Cool fire 4 charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I recently purchased this and have a question. After charging for several hours the led never shuts off. The instruction manual seems contradictory. In one section it says when its fully charged the led will turn off.In another section it says when the battery is fully charged the led will power on and the device will power off. There is also no mention as to whether the rocker switch should be turned on or off while charging. Should I return this? Is there a risk of overcharging? On this last charge( done with the rocker set to on) I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but the led remained on. I then unplugged it and turned the rocker switch off plugged it back in and the led went off. Help!

Last edited:

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks CF.From what I am reading on other sites it seems to be a hit or miss as to whether the light will go off on its own.Kind of disappointing as I love this thing so far.Please let me know if you have this issue when it arrives.Also it arrived almost fully charged.It says nothing in the manual about charging it when you get it but I did find another site where it said to charge it initially for 4 hours regardless of what the battery indicator says.Sigh......

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think the off/on switch should be set to "on" while charging. The LED *should* go off, but I've noticed that sometimes it can take a good long while to fully charge, even if not terribly discharged. It should never get more than slightly warm while charging. And some CF4's don't charge all the way to 4.2; I have 3 of them, and only one of them goes all the way to 4.2; the others stop at 4.12-4.16, everytime.

If the LED *never* goes off, even after, say, 5-6 hrs of charging, I'd suggest returning it; there might be something wrong with it more serious than a faulty LED, and with a 2000mAh LiPo, better safe than sorry!

Andria

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks Andria. I charged it for about 4 hours last night and it was about 1/2 charged when i started.It just worried me so I unplugged it.It was reading 4.19.I would love to hear what Innokin has to say about the proper way to charge this thing though.I have it charging now to see what happens while I can keep a close eye on it.Thanks again for your reply.:)
I will start a support ticket if I don't get a response here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thanks Andria. I charged it for about 4 hours last night and it was about 1/2 charged.It just worried me so I unplugged it.It was reading 4.19.I would love to hear what Innokin has to say about the proper way to charge this thing though.I have it charging now to see what happens while I can keep a close eye on it.Thanks again for your reply.:)
I will start a support ticket if I don't get a response here.

At 4.19, I'd probably consider it charged and just go with it, but the LED never going out does sound worrisome. Did you plug it back in this morning, to see if it would continue charging? I've sometimes unplugged one of mine if I had to leave the house, and it would say something like 4.15; later when I plug it back in, it seems to think it's fully charged, and the LED doesn't come on at all.

Andria

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I actually used it for a while this morning.It was reading 4.12 when I started charging it at 11:30a.m. It is currently reading 4.19 but the led is still on.If I unplug and plug it back in the led remains on.If I unplug it and turn the switch off and plug it in the led goes off.I am going to leave it charging for a couple more hours if the led does not go out I will contact the place I purchased it from and see if I can exchange/return it.I really don't want to but its got me extremely nervous.:/

Reactions: hittman

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The only time I use the off/on switch is a) if I'm re-wicking and don't want to risk my fingers hitting the fire btn before I get the new wick saturated, or b) when I'm taking it with me as a spare battery -- the one I take that I'm actually using, I just leave on. But I like that button a lot, it saves a lot of wear and tear on the fire button to turn it off or on.

Vinny, don't blame you for being nervous if it's not acting right, and I'd probably return it too, if the charging light never goes out. But yeah, it does sometimes take a while to charge -- other times it seems to do it in the blink of an eye! :blink:

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thank you so much Andria.Really appreciate your help.Still crossing my fingers.I am a fraidey cat when it comes to anything electrical.lol

I pretty much am too; just learning to dry-burn coils was terrifying to me at first, and I spent my first couple months as a vaper swearing up and down I would NEVER!! build my own coils. :D Thank goodness I got over that. But batteries do make me a bit nervous if they do the SLIGHTEST odd thing -- I've completely retired the first charger I bought, a nitecore i4, because when charging an 18350 once, it was taking FOREVER to charge that little battery, and when I touched it, it was HOT. So now I just stick to my efest luc2, for charging external batteries. So far it's been very reliable, though I seldom use the external-battery mods anymore, since I got 2 iStick30s and 3 CF4s.

Andria

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I went over five years of vaping without building a coil. Well, when I started no one was building coils. Anyway, I bought a cheap ohm tester from FT that is great for building coils on. Just screw in the base of the tank and it sits pretty still while I build the coil.

Anyway, if you leave your coolfire on the charger all day and the light never goes off then I'd just send it back for an exchange.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2015
    Well I am on my third week but I haven't had a cigarette since I started.:)
    I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and the led went off.
    Thanks to all of you for your assistance.I will contact the people I purchased it from tomorrow to try to get an exchange.I will update this thread accordingly in the hopes of helping others.:)

Last edited:

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2015
    Spaz alert........Well last night I figured I would try once again as the thought of being without my new little buddy was quite upsetting.Against my better judgement I put it back on the charger at around 11:30p.m. When I got up at 6:30 a.m. the led was off and the battery read 2.19sorry typo i meant 4.19(close enough for me lol) So as was stated it did work apparently,it just took a pretty long time.Needless to say I am happy I don't need to return it at this point.So I am not only a fraidy cat, I am also a worry wart.Cats?Warts?Maybe I am a witch.(I have a friend bringing over a duck and a scale later to confirm this lol) Thanks again for your assitance/patience.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Spaz alert........Well last night I figured I would try once again as the thought of being without my new little buddy was quite upsetting.Against my better judgement I put it back on the charger at around 11:30p.m. When I got up at 6:30 a.m. the led was off and the battery read 2.19(close enough for me lol) So as was stated it did work apparently,it just took a pretty long time.Needless to say I am happy I don't need to return it at this point.So I am not only a fraidy cat, I am also a worry wart.Cats?Warts?Maybe I am a witch.(I have a friend bringing over a duck and a scale later to confirm this lol) Thanks again for your assitance/patience.

2.19? that's nowhere near charged, in fact could be very dangerous!!! It should charge to 4.2 or something very close to it.

And secondly... NEVER EVER EVER charge unattended! If the thing explodes, you want to be able to get out of the house before it burns down, don't you???

Andria

Reactions: Uncle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread