Confused about ecigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chintzy82

Jan 30, 2016
I'm relatively new to the concept of ecigs. I've been using a kangatec tank with a 1.5 coil and a eleaf variable wattage battery. But I want to change it as its had some bad press about it blowing up!! I need some suggestions as I enjoy vaping and have managed to quit smoking but don't like the idea that it could blow up! Can I please have some suggestions on aha I can buy in the UK that's safer than I'm using but is variable??

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
There were millions of e-cigs sold last year in the UK. How many have blown up through manufacturing fault as opposed to user error? Do we know?... it is so small I doubt it could be quantified as a %.

The bloke who has ruined his life and got so dreadfully burned (yes, no dispute here) left it charging overnight.

Never leave any Lithium-ion battery charging unattended.

The iStick is as safe as anything else (of that type).. and less of a worry than dishwashers, mobile phones and hoverboards.

If an external battery mod is safer (batteries charged in an external charger) then that is the way forward. I do this... and this doesn't get left on unattended either.

I also have iSticks. No worries here. Actually, I have four of them.

Sorry. As sad as it is all this has been hyped to bash e-cigs.

Last edited:

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Thanks all. I guess what I'm looking for is a cape that has a protected battery??? Any suggestions on what to buy either combinations or as a package to change my whole vaping stick would be welcome
What I've done was stuck with a couple of quality variable wattage Mods. Provari 2.5 is quality and simple & Vaporshark Dna 40r another quality simple mod with Temp control. Both around $100 Usd. Both of which I've had for awhile without any issue whatsoever.
Both are Rock Solid and have battery protection; the Provari requires a 18500 battery & charger is my travel Vape and the Dna40 is larger and my go to at home but has an internal battery that recharges with a micro usb
Hope that helps you.
Peace and Vape on

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I've got the eleaf istick variable battery- 20w but im using a kangertech mega tank with a 1.5 ohm coil
There is nothing wrong with the istick 20 watt. I have 4 of them and they all work great. Are you having problems with it or do you just want to try something different?

If you want to try something different
  • do you want a mod with an internal battery (like the iStick) or
  • do you want a mod that uses an 18650 battery that you remove to charge
  • are you interested in a mod that also offers temperature control in addition to variable v/w.
  • for a new tank, do you want a tank that you can direct lung inhale or are you primarily interested in M2L (mouth-2-lung) inhaling?

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks all. I guess what I'm looking for is a vape that has a protected battery??? Any suggestions on what to buy either combinations or as a package to change my whole vaping stick would be welcome

There are batteries called "protected" but that means something a little different to what you are thinking. Let me quote @prof beard (yes, a real professor too!)

"Most protected batteries are only protected against under/over charge, some are also protected against short-circuit. Used PROPERLY in an e-cig and charged in a PROPER charger (which has protection built in), problems with unprotected batteries should be VERY rare indeed - many reported problems (I'm not saying all) are caused by "misuse/mischarging".

Further info; what you have in your iStick is (I believe) is a standard Lithium-ion 18650 battery. That is what Eleaf put in there. If you go out and buy a new mod and a new battery, you still have a Li-ion battery in an e-cig mod.

You have the 20w, which has very, very few problems. The 50w had a rocky start.

BUT, if you are sure you want to move on, then tell us a little more. :)

(Sorry, I should be helping rather than convince you it's basically a safe mod)

Reactions: Chintzy82

Chintzy82

Jan 30, 2016
There is nothing wrong with the istick 20 watt. I have 4 of them and they all work great. Are you having problems with it or do you just want to try something different?

If you want to try something different
  • do you want a mod with an internal battery (like the iStick) or
  • do you want a mod that uses an 18650 battery that you remove to charge
  • are you interested in a mod that also offers temperature control in addition to variable v/w.
I worry about overcharging it. So that's why I want to change it for one where there is a protection that prevents this from happening. So paranoid that I don't let it charge for more than 10 minutes! I would feel happier with something that was protected. I'm not really fussed about where the batteries are changeable as long as they hav

Chintzy82

Jan 30, 2016
I worry about overcharging it. So that's why I want to change it for one where there is a protection that prevents this from happening. So paranoid that I don't let it charge for more than 10 minutes! I would feel happier with something that was protected. I'm not really fussed about where the batteries are changeable as long as they have an cut off

Chintzy82

Jan 30, 2016
There are batteries called "protected" but that means something a little different to what you are thinking. Let me quote @prof beard (yes, a real professor too!)

"Most protected batteries are only protected against under/over charge, some are also protected against short-circuit. Used PROPERLY in an e-cig and charged in a PROPER charger (which has protection built in), problems with unprotected batteries should be VERY rare indeed - many reported problems (I'm not saying all) are caused by "misuse/mischarging".

Further info; what you have in your iStick is (I believe) is a standard Lithium-ion 18650 battery. That is what Eleaf put in there. If you go out and buy a new mod and a new battery, you still have a Li-ion battery in an e-cig mod.

You have the 20w, which has very, very few problems. The 50w had a rocky start.

BUT, if you are sure you want to move on, then tell us a little more. :)

(Sorry, I should be helping rather than convince you it's basically a safe mod)
That's ok.I'm paranoid its going to overcharge and so will only charge for 10 mins or so. Which doesn't really last and my tank keeps leaking which is another reason I want something new

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yes, I can believe the tank might leak. Does it have a name other than Kanger?(Kangertech).
Something like the Aspire K1 might work for you better, or the Eleaf GS Air tank, which was designed to go on the iStick. It's still a good tank even if you don't trust the battery. I ordered some today (GS Tank, not GS Air) from China. Back-ups for the ban on tanks over 2ml.
Aspire Mini Nautilus is quite good too.

Have a look around on here. You'll have to ignore all the crazy stuff.

Clearomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread