Cortomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K.

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
I've only been vaping about 2 weeks or so now, and I was looking into cart mods when someone mentioned cartomizers. I've seen these on different sites, but what exatly is the difference between a normal cart and a cartomizer other than the atty and cart in a single unit? And are the cartomizer atties as good as a normal atty? I'm currently using a 510.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hi Jim,

The cartomizer's heating element is a wire that is coiled up the center of a roll of filler material. Thus the element is surrounded in wet filler, and there is a hole up through the center for air-flow. Imagine a very small roll of toilet paper, and the heating wire is wrapped around the cardboard tube, and the paper itself is the filler which is soaked with juice. A 510 atty/cart, however is rather different. The cart generally holds the wet filler, which feeds liquid to the atty coil by way of the bridge, which is the metal-mesh loop that sticks up. The heating coil itself is down under it.

Are cartos better than attys? Better is a subjective word, but I will give my take on them, since I do use cartos a lot. In general cartos have a bit higher resistance than Joye 510 attys (~3.2 ohms vs. ~2.4 ohms), so they are generally cooler than attys. There are some low resistance attys out there...I have some 2.5 ohm ones, and there are some even lower. For a regular 510 batt, 3.2 ohms can be rather weak...vapable, but a bit weak. 2.4 ohm cartos should be quite good though. The regular 510 batt has a working voltage of about 3.1 V, but there are mods that work in the 3.7V range, like box mods or the Hello016 (others too), and I really like the 3.2 ohm cartos on these.

I find that mine last a long time, like weeks, and they are so much neater (no leaks) and more convenient for out-and-about vaping. One filled carto can last me several hours, and give excellent vapor every hit, without all the cart maintenance. You can't drip or change flavors easily like with an atty, but if you are driving or otherwise unable to do these things, they are great. They are easy to fill, especially if you get the Boge soft-tips, and I find the flavor and vapor quality to be almost as good as dripping, at least with a 3.7V device. I find the 2.4 ohm cartos on a regular or mega 510 batt are also quite good.

There really is a lot to be positively said for cartos, in terms of vaping experience, and given that you can get them for about $1.50 on sale, or less, they are a very good alternative to atty/carts. These days I either use a Boge carto on a box mod, or drip into an atty on my 5V passthrough. You can get a box of 5 cartos for about $6, less than most places sell an atty for, and give them a shot. Its nice to put your 510 PV in a pocket and never worry about leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread