Converting people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sockfootball21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Pa
So I stopped over and saw my sister the other day and she was out having a smoke. I pulled out my ego twist and had her try a few different flavors. I couldn't talk to her for long (she was at work) so I plan on seeing her Tuesday to give her the whole low down on ecigs. Yeah I want to help her be more healthy but that's not the full reason. The more people I get to covert to ecigs the more juice I can try without spending a ton of money. Am I the only one who thinks of that or am I just a ...? Lol

Sunnycaat

Verified Member
Sep 30, 2012
Newport Beach, CA
Hi. I, too, just recently made the switch to e- cigs. I, too, recently approached the subject with my sister. My sister is a non- smoker and has always hated smoking, but has had a BF for several years now who is never without a cig.

He's in his 30s and he has yet to EVER be able to hold a job because his nicotine addiction is so extreme. My sister is working herself to death to support him, and his cig habit (Cigs in CA have been taxed to death and are now approx $7 a pack in So. Cal, so his cig habit alone is approx $500/ month). His cig habit is ruining HER life and HER health too. She can't afford it financially, and we've seen her own health rapidly/ shockingly deteriorate over the course of this relationship. He makes A LOT of excuses, he's made a lot of excuses about E- cigs, he's one of those all talk no action people. So, I did all the E- cig research for HER, narrowed it down to make it very simple for HER.
V4L even happened to be having a 30% off sale that weekend. Every possible excuse he could come up with, I made sure to address.... to help HER.

The outcome of my efforts: No change. No appreciation/ thanks either.

Making the change is a personal thing, the smoker has to come to the decision on their own, in their own time, for whatever reason. However, it's great to educate a sibling/ friend/ even a stranger so they know this option is available to them. It's great to lead, encourage and "help" your sister by example. That's the best thing you can do to help your sister... it can't be about juice samples, it has to be about your sister and only about your sister. Priorities.

Skip buying something else to buy extra juice if that's important to you and funds are limited. If you could buy "analogs", you can buy juice.

Most importantly: There is no price that can even be put on health. Without health, everything else is meaningless.
Adding years to your life = Priceless. Improving the quality of your life = Priceless. Having your sister in your life, alive and healthy, for years/ decades to come = Priceless.

Best of luck to you!

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry to hear that your sister has someone that self-destructive and/or stubborn and/or stupid in her life. In a perfect world, she'd drop him like a bad habit - like smoking.

Now that there's vaping, there is no longer a valid reason to smoke.

Last edited:

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry to hear that your sister has someone that self-destructive and/or stubborn and/or stupid in hre life. In a perfect world, she'd drop him like a bad habit - like smoking.

Now that there's vaping, there is no longer a valid reason to smoke.

Agreed on both accounts, seconded on both as well.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
If that guy is so addicted to smoking, give him some 48mg juice and let him smoke himself till he gets a mild case of nicotine poisoning. It sounds to me he isnt so much addicted to the nicotine and wta as he is with the actual habit. In which case he needs some psycological support from a trained professional. I have known people also who literally try to smoke themselves to death.

Whatever his case may be 500 dollars on a habit of his that she is supporting is ridiculous, thats my rent and my phone+internet+electric bill every month. Just to put things into perspective.

Tell her if he insists on not smoking ecigs that he cant have marlboros anymore, buy his ... a few pounds of pipe tobacco/tubes/and a machine to make them. Pipe tobacco alone is 1/4 the price of regular tobacco "at least it is in ohio" because it doesnt have alot of the extra chemicals companies put in there, but they are just as satisfying as regular tobacco.

If you dont have any tobacco shops near or if you do. Look for OHM pipe tobacco, it is very high quality tobacco, tastes great, smokes great, its just as good and I like my marlboro reds...used to anyways.

Just look at OHM prices. http://www.bnbtobacco.com/brands/ohm/ excellent product. I VERY HIGHLY recommend for any smoker who cant switch to ecigs but doesnt want to spend all their money.
I was a pack a day smoker, and 1 pound is 4 cartons "roundabout" So 1 pound would last me a month easy. Cost me 30 dollars a month that way to smoke since I had to buy tubes. I have to DIY my own juices to make ecigs cheaper than that, would be like 20 a month if i DIY my own juice.

But if he is that addicted to smoking, maybe you should have him checked into a betty ford or something. Cause really nicotine is more addictive than heroine. If he has that big of a problem, force your sister to get him some help. Just because its legal doesnt mean it cant ruin your life, and your health, and your relationships with the people you love.

God bless, best of luck.

Last edited:

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Back on subject, YEP I am trying to convert people myself. In my area I think the closest vape shop is like 50 some odd miles away. And we all know the stores have the crap ones so it turns them off of it big time. But im bound and determined to help as many people quit as possible. I might even go as far as buy some of the 20$ volt starter things and hand them out monthly randomly to smokers I see.

Lbox88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
West Michigan
I'm trying as I learn more. I donated my VGo to my brother and a business card for the place by me in hopes that he will quit. He smokes those stubby Marlboro 27's and is pretty much a chain smoker once he gets home from work (19 years in the navy, stationed in VA). I made him try it in front of me since he had already started to think about getting a set, fresh battery, freshly filled carto. He started coughing like a new smoker lol, looked up at me and said "whoo, that really hits you pretty fast!" waiting to get a reply from him to see what he thinks.

I think I ended up hooking him up with a half dozen new cartos, 6 different flavors of juice, plus the case, 2 batteries, and charger.

I also tried to turn a buddy from college when I was first starting to try e-cigs a year ago, did not work too well. He was hanging out with another guy tho who was more knowledgeable and he ended up going out and buying a tube mod that weekend. Still trying to ween off of stinkies but he has cut down a little bit at least. Now to just work my way up to a mod and use my ego to convert someone else.....

Sunnycaat

Verified Member
Sep 30, 2012
Newport Beach, CA
Re: How to get sample flavors in expensively... I've noticed sites that offer sampler packs. V4L has a few different pre-filled cart sample packs.... inexpensive way to sample 5 without a big investment. They also always have sales, you just have to check often/ search for coupon codes. Also, it sounds like they often include some free single sample carts with orders. Johnson Creek has sampler packs of all their juices, plus offers 10% off any 3 bottles.

I know everyone says flavor/ taste is really subjective, but it's helped me a lot to search out reviews/ descriptions of various kinds of juices/ carts on here just to at least get a basic idea before ordering. over time.... when we first start our taste/ smell is all messed up from the smoke/ chemicals in the analogs. Also, over time one someone formerly loved, they no longer like... another they formerly didn't care for much becomes their new fav, etc. Personally, I'm just sticking to pre-filled carts for right now to ease the transition from "analogs" more easily. But I foresee myself eventually getting into VG juices since they seem more natural, less harsh.

Of course a financial incentive from the e-cig company is an additional reason to try to convert people. I think your desire to share your pleasure with vaping is a great idea and additionally saving money on products as a result does not diminish the positives! Since I began vaping a month and a half ago, I have been approached by people asking about my e-cigs. I tell them what I love about vaping and recommend the manufacturer I use. My boyfriend, who had open heart surgery in April and has reverted to smoking, is actually beginning to seriously consider e-cigs. He is in his early 60's and is overwhelmed by technology in general. The fact that he is considering the switch is awesome! Any days that he isn't smoking have got to be better for him, right?

I had only one negative encounter related to vaping. I was in a supermarket check-out line and had my e-cig in my hand. The cashier asked what it was and I told her. She then began to say that she quit smoking thirteen years ago and that the only healthy choice was to quit completely. She also stated that it has been proven that e-cigs cause cancer the same as regular cigarettes. I considered trying to explain to her that there is a dearth of research related to the effects of nicotine absent tobacco products but that research done in the late 90's showed no negative impact on the rat subjects on whom it was tested. Unfortunately, she had the "look of the zealot" in her eye. You know that glassy, yet hyperfocused burning look? Realized that I wouldn't have a chance using facts to change her "religion". Other than my fanatic cashier, I have had many positive responses and open-minded consideration.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
He's in his 30s and he has yet to EVER be able to hold a job because his nicotine addiction is so extreme

I know my opinion was not asked - Im giving it to you for free. The fact that this guy does not work has nothing to do with his nicotine addiction. Its all about him being lazy and discovering that he can play the "poor me" card and get a free ride. Your sister should kick his .... to the curb and let him vampire off someone else.

As for the OP - I suggest just being easy going with her about e-cigs. Pressure usually makes most of us put up our walls and refuse to budge even if we know there is a better way.
Just let her see you use yours and see how much pleasure you get from it. Dont pressure her. She will want to try it - and then she will start to see how good vaping can be. That is usually all the motivation most people need if they are actually willing to move off cigs. that method worked for my bf and now we both vape happily.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Enigma -

Welcome to the forum! I feel your pain completely about people who have quit smoking on their own, and are therefore convinced that theirs is THE way to go. Many of our species enjoy feeling superior, to the point of causing harm to others of their species. It's sad, really, but those people need our forgiveness, along with everyone else who does things we don't appreciate.

I ran into another one of those types a couple of weeks ago. Some guy in his hospital scrubs with "St. Francis Hospital Cardiology Dept." embroidered on them. I asked him if he would rather see his patients smoking cigarettes, or vaping. He "colored outside the lines" and said "neither". He had quit smoking, so everyone else should just do the same. He said that nictotine all by itself was still very harmful, and told me to look up "nicotinic acid" and "nitric oxide". When I got home, I did. Nictotinic acid is a synonym for niacin - Vitamin B3 - often taken as a dietery supplement to reduce "bad" cholesterol and raise "good" cholesterol. And nitric oxide is formed by the acetylaldehyde in tobacco smoke, not by nicotine. In my view, that makes this person dangerous to society.

In his defense, he did cause me to look further than I had before into the effects of nicotine (all by itself) on the human body, and I did find something that, if correct, is disheartening. It has little or nothing to do with what he said, but it just might be the case that nicotine does damage the linings of large- and medium-sized arteries by accelerating plaque formation:

"Recently, a study conducted at Brown University in Providence, RI, uncovers how nicotine contributes to cardiovascular disease.

According to the study, nicotine determines the endothelium, cells lining blood vessels, to remodel. Blood vessels consist of three layers: adventitia, media, containing smooth muscle cells, and intima, consisting of endothelial cells. Nicotine promotes the invasion of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) from the media to the intima. In addition, nicotine causes invading cells to remodel. More specifically, the actin cytoskeleton forms podosomes, which regulate metalloproteinase (MMP) release for the extracellular matrix (ECM) degradation. Consequently, this fact leads to vessel degradation and, eventually, to atherosclerosis. The results of this study will be presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society (BPS), held in February. 25-29 in San Diego, California".

Read more: Research Involves Nicotine In The Pathogenesis Of Atherosclerosis

HOWEVER: I think it remains indisputable - even if this research finding is confirmed - that vaping is vastly less harmful than smoking cigarettes, for obvious reasons. If nicotine itself actually does have this effect on blood vessels, then for me, [nicotinized] vaping will become more of an intermediate step away from smoking, with the goal of eventually getting off of vaping entirely, or at the least, reducing the nicotine level as close to zero as possible. After all, I spent my first six months of vaping at zero nicotine. Maybe I'll just have to find another source for increased dopamine levels in the brain, in place of nicotine.

Lastly - I too had open-heart surgery, and I too went back to smoking afterward, until finally discovering vaping. And I too was incredibly confused by all of the terminology, hardware choices, and the whole bit. Now there is an incredibly simple pathway to a very good vape:

Two or three Joyetech eGo-C Twists; I like the 650mah size
Two chargers in case one craps out
Two or three Vivi Nova tank/atomizers
Juice

That's it. That's what I'm using right now, after buying and researching ALL kinds of stuff for over a year.

If you email me, you or your BF can call me and I'll mentor you for free. He's gotta get off of the ciggies, which are now IMO unnecessary, since vaping is more enjoyable with the right hardware and the right juice.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Lbox88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
West Michigan
I can say I have successfully converted one person now. I am on another forum for car audio and after a few people saw what I was buying (we have a thread for pics of your latest purchase) I started getting a lot of questions and so far, one guy has had 24 hours without an analog. I really do hope he joins here, I know we can all be proud of him in his efforts to make his life better and improve his health.

cdaguy

Oct 19, 2012
Idaho
I'm trying as I learn more. I donated my VGo to my brother and a business card for the place by me in hopes that he will quit.

That's how I got my roommate to stop. I gave him my old model when I got a different one. And I think he may have been a little jealous that while he was outside freezing his rear off in the snow smoking, I was inside happily vaping away. :)

Doogmar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Lake Tahoe
I let my friend use my V2 system a couple of days ago, I gave him everything I had for that system, gave him some juice, including all the tobacco ones I had, and showed him how to refill cartos. He just IM'd me that he wants one like I have. I told him that there are less expensive things than what I have, like a Twist, or Spinner, but he insists he wants a Provari. So I'm helping to set up with a Provari and some Vivi Novas, oh and my favorite juice vendor.

I'm really glad he is quitting, but a nice byproduct of it is, more juice to sample :p

Steelvap3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
DHARTI
Nice thread...
I personally LOVE vapin.... The effect that smokin has on u is pretty fun and addictive... But it doesnt essentially mean you have to smoke cigarettes to enjoy that.
I used to smoke for 5 years.. usually 20-30 a day... it was pretty fun but there are times where i hated the stink it leaves.
Then I got into an accident with left me with .... loads o fractures and made me bed bound..
So smoking stopped there...
Research shows smoking decreases the rate of bone absorption in your body and bone density overall..
That was enough to spook me as i wanted to be mobile asap...
But then I didn't need any alternatives since I stopped it.
My Dad tho has been smoking for well over 44 years... that too figures reaching 40+ cigs a day
It has started to take its toll on him recently..
So 2 yrs back i started searchin for an alternative and ended up buying a cheap chinese E cigarette..
Well it didn't work out that well since the vapour production was pathetic and I always thought water vapour was the end product and never thought of lookin at it any further since the options we have in our country for E cigs are pathetic. Even now there are no suppliers for Ego or its knock off's. Then I got an E cig called steamlite which is not bad at all.. Found out glycerin is the main ingredient and after cooking up lots of test batches here I am waiting to place my first order with heathcabin.
The 1st complaint my dad had was less vapour which I tried VG and it works great..
Now there is no throat hit it seems so I am just tryin up a batch with some ethanol in it.
As far as flavouring goes I use food essences from stores as there is nothing else here.. They have a PG base but their "nature identical flavours" quote worries me.
Calculated risks are fine by me... But not the plunge. :p

I joined ECF coz i wanted to ask Healthcabin a question :p.. Just waiting for my 5 posts :p..

This is the order I am startin with..
eGo T deluxe kit
18650 MOD
18650 controller

I know its a bit too much for a 1st time jump frm normal sticks to ego.
But I have used 18650's for my flashlight and know the risks involved... HUGE RISKS INVOLVED ACUALLY..

18650 is for me.. the eGo for pops.. well thought if the ego doesn't reach his desired level of vapour production, will nuke him with the 18650 :p

Seeing a chronic smoker approaching old age is a painful experience.. Especially the loved ones..

I vote for VAPE.....!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread