Status
Not open for further replies.

traderljp

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
South Florida
This one seems fair. The author does point out the risks, and maybe he could have gone in to more detail and not made those risks sound so mysterious and daunting (especially to the non-vaper who doesn't know what really goes into juice), but he also pointed out that it is obviously better than smoking. Hope more like this to come!!

cajunxrt

May 5, 2014
Houston
This article is great. We in the vaping community need more articles and news stories like this. I know this helps people quit smoking. My mom and srepdad have both smomed over 40 years and when I got them a setup they both started vaping exclusive. Now in 3 months my mom has stopped everything and my step dad is at 6mg. I am the same way.

willowize

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Tennessee
I found that it was an ok article. I liked the explanation of cigarette chemicals vs vapor. The truth that no long term risk are known at this time but that it is better for you than smoking and 60% better to help one quit smoking than other products currently on the market. The clearer lungs is definitely better.
I did not like the fact that the marketing to teenagers or non-smoking people was brought into the article. The fact that it is happening is also disturbing and vapors recognize this and want to say that parents should be more involved with their children and that regulation to not sale to underage teens is needed. Well we were all teenagers once too and we Know that teenagers will get them even if it is illegal to do so. I personally do not understand why a non-smoker would want to pick up an apv/cigalike, unless they are trying to fit into a click, but as long as they're 18 or older say that that is their choice.
I understand marketing is needed to help smokers learn of APV's (I hate the word e-cig) but I also believe that it shouldn't be glamorized.

Elantis

~≈Dragonfly≈~
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Hoosier Cornhusker
First I was glad the article started off on a positive note, with the references to Vaper's testimonials on how vaping has helped them. However I do wish they had gone into a little more details about the actual ingredients in the e-liquids. The PG and VG are already used in many other instances, and some still believe these are like "foreign" substances to stay away from when in fact we are subjected to these exact ingredients in many other forms.

I do feel that it would have been and excellent article had it not ended negatively in regards to the $$$...and the negative comments from Fairley.

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think that it's scary that someone can think like that....does that mean that he doesn't think the average adult likes chocolate or any candy at all? What about soda? Isn't it marketed to adults? Also why are there flavored alcohol drinks? Why don't they only have beer?
And of course many vapers don't want tobacco flavors after awhile..because when they get their taste buds back...it really does taste bad. or at least move on to some flavor that they do like.......
It's absurd......

sashim80

Ultra Member
Jun 18, 2014
Gainesville, Florida,USA
It was ok. I do wish they would have mentioned more explaining about the pg and vg and how its used in inhalers every day food and hospital air control. I always use those points when taking to people about vaping. About how its been tested for inhalation but of course we don't know exactly what the flavorings do when heated and inhaled. Anyway, Nice to see vaping being spread in the news tho! :) thanks for helping spread the word by posting your contest!

Last edited:

Summerlovin

Jul 17, 2014
Louisiana
Glad to see some positive notes in this article, but the negative vibe still bothers me. The "new users" they are trying to get are likely to be individuals who smoke and why wouldn't they want businesses to get them to vaping???? Hopefully the tide will continue to change in a more positive direction. Still some unknowns out there but it is still safer than the alternative.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Honestly - While it was somewhat interesting to read as a sidenote, it was not a news worthy article as much as it tried to be one . . . BTW: I really dislike "Sound-bite" journalism that has become the norm for a majority of society . . .

More importantly, I cannot say that the "article" was either positive - nor negative, since to "Me" it was so overly simplified and looked to be hastily written with no in-depth research at all (BTW: Could the reporter just have gotten out of Journalism school since it read as though it came from his "notebook" . . .;) ). Matter of fact, IMO - The "article" seemed to be more of what someone could read into it, then something that was more informative and gave an equally balance view concerning the use of electronic cigarettes and what is currently happening. Where as the second article was just passing along a summary of the recent ECF Survey outcomes (including links to other information and articles - that were used in their research . . . :thumbs:). It is just too bad that the both of them could not have been used together for a more concise, informative, and better written article that the general public could read.

NOW - Don't get "Me" wrong, I am not looking for a New York Times in depth article written by some pseudo intellectual. NOR - For an article written by a medical doctor/researcher talking about the possible health benefits compared to smoking cigarettes/other smoking cessation products on the market to be published in a professional journal, such as The New England Journal of Medicine (Although that might be really good to have at this point in time . . . :D).

Just a common sense fair and equally balanced basic "NEWS Article" - without all the overt sensationalism ("Salvation/New Dangers" - OH PLEASE ! ! ! ) - that an everyday person can read to make up their mind about the choices that are available out there and available to them if they smoke cigarettes and/or to the public's safety in general for those who are concerned about "Second-hand" Vapor, etc. would be nice. ;)

Just "My" Personal Opinion and :2c: . . . :facepalm:

BTW: I found this one to interesting to read too - Taxing E-Cigarettes Seems Crazy - Forbes

Last edited:
I agree and disagree. It would have been nice to see some more clear and scientific information in the first article but I was shocked to see and article that gave both sides of the story. It seemed to be less of a ''this is how it is'' and more of a ''straight from the vapers mouth'' type of read. The second article was just fantastic to me because we can use it to fight Mr. Fairly's argument (who is one of the rudest and most disrespectful people that I have ever seen) of ''adults don't like things that taste good.'' Because. You know. Adults OBVIOUSLY want everything to be bitter and tasteless.

This is also very interesting. This is John Oliver so not all of this story is serious and there are some jokes and colorful language. (easily offended look away)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Dr. Oz and Nutritional Supplements (HBO) - YouTube
Does Tom Harkin look familiar? He should. Senate Hearing On E-Cigarettes - YouTube

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Now - THAT was humorous ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would have been a much better report which should have been used by MSNBC instead of the other one . . . ;)

AND - THANK YOU ! ! ! for that laugh . . . :thumbs:

BTW: IMO - It would be nice to see "John Oliver" do a similar bit on "eCig's" and the proposed regulations . . . ;)

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
ALSO THIS! I Watched the hearing where Rockefeller said these things (at the end) and it made me sick.

Survey Shows Adults Who Use E-Cigarettes To Quit Smoking Prefer Supposedly Juvenile Flavors - Forbes

You have to look back at his life to understand him. He has felt the need to take care of people or at least tell them what he thinks is best for them from the time he was in his early 20's. Labels are power... you call us juveniles or infer it and that suggests we need to be taken care of... At least he has said he won't seek another term so he should be gone in Nov.

chellemmm

Chihuahua Queen
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I didn't mind the article so much, seems to be "typical" visual journalism. It did not get in depth about much of anything, but it DID mention the thousands of chemicals in cigarettes and the anecdotal comment on breathing more easily.
Although it did reference one study (in England) it could have gone much more deeply into ... ANYTHING. It just seemed to skim around the periphery.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
I do agree that it is rare to find an article like this from an NBC source. I bet they had to add the little part at the end about targeting non-smokers to get it pushed through though. LOL

I think the most positive thing here is a lot of people will read this. It is written from the perspective of an outsider - neither a smoker or non-smoker really. And from that angle, I think the author did an excellent job of describing the industry. He pointed out the negative aspects of smoking, and summarized that using common sense tells us that e-cigs are safer. Scientifically, we can't prove that because there's no data. But, we have to give the skeptics that much. Being of a scientific background myself, I must respect the power of non-skewed data. But, come on. Just the ingredients in the two compared alone should give most an honest outlook of what to expect.

I hope to see more articles like this in the future, but it's going to be a tough road. From the big tobacco lobbyists to the Feds wanting their hand in everything, it's really tough to say what's in the future for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread