Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
For me trapping the wire is faster, easier, and works very well as I wind my coils right from the spool instead of cutting off a random length. No kinks or bends in it anywhere, no wasted wire. So not interested in fooling around with tape, threading it through holes, bending the wire, etc.

Another tidbit... you only need to let one mostly full 100' spool get away from you with nothing holding the wire to not make that mistake again. Wire everywhere - all over the floor, the desk and you. It is a RPITA to untangle the mess without kinking it and rewind by hand back onto the spool. Takes a lot of time as well. Ask me how I know that one... I triple dog dare you. ;)

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Each one of my spools are in it's own ziplock sandwich bag and I use a small piece of duct tape to tape the end down to the plastic part of the spool. Works like a charm ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62
That's a good idea Momma!

Maybe I'm the only one who uses the hole in the spool to trap the end of the kanthal?

Nope R2C2 I put the wire in the hole provided. It only makes since to use it as is. If it's too long its okay it'll sit there until used.
Not all come with the hole. This one from RTD did not.

m3nace

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
That's a good idea Momma!

Not all come with the hole. This one from RTD did not.
Take a razor blade or knife and cut a slit in it no longer than a couple centimeters and slide the wire into that and just bend it at the end it'll do the same thing as the hole some of mine didn't come with holes either but would have a slit instead

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Same here, my spool has holes in the side and I just use the holes to keep wire in place. I made that same mistake when I first got the roll in the mail and went to make my first coil. I didn't secure the wire and set the spool down and wham-o! Wire every where, I'll never make that mistake again.

30361c076a27894935e15951c4c0a179.jpg

14d24ff06e3dcd5cfdaa9a8b7abe0d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
No Penny, you're not the only one. If you look at the 2nd pic JetMac put up, I run mine through the lower hole in the spool. This also helps while I am coiling and put a lot of pressure on the spool pulling it back away as I am coiling. So much so, I actually pulled the wire out of the 1st hole on my spool of 27g I was pulling so hard one time. That is why I use the lower hole, not to mention my tensioned micros come out super tight...

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
For me trapping the wire is faster, easier, and works very well as I wind my coils right from the spool instead of cutting off a random length. No kinks or bends in it anywhere, no wasted wire. So not interested in fooling around with tape, threading it through holes, bending the wire, etc.

Another tidbit... you only need to let one mostly full 100' spool get away from you with nothing holding the wire to not make that mistake again. Wire everywhere - all over the floor, the desk and you. It is a RPITA to untangle the mess without kinking it and rewind by hand back onto the spool. Takes a lot of time as well. Ask me how I know that one... I triple dog dare you. ;)

only one?

you seriously lack my level of "talent" :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread