Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Pull the old cotton when the taste is muted, unpleasing, or burnt tasty, clean and dry burn the coil ( SS, Kanthal, Nichrome, not Ni or Ti) and rewick. Placing fresh cotton back in a dirty coil does you no good. It takes no more than two to three minutes to properly clean the coil. If taken care of, a coil can last you months of good service.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I dry burn when the flavor starts to fade. Wicking has to be removed before the dry burn anyway. For me, it's usually the crusty coil affecting flavor that makes me dry burn.

All that depends on the juice you use. I can go a week or more with unflavored/lightly flavored PG/VG. The wick is fine, but crusting occurs on the coil.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
No point in replacing the cotton without cleaning the coil at the same time. I always do both at the same time.

For me, usually vape unflavored. It still tastes fine to me after a week, but the coil begins to look dark. However, when I rewick it and clean the coil, I'm surprised how much 'cleaner' it tastes, even when it didn't look bad.

Personally, I've just gotten in the habit of rewicking/dry burning weekly for unflavored juice, and daily with flavored juices. I'd rather not be heating any of the 'crud' along with my juice. It's not a big deal to clean and rewick regularly to me. Whether or not I can taste a difference before I rewick/clean, I always seem to be able to after.

Whatever you're fine with I guess. You'll definitely taste a difference when it's time. I just prefer to stay on a schedule so I don't have to do it unexpectedly.

• Agree
Reactions: DaveP

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
You can take all their suggestion and give it a try. After a while you will develop your own routine that suites you. Rebuildables are not like replacing coil heads that you throw everything at once. Mostly just the cotton. I do that every 2-3 days. I'm on the same coil for like three months now. I suggest you stock up on cotton and just a few coils. A small box(8pcs) of pre built drop in coils may last you a year. Depending on you and that's very very subjective per individual. As a newbie 3 years ago, I bought 3 spools of wires each of it's kind because I knew I will be doing some coil destroying learning. :lol: I surely learned how to build my own coils. But nowadays, I just stick with the drop ins and it's much more efficient for me at least. Like I said, you will develop your own routine and style. Goodluck and cheers!

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
to be honest. i never dry burn a coil. i just toss it... The time of cleaning the coil takes me longer as to put a new one in. There are loads of pre build good coils around which you can use. Only thing you have to check are the leads (clock/counterclockwise)

About cotton. As long as you stick to 3mm diameter i would propose the "shoe laces" which are very easy (yes i am lazy) to handle.

For RDTA is use the "peelable cotton" pads from Muji. They do feel like the top/bottom layer of the normal Muji. But they can store liquid longer but they are a bit slower when it comes to transport. AND they are not muting so fast.

MUJI Online - Welcome to the MUJI Online Store.

Another cool this is that one pad can be cut once in the length and once on the half and deliver the exact amount of cotton you need for a 3 mm coil. 1 pad has 4 layer and you get 4 per layer so 16 pieces/wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread