The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cost of e-cigs comapred to analogs

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by mwahle1, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mwahle1

mwahle1 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL. USA
    I am curious to see how the cost of your e-cigs and accessories compare to the cost of analogs; and how it varies by individuals. For those who view this as a “hobby” in addition to a smoking alternative, I assume your cost will generally be greater.

My results:

So far I have stocked up approximately 8 months worth of supplies (batteries, juice, cartomizers) calculated by my average weekly usage. Since I started vaping recently, I am in the hole, significantly. However, considering I have approximately an 8 month supply, I have calculated the cost of vaping to be 23% to that of smoking analogs over 8 months. Not too bad!

Note: I originally converted to e-cigs solely for a healthier smoking alternative.

2. dgriego

dgriego Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 8, 2009
    New Mexico
    I am also in the hole at this time, but in the long run I should make it up pretty quick. I averaged a pack a day to a pack and a half
    and smoked American Spirits. They go for about 7 bucks a pack so I was spending 49 to 60 bucks a week.
    I bought a e-cig at the mall and paid way to much for it, but it got me started and I have since purchased a xhaler and like a kid in a candy store I have bought a lot of juice from different vendors to find what I like.
    I am probably going to sell my mini e-cig and just use the xhaler and I might purchase an additional xhaler as a back up (I am paranoid about not having a smokable device at all times).

So all in all I have spent way more these first couple of weeks on e-cig products than I would have on regular smokes but I feel good, I am not waking up with that heavy chest feeling, I can smell again and taste again and my family is happy that I am not smoking..So if you count all that I am still ahead of the game with nothing but savings to look forward to.

3. j0ker

j0ker Classifieds Manager Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    MS Gulf Coast
    I think my GF and I have spent close to $800 dollars and we probly got about 4 months of supply. So considering off analogs for 4 months plus 4 month supply at $400 a month for analogs would be $3200. I think I'm doing pretty well! LOL

I'm sure I'll buy more supplies that probly won't be necessary but I'll suffer thru it!

4. BobbiBilbo

BobbiBilbo Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2009
    Stuart, FL
    I'm an e-cig junkie who spends WAY too much. I don't even want know the #'s.

What I do know is I am happier and healthier than I have been in over 30 years. And that's worth whatever amount I spend.

5. Rexa

Rexa Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2009
    New York City
    After several months I now have a pretty accurate picture now of how much I spend. I was buying a carton of cigarettes each week (which came out to about 70 bucks each week). I definitely don't spend $70 each week on ecigs/juice/accessories nevertheless I don't even spend $70 a month on them (I'd say every 2 months I might blow anywhere between $50 to $75 bucks with juice and atties combined)

After 3 months of not purchasing anything because I was stocked well still and I go through atties slowly, I finally made a $100 purchase from Puresmoker the other day. Definitely worth it than spending nearly $300 a month on cigarettes.

6. Silence

Silence Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 5, 2009
    Hopkinsville, Ky
    I have spent about $900 and have about a 6 month supply... So with the 2 months off analogs I would have spent about $1100 so... I'm ahead... for now...

J0ker.. how in the world were you spending $400 a month on analogs?????

7. Jeff989

Jeff989 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2009
    Indiana
    well i smoked half a pack plus a day.. as of right now i have 50 dollars wrapped up in it all, but im buying 30+ dollars of liquid in a week, and buying parts to make a nicostick, so all in all ill have about 150 bucks in but all the liquid will last me quite a while.. plus its fun messing with all the gadgets :)

8. Darmeen

Darmeen Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2009
    TX USA
    Well, I have only been vaping just over a month now full time.

I was spending $145 on analogs a month(probably be more now with the new taxes and such)...I have roughly a 4 month supply (figuring I was going to vape 4ml a day...)

I too am in the hole by comparison to analogs at this point, but I should break even by the middle of January and enjoy over 60% savings vs analogs.

Looking at my supply and how much I spent for it, I will average $58 over the next 4 months...which is significant compared to the cost of analogs.

9. Slickstick

Slickstick Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I am in the hole because I like it so much I am about to open up shop. If I ever get shut down, I will at least have a lifetime of supplies for myself. Too bad the liquid doesn't keep for more than 2 years!

10. RatRacer

RatRacer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2009
    S.W. Florida
    Even, so far.
    I am purposely keeping it at that to keep the wife happy (besides not smelling like an ashtray;)). It could and should be lower, but I am still testing different models and liquids to find flavors and equipment that I like and can settle in with for a long term inventory $ commitment.
    Also, I am purposely changing my vaping habits as to not coincide with my past analog habits, so that if supplies start to dwindle or become high dollar due to some sort of regulation, it'll be easier get away from nicotine totally (I hope).

11. Scottbee

Scottbee Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2009
    Okauchee Lake, WI
    My analog habit was just about $400 a month ($80/carton... 2+ packs a day).

My PV "habit" costs me about a third of that.

12. martha1014

martha1014 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2009
    Delhi, LA USA
    I have enough supplies and eliquid to last me about 18 months. I would have spent 8000.00 on cigarettes in the 18 months and I have only spent 6500.00 on ecigs so in l8 months I would have saved 950.00.

I don't think I will ever actually see the money difference because I continue to buy, buy, buy. I have an addiction.

13. cliff5550

cliff5550 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Seems like there should be a big notice in the noobs section that tells them in bold letters that they can easily spend much more money on vaping than smoking in the beginning. It took my wife and I three months before we began to see the money savings from switching to vaping. Once that hardware and first juice stockup was covered, it was strictly a maintenance thing....and savings.

14. Aucorium

Aucorium Senior Member ECF Veteran

The cost to health - priceless.

15. Ast_Isis

Ast_Isis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I concur! The way I have felt since switching to vaping is worth any cost. :)

16. hittman

hittman ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I do not know the exact dollar amount that I have spent but do not allow myself to spend more than the $140 a month I was spending on analogs. That is except one month when I spent $145 on a mod and accessories. I try very hard to stay on budget even though there are so many cool pv's I would love to try. I have probably 4-5 months worth of liquid and probably a years worth of attys built up. I don't stock up too much on liquid since it seems like my tastes change now and then and I still can't vape one flavor all day. I do know that I feel better, breathe better, taste better, and have not had a smokers cough for months.

17. the86d

the86d Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2009
    So. California, USA
    I have spent about 1200-1400 on everything. This will last me well into next year, probably more than that... I just keep buying spare parts.

Just paid for my first batt mod, so I will be good.

1gl of PG (USP), 120ml of 100mg (I use 1-4mg juice so mix mix mix), 48 oz of VG (USP), and flavors for days all unopened. I'm good for a LONG TIME in case of ban! This is why I bought it all in bulk, "In Case".

The sig states I have saved 1063.62 right now. So I am $200 in the hole, but I think this is wrong. I am not going to smoke anymore to add to the carcinogens already present. This alone is worth a measly $200!

18. smc

smc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2009
    California
    Over the past 4 months I have spent 800. I would normally have spent 500 on analogs (approx. pack a day @ $5). I now have a years supply.

The only thing I have to buy are batteries for my mods (I only use battery mods now). I will need to buy flavoring. I am all set on concentrated nic juice, PG and have around 25 new atomizers.

19. Skwerl

Skwerl Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2009
    Peoples Republic of NJ
    So far my initial outlay for hardware, premixed & DIY liquid +supplies is about $220, cigarettes are about $8/pk in NJ, times 1.25/pks per day I broke even after 2 weeks. I am also no longer on blood pressure meds, saving another $20/mo. Dave Ramsey would be proud!

20. umop apisdn

umop apisdn Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2009
    Even though I dropped about $350 on supplies, I'm good for a while. a $10 bottle, 20 ml of 24 mg so far has lasted me 3 and a half weeks! Compared to spending $30 a week (a pack every 2-3 days, I'll make my money back by february and then spend almost a 10th of what I was spending before.

Oh yeah, and my life is improving overall too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.