Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
When I hear these sorts of stories, I'm always thankful that I Ieft corporate life 20-some years ago and ended up starting my own business. I now employ 17 people, and needless to say, I don't presume to control their personal lives.

Having followed your posts, I am stunned. I was certain that at Rossum, Inc. bean sprouts, tofu or something really really healthful would have been mandatory.
:toast:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oooooo, one of my all-tme favorite songs!

The Story behind the Song has all been Lost. Because most think that Stephen Stills wrote it about the Vietnam War. Which he Didn't.

"Although "For What It's Worth" is often mistaken as an anti-war song, Stephen Stills was inspired to write the track because of the "Sunset Strip riots" in November 1966. The trouble, which started during the early stages of the counterculture era, was in the same year Buffalo Springfield had become the house band at the Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles.[4]

It was within this period that local residents and businesses had become increasingly annoyed by late-night traffic congestion caused by crowds of young people going to clubs and music venues along the Strip. In response they lobbied the city to pass local ordinances that stopped
loitering and enforced a strict curfew on the Strip after 10pm. However young music fans felt the new laws were an infringement of their civil rights.[5]

On Saturday, November 12, 1966, fliers were distributed on Sunset Strip inviting people to join demonstrations later that day. Several of Los Angeles' rock radio stations also announced that a rally would be held outside the
Pandora's Box club on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Crescent Heights.[5] That evening as many as 1,000 young demonstrators, including celebrities like Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda (who was handcuffed by police), gathered to protest against the enforcement of the curfew laws. Although the rallies began peacefully, trouble eventually broke out among the protesters and police. The unrest continued the next night and periodically throughout the rest of November and December forcing some clubs to shut down within weeks.[5]

Against the background of these civil disturbances, Stills recorded the song on December 5, 1966."

For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---

Funny. They say that History Repeats Itself. How many Parallels can be drawn from this to the way e-Cigarette/Nicotine Policies are based ($$$) Today?

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
The Story behind the Song has all been Lost. Because most think that Stephen Stills wrote it about the Vietnam War. Which he Didn't.

"Although "For What It's Worth" is often mistaken as an anti-war song, Stephen Stills was inspired to write the track because of the "Sunset Strip riots" in November 1966. The trouble, which started during the early stages of the counterculture era, was in the same year Buffalo Springfield had become the house band at the Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles.[4]

It was within this period that local residents and businesses had become increasingly annoyed by late-night traffic congestion caused by crowds of young people going to clubs and music venues along the Strip. In response they lobbied the city to pass local ordinances that stopped
loitering and enforced a strict curfew on the Strip after 10pm. However young music fans felt the new laws were an infringement of their civil rights.[5]

On Saturday, November 12, 1966, fliers were distributed on Sunset Strip inviting people to join demonstrations later that day. Several of Los Angeles' rock radio stations also announced that a rally would be held outside the
Pandora's Box club on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Crescent Heights.[5] That evening as many as 1,000 young demonstrators, including celebrities like Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda (who was handcuffed by police), gathered to protest against the enforcement of the curfew laws. Although the rallies began peacefully, trouble eventually broke out among the protesters and police. The unrest continued the next night and periodically throughout the rest of November and December forcing some clubs to shut down within weeks.[5]

Against the background of these civil disturbances, Stills recorded the song on December 5, 1966."

For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---

Funny. They say that History Repeats Itself. How many Parallels can be drawn from this to the way e-Cigarette/Nicotine Policies are based ($$$) Today?

I guess I never saw it as a war-protest song. I get more of a civil unrest vibe from the lyrics ... and given that I wasn't even born yet when it was written and recorded, I tend to go with that. Good to know I was in the right area of meaning.

Reactions: zoiDman

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You need to move to a 55+ gated community :thumbs:
I would love to some day...

But it seems the good ones are all built somewhere with miserably hot weather.
Hopefully by the time I turn 55 they will build some Del Webbs in places I actually want to live.
:)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think what was Cool about it was the Fliers being handed out. And then the Rock Radio stations making Announcements.

Be kinda Cool to see B&M's handing out Fliers about Deeming or a Local e-Cigarette Tax/Ban. And then have someone like KLOS broadcast that there will be a Gathering somewhere.

But who am I Kidding? LOL. That was back when people Did More. And Radio Stations weren't owned by Media Mega-Conglomerates.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Oh God, lots of parents in our gated community put out these signs...

slowchildrenatplay.gif

And when I see those signs I want to accelerate and run them over.
The signs I mean, not the children.
:laugh:

They tried to put speed bumps in here a few years back, but it got voted down.
Thank God we're not THAT stupid yet.

Actually I *wish* they'd put a few speed humps on our street, to stop the idiots who apparently think it's the Indy 500 -- nevermind the dadgum brats, I don't want some fool crashing into my front yard!

I'd also be THRILLED if they'd put a few "no parking on street" signs; 3/4 of the residents on this street park on the street, it's like an obstacle course, just heading to the store! When you get to the top of a blind hill and there are cars on both sides of the street parked, you just kinda have to cross your fingers and hope there's no one coming from the other side of the hill!

Andria

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Actually I *wish* they'd put a few speed humps on our street, to stop the idiots who apparently think it's the Indy 500 -- nevermind the dadgum brats, I don't want some fool crashing into my front yard!
The speed humps are not unheard of in our region but I would love to have them on our street. There is a group of "youts" down the street that believe it is their personal raceway for their low-riding vwaaaahhh-wubb-wubb-wubb--vaaawaaahhh cars.
I aspire to reach the ripe old age where I can sit in the lawn chair at the end of the driveway, a cooler full of PBR's beside me, armed with a paintball gun and "re-decorate" their cars for them as they speed by..:shock:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Plus, the flu vaccine is only about 49% effective, and after age 49, that percentage goes down quite sharply. I refuse to get a flu shot -- besides the fact that I'm over age 49, they're just ridiculous -- the flu vaccine can mutate, and nobody can guarantee that the flu you're vaccinated for is the one that's currently making the rounds -- they can't even forecast the weather accurately, and they're gonna forecast what strain of flu you might get? Yeah right; pull the other one!

The best way to avoid getting the flu is keeping your immune system healthy -- and REQUIRING those who do catch the flu to STAY THE HELL AT HOME!!!!!!!!! Don't take Theraflu and then waltz on into work just because you're feeling a little better! Nobody wants you there! Nobody's job is that important!

Andria
know what ya mean... several years ago an employee came to work sick and in 2 days managed to wipe out 13 others with whatever he brought to work... and btw there were only 16 people working there ( only 2 didnt get sick)

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Plus, the flu vaccine is only about 49% effective, and after age 49, that percentage goes down quite sharply. I refuse to get a flu shot -- besides the fact that I'm over age 49, they're just ridiculous -- the flu vaccine can mutate, and nobody can guarantee that the flu you're vaccinated for is the one that's currently making the rounds -- they can't even forecast the weather accurately, and they're gonna forecast what strain of flu you might get? Yeah right; pull the other one!

The best way to avoid getting the flu is keeping your immune system healthy -- and REQUIRING those who do catch the flu to STAY THE HELL AT HOME!!!!!!!!! Don't take Theraflu and then waltz on into work just because you're feeling a little better! Nobody wants you there! Nobody's job is that important!

Andria

know what ya mean... several years ago an employee came to work sick and in 2 days managed to wipe out 13 others with whatever he brought to work... and btw there were only 16 people working there ( only 2 didnt get sick)
My wife works for a large, multi-national childcare provider; she works with 2 year-olds every day; IIRC, she is required to get the annual flu vaccine by her employer.
I work for a large, multi-national print/media company; I work with 2 year-olds every day; I am not required to get the annual flu vaccine, but they do offer it as a free benefit of their health plans (of which I am not a member).
I have a cold at the moment. I most likely caught it from a co-worker in my department. I went to work Friday. Because, Sharing Is Caring! :thumb:
If I had the real, full-blown flu, I would stay home.

Reactions: Rotowoman

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The speed humps are not unheard of in our region but I would love to have them on our street. There is a group of "youts" down the street that believe it is their personal raceway for their low-riding vwaaaahhh-wubb-wubb-wubb--vaaawaaahhh cars.
I aspire to reach the ripe old age where I can sit in the lawn chair at the end of the driveway, a cooler full of PBR's beside me, armed with a paintball gun and "re-decorate" their cars for them as they speed by..:shock:

Sounds like a great plot for a Clint Eastwood movie!

Reactions: zoiDman

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You have to wonder why nic testing in urine is even a thing. Yes, smoking will/can destroy your lungs and heart over time, but vaping has yet to be the cause for anything like that. People who smoke generally can't jog. People who vape can.

Maybe the test for rating insurance cost should be determined by carbon monoxide levels.

CO Breath Test – Breath tests for CO – Carbon monoxide breath testers from Breathe EZ.
In conclusion, whether or not a person is a current smoker can be established accurately by objective tests of smoke intake. The few smokers who cannot be reliably identified smoke so infrequently or inhale so little that their habit is of minimal clinical significance. Although measures of cotinine perform best in discriminating smokers and nonsmokers and are the tests of choice for research protocols where accurate categorization is essential, for routine clinical applications expired air carbon monoxide is a simple, cheap, and acceptably accurate measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMD-Ky

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
You have to wonder why nic testing is even a thing. Yes, smoking will/can destroy your lungs and heart over time, but vaping has yet to be the cause for anything like that. People who smoke can't jog. People who vape can.

Maybe the test for rating insurance cost should be determined by carbon monoxide levels.
Two factors: first, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and for persons (like me) suffering from plaque buildup in arteries, this is not a good combination. Second, nicotine is still widely (incorrectly) associated with being the primary causative agent for heart disease in smokers. So it's a truth-and-fiction problem. And it's easy to do the cotinine testing for nicotine to "weed out" the smokers for insurance purposes.

I've been curious to see what my O2 sat levels are now - they were marginally abysmal when I was a smoker.. and horrid when I was having my heart attack. :eek:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Two factors: first, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and for persons (like me) suffering from plaque buildup in arteries, this is not a good combination. Second, nicotine is still widely (incorrectly) associated with being the primary causative agent for heart disease in smokers. So it's a truth-and-fiction problem. And it's easy to do the cotinine testing for nicotine to "weed out" the smokers for insurance purposes.

I've been curious to see what my O2 sat levels are now - they were marginally abysmal when I was a smoker.. and horrid when I was having my heart attack. :eek:

I smoked for about 40 years before starting to vape. My Dad was a heating and air conditioning small business contractor working with fiberglass insulation who smoked unfiltered Camels. He also spent 4 years on a Navy destroyer in WWII. When they weren't steaming toward a battle they were scraping and painting asbestos coated surfaces. His lungs were some of the worst his heart doctor had ever seen.

I haven't smoked in about 5 1/2 years. Now, several years later I ride 6 miles on an elliptical recumbent exercise bike 4 or 5 days a week and do 140 reps with moderate weight on a curl bar. I monitor my O2 SAT with a digital finger O2 pulse oximeter. I routinely get 98% OSAT while on my bike ride and sometimes it hits 99%. I couldn't come near that when I smoked.

You can get the pulse oximeter on Amazon for about $15. Here's the one I use. Reviews report that it's accurate when compared to the ones in the doctor's office. It looks huge in the picture, but it's only an inch and a half long and opens like a clothespin to accept your fingertip. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BJT9OE?keywords=pulse oximeter&qid=1453559096&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

61EQTfaJYGL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I smoked for about 40 years before starting to vape. My Dad was a heating and air conditioning small business contractor working with fiberglass insulation who smoked unfiltered Camels. He also spent 4 years on a Navy destroyer in WWII. When they weren't steaming toward a battle they were scraping and painting asbestos coated surfaces. His lungs were some of the worst his heart doctor had ever seen.

I haven't smoked in about 5 1/2 years. Now, several years later I ride 6 miles on an elliptical recumbent exercise bike 4 or 5 days a week and do 140 reps with moderate weight on a curl bar. I monitor my O2 SAT with a digital finger O2 pulse oximeter. I routinely get 98% OSAT while on my bike ride and sometimes it hits 99%. I couldn't come near that when I smoked.

You can get the pulse oximeter on Amazon for about $15. Here's the one I use. Reviews report that it's accurate when compared to the ones in the doctor's office. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BJT9OE?keywords=pulse oximeter&qid=1453559096&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

61EQTfaJYGL._SX522_.jpg
Without a doubt, I'm grossly out of physical shape. 15 years ago, it was an average day to throw a couple of tons of paper around by hand. Now I jockey a desk; but the physical labor was impacting my back and knees to a bad point, so I'm glad that I don't have to do that anymore. Goal for this coming year is to make some other lifestyle changes, including getting back in some exercise that I can tolerate and that the docs approve of.

I don't obsess with what my O2 sats are, any more than I worry about my blood pressure. More curiosity than anything else at this point.

Reactions: DaveP

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Yeah... Those Theraflu commercials make me holler at the TV even worse than the Nicorette/Chantix commercials -- sure, take Theraflu.. AND THEN TAKE YOUR .... BACK TO BED BECAUSE NOBODY AT YOUR JOB WANTS WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!! People just can't seem to get that thru their thick heads -- just because you take something that makes you FEEL better, does NOT mean you are less contagious!

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread