Copper LP getting dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
I know the copper gets dark with use, but I've not even had mine a month and am shocked by how quickly it has become dark. I just tried cleaning, brasso, rinsing it and it's still quite dark. Is there a way to restore the original look?

Either way, I want to clear coat it before it goes any further. What product(s) are recommended to do so? Any tips for applying besides keeping the coating out of the 510, button, etc?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Also, Silver vein LP Grand arriving this week. Will I wnt to coat that one as well to keep the finish intact?

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I know the copper gets dark with use, but I've not even had mine a month and am shocked by how quickly it has become dark. I just tried cleaning, brasso, rinsing it and it's still quite dark. Is there a way to restore the original look?

Either way, I want to clear coat it before it goes any further. What product(s) are recommended to do so? Any tips for applying besides keeping the coating out of the 510, button, etc?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Also, Silver vein LP Grand arriving this week. Will I wnt to coat that one as well to keep the finish intact?

Yes, you will want to coat the Silver vein also. Remember this is a powder coat paint. So the usual metal cleaners don't work well.

The clear coat should be applied before use. That will keep it pristine!

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA

It depends on the oils and such in your skin. If your skin is more alkaline more oxidation.

Sorry for this stupid question but... I have my eye on the copper vein Mini. Can I apply polyurethane clear coat along the entire outer body of the Reo (front back and sides)? I was just wondering if it would affect conductivity or some such thing.

Thanks everyone!

No worries on conductivity it is already painted. And don't forget the bottom unless you want that to go black for a contrast.

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
Yeah, I didn't know about the darkening when I bought and immediately used my silvervein grand, so mine is kind of like black wrinkle now. No sweat though. Still gorgeous. Still amazing. Still mine. :)

I have a silver vein LP grand on the way and I may let it darken just a little before sealing it.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Sure, whatever makes you happy. I actually orderred silvervein in error. I had a black Grand in the past and was wanting a hammertone silver. I wanted a silver mod this time, but goofed. Honestly, I LOVE my silvervein and it makes no difference if it's black or silver as long as it's not a weird color that sticks out like a sore thumb. I named it Jim Tom after the guy from Moonshiners.

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
How did things turn out? Got a pic?

Not on my phone with me. I cleans it with alcohol and then sprayed a clear coat. I 1st used krylon spray but when the mod got warm it got all sticky. I had to strip it and now use ckear gloss engine spray from auto zone. Solid as a rock, but the finish had already darkened beyond what I wanted. And since it's just copper paint there is no way to undo the darkening that had already occurred.

vapnmuse

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
central new jersey
you need to use a metal polish to remove tarnish build up. Mothers metal polish is good and available at most auto parts stores. The best polish I have used is flitz metal polish. It is harder to find and is expensive, but worth every penny. I use a tiny dab of it on my brass rm2 and brass button cover and they shine like mirrors. products like brasso are abrasive and will remove surface material so be careful what you use on your REO. I bought the flitz at a marine supply store or you order from them online. I keep finding new uses for it and am glad I purchased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread