concerns about subohming

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
hello everyone! so today while watching a pbusardo video he was talking about something that went horribly wrong. while at an event someone was cloud chasing and the mod blew up. so now i have concerns about sub ohming as i do it myself. ive never gone below .4 ohms and always use a sony vtc5 30 amp battery. but now im a little concerned about what could go wrong. whats it like when a battery vents? i know the basics of battery safety, watch out for a hot mod or switch, never run it below 3.5, never leave it on the charger when its done, always check your ohms, know your amp limits uh...never put a battery in your pocket with other objects. thats all that comes to mind right now. heres a link to the video its at the very beginning. watch out people this is real and should be of some concern to everyone. stay safe and please dont kill yourself just to get a nicotine fix it isnt worth it.<br><br>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5m5KzNRaI&list=UUc345z36sFqyC1BheWmW_Iw

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Never hurts to remind folks of the potential dangers of super sub ohm vaping and safety while vaping with mechanicals.
The video has been posted several times in several different threads.

Never exceed the continuous discharge amp rate of any battery you use, leaving a little head room just in case is a good idea, some do some don't.
The battery you're using is considered one of the best, using a quality accurate ohm / multi meter to test coils isn't an optional step if you're concerned about safety.

Thread about incident at event ---> http://http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/594756-explosion-vape-blast.html

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
that guy looks lik one of the people from buzzfeed anyways, you guys are wonderful. anyone know the contiuneous discharge of a sony vtc5? im assuming what im doing is safe as im not superlow subohming?

you guys are wonderful thanks for the videos

Continuous discharge rating on the VTC5 is 30 amps. But they heat up pretty hot at 30A, so if you chain vape I would take the 30A spec with a grain of salt :)

jayme396

Unresolved Status
Aug 10, 2014
Lafayette
Topwater Elvis brings up a point many cloud chasers don't look into. I see a lot of people who have VTC5 batteries and running at 25amps. Even though the battery is rated for 30 amps, this is a PEAK amp discharge level. Kinda like how most subwoofer companies say their 80 dollar sub is 1000 watts. This is peak watts and looks good in advertising. But the truth is, if you constantly run the speaker at 1000 watts, its life is greatly reduced. Same for batteries. You want to look at continueous amperage. A good rule of thumb is don't pull more then half of what the battery is rated for. Keeping a VTC at 15A discharge is very safe. Just make sure you're order REAL VTC5! That's one of the main reasons for battery venting. A VTC IMR battery is very safe. I tested how long it would take for one to explode. I short circuited the battery and it smoked for about 4 minutes before exploding.as long as your mod has vent holes, and you're running legit batterys at continueous rating, you're golden brother. No worries.

P.S don't go cheap on an Ohms meter!! Go to a pawn shop and buy a Fluke multimeter. They're excellent and last forever

P.S.S I almost forgot to say, make sure your mod has a safety lock for the fire button! I didn't have one on my first mod and I had it in my pocket and it discharged for a whole minute. I had VTC4 battery in it. The cotton was on fire and I thought it was venting, I threw it in my yard. Check it the next day, battery was fine. It was at 3.6 volts lol.

Last edited:

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
one question though how can you tell if the battery is legitimate or not? i bought my batteries from rtd vapors or something like that.

id never buy a battery off fasttech or ebay. so is it safe to assume that a battery purchased from a vaping website (which i believe is sponsored by ecf) sells safe batteries?

Last edited:

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
that guy looks lik one of the people from buzzfeed anyways, you guys are wonderful. anyone know the contiuneous discharge of a sony vtc5? im assuming what im doing is safe as im not superlow subohming?

you guys are wonderful thanks for the videos

30 amps continuous if it is a real Sony

How to spot a fake Sony VTC5 battery

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
one question though how can you tell if the battery is legitimate or not? i bought my batteries from rtd vapors or something like that.

id never buy a battery off fasttech or ebay. so is it safe to assume that a battery purchased from a vaping website (which i believe is sponsored by ecf) sells safe batteries?
RTD Vapor -- you should be good! How to Spot Fake Sony Batteries

Here's my standard FYI battery post!

WHERE TO GET BATTERIES
Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are a few reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics
* RTD Vapor

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla

rtdvapor is a trusted place to buy legitimate batteries.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
also something interesting since were talking about batteries; if i can find the picture i saw some dude on the fasttech forums stack ten vtc5 batteries in ne of his mods (he just kept connecting tubes). that obviously wont end well and i believe is extremely frowned upon by the community. *sigh* what a ....ing idiot
Once you realise that all the limitations are down to using batteries, the glamour of ultra-low ohms goes away.

Buy Embedded Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) 240W 1 Output Embedded Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS), 15V, 20A Excelsys XG3 online from RS for next day delivery.
That's 15V at 20A, or 300W, fully isolated from the mains with current limiting in case of shorts. At 15V, a 100W coil is 2.25 ohms, so it's pretty safe to build accurately.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. Personally I haven't wanted more than 20W. And I'm not saying that using that beast is safe; you'd have to know what you were doing to build with it, but it's a hell of a lot safer than pushing Lithium batteries to their limit and trusting a cheap resistance meter below 0.2 ohms.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Battery Basics for Mods

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

modschapnel.jpg modexplosion.jpg Vape Blast mod explosion

mod-explosion-3.jpg mod-explosion-2.jpg mod-explosion-1.jpg different mod explosion

Last edited:
I was there for that VapeBlast Mod Explosion... It was pretty intense... Sounded like a bomb, shrapnel went through the roof...

The way I look at it, if you have a functioning, clean mod, with vent holes and you stay a good amount within the max discharge rate of the battery(on noted good quality batteries), you will be ok...

Always check your batteries for physical defects by looking them over and checking its charge after charging it.

I.E., I am running a .7 ohm coil, so if my math doesn't fail me, with a fully charged battery @ 4.2V, I'm hitting around 6A / 25W of power...

My batteries are rated at 35A max discharge rate... 35A > 6A :toast:

Correct me if I am wrong people

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread