), Revolver, and 510. Of interest are those who place the 902 better than the 510, which is probably the most popular e-cig on the planet. I personally went with the 902 at first because I hated the design of current 510 PCCs. Second was due to hearing about 510s leaking (which I have tested the 902 for a week carrying in my pocket, lying on tables with overfilled carts, no leaks at all). Final straw was hearing that 902 batt life, vapor, cart capacity and TH were all superior to the 510. THAT was a no-brainer.

(I'm pretty proud and lucky to have bought probably the best mobile e-cig on the market as my first one...you'll probably be ecstatic as your 2nd)

Last edited:

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Oh, and if you STILL need the batt to be smaller for "off the lip" duty, Sidesho batts are 100% compatible (supposedly a tad smaller, and of course, batt life is reduced)

Anybody taken a ruler/scale to these things yet? Somebody fill in the blanks below
Model | Length (in/mm) | Weight (oz/g)
Sidesho auto batt:
Sidesho man. batt:
902 auto batt: 3.5in/84mm
902 man. batt: 3.75in/89mm

grndzero

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Tucson, AZ
@auTONYmous: Thanks for the info. The 902 seems to be the best PV out there and just keeps sounding better with the more info and reviews I read. It seriously needs more exposure in other forums and around the web. I see Tony is expecting and order sometime Friday. I can't wait.

I've seen E cigs sprouting up down here, mostly due to the mall carts. Starter packs are between $150-180 from the usual culprits?! Whenever people ask where they can get one I refer them to MV for something better at less than half that price. A lot of people are skeptical so I'm hoping I can get Tony some more business when I'm sitting at a poker table blowing bigger clouds than the analog puffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread