Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Make sure your nicotine level in your juice is high enough to stop your craving and everytime you feel like smoking, dont smoke but vape like theres no tomorrow til the urge to smoke passes. Throw away your cigarettes and do not buy any more.

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Hi, id love to help. First how long did you smoke, what did you smoke and how much? Next, what are you vaping? What ejuice, and do you love it? What tank/ coil or pod and what device? Also do you have a back up and a different yummy juice flavour? Especially when switching i recommend folk have at least a backup system and two different juice flavours ideally three, often one being a higher or salt nic for stressful times ( ie used consciously)

Great chice to change from smoking to vaping! Lots can be done to make it simple and fun!

Make sure your nicotine level in your juice is high enough to stop your craving and everytime you feel like smoking, dont smoke but vape like theres no tomorrow til the urge to smoke passes. Throw away your cigarettes and do not buy any more.

Thank you. I will give that a try. I find that when a vape alot i feel dry and dehydrated. is that normal?

Hi, id love to help. First how long did you smoke, what did you smoke and how much? Next, what are you vaping? What ejuice, and do you love it? What tank/ coil or pod and what device? Also do you have a back up and a different yummy juice flavour? Especially when switching i recommend folk have at least a backup system and two different juice flavours ideally three, often one being a higher or salt nic for stressful times ( ie used consciously)

Great chice to change from smoking to vaping! Lots can be done to make it simple and fun!

Im smoking for over 20 years. Brand im currently smoking is Marlboro blue beyond. Just over a packet a day. The vega with a direct lung tank, the ijust also direct lung n the cue. Im into menthol juices. fruity flavors dont work for me unless there is a strong menthol after taste.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you. I will give that a try. I find that when a vape alot i feel dry and dehydrated. is that normal?
Yes, just increase your water intake.
That's relatively common. The e-liquid and warm vapor can dry your mouth.

Try sucking on hard candy or chewing gum to encourage your saliva production.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Congrats welcome to ECF. Yeah some early dry mouth/dehydration is common. Biotene before bed can avoid waking up with cotton mouth. You can drink more at first if you want it seems like it gets better after a while, as your body adjusts. Hard lozenges or gum can sometimes help.

Welcome to ECF.

Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I have just joined the forum and I have become a vaper in an effort to stop smoking, it seems to be working as I have cut down quiet a bit. As much as i like vaping i am still unable to cut out the cigarette completely.

Depending on how long you smoked and how many packs a day you smoked during that period, vaping just replaces the physical act and the nicotine only. You have to remember that tobacco leaf has many other natural alkaloids in it, as well as treated tobacco in a cigarette has a lot of chemicals and toxins as well. If you have just recently started vaping, don't knock yourself short if you have a cigarette while still in transition period, myself that transition was about 3 weeks myself dual using once I focused fully on moving to vaping.

1) Try to cut out old habitual signals, mine were after meals, getting into the car, being at work under stress, first awaking in the mornings.
2) Always try to vape first, if still not satisfied, then step outside and have 1/3 to 1/2 a cig
3) Try to reduce your daily stress as much as possible, can't cut it out entirely, your body chemistry is in detox, thus putting stress on your body, just a nudge of mental stress and your body/mind want a stress reliever, so try to stay positive and chipper
4) In my time vaping and visiting these forums, I've seen transition periods ranging from just a couple weeks to several months
5) Mouth to lung devices (pod mods /w nic salts, basic ego, JUULs, etc) nicotine levels (basic freebase noted as FB, nicotine salts noted as NS), for these low cloud producing devices, these are rough guestimates

1 1/2 pack and higher, and/or 10+ years use - Minimum 12mg/ml to 18mg/ml FB, 30mg/ml to 50mg/ml NS (for pod systems like the JUUL)
1 Pack a day, and/or 5 to 10 years smoking - 12mg/ml FB, 30mg/ml NS
1/2 pack a day, and/or under 5 years smoking - 6 to 9mg/ml FB, 24mg/ml NS

Direct to lung clouding systems
1 1/2 pack and higher, and/or 10+ smoking - Minimum 6mg/ml FB not to exceed 9 to 12mg/ml FB
1 pack a day, and/or 5 to 10 years smoking - 3 to 6mg/ml FB
1/2 pack a day, and/or under 5 years smoking - 1.5 to 3mg/ml FB

Give your body time to detox and heal, drink plenty of water and juices, reducing or stopping use of caffeine during your transition period (vaping can dehydrate you, adding caffeine into the mix adds more dehydration and amps you up to simulate more stress on your body), relax and try not to stress, if you have to have 1/3 to 1/2 a cig to relax after trying vaping first after dinner and such, don't knock yourself. You have to retrain your train of thought, not each smoke you do have is a loss, each smoke you did not have to have during the day is a win.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Im smoking for over 20 years. Brand im currently smoking is Marlboro blue beyond. Just over a packet a day. The vega with a direct lung tank, the ijust also direct lung n the cue. Im into menthol juices. fruity flavors dont work for me unless there is a strong menthol after taste.

You will get there. You can do it!

Sometimes it takes time. It took me a while... because I was lazy about quitting. :)

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada

Ok, what nic strength are you using? Are you into menthol for the throat hit or is that the only flavour you taste or is it that you like vaping menthol because its kind of like you blues? Do you find dl vaping ok? Many long term smokers find it rough to dl when they start. When they have coughed all the smoking crap up they have an easier time with it, so generLly but NOT always i recommend a mtl setup.

Now, I have found that a big part of switching to vaping is having very clear in your mind that it is NOT smoking, many vapors will tell you that when they successfully switched or shortly thereafter they get away fro tobacco or menthol juice, or got into cloud chasing that looks and feels very different so they are as far away from cigs as possible.

Next, when someone is a long term smoker having a harsher time getting off i have them get a second device. I highly recommend a minifit. They are small and very stealthy cheap and simple to use and you can put a higher freebase or salt nic in any kind of pod device i know of. At any rate, get yourself a special sexond device, also a handy backup. Put a special juice in it at a higher strength like an 18 freebase, or 20 or 40 saltnic. Call this your cigarette2.0 or whatever.

Point is, you have your everyday juice and device and your new style cig. Put your blues in an inconvenient place, like your garden shed, your car trunk etc. Put a lighter with them but nowhere else. Get rid of your ashtrays. Dont allow yourself to smoke where you did before unless its your cig 2.0.

Vape your usual setup, and i really highly recommend finding a non menthol juice you like for everyday. And btw I get you dont care for fruit atm, but it is highly likely in a few months your tastes will change and you will find you like stuff then
That you may have bought and did not really love. To avoid olfactory fatigue it is important to like a few flavours that are very different. Like mentol, coffee and strawberry for example. Often mentol smokers will like a licorice or cinnamon type vape if you want to try some of those. For fruits try a lemonade of sorts as many folks reject super sweet flavours when transitioning. I have yet to meet someone who does not like dinner lady lemon tart if they like the pie. its fancy pants so reserve it for friday night or yuor cig 2.0. It tastes just like lemon merangue pie, so if you like that its well worth trying. I save mine in a 3 for dripping when im watching movies and chain vaping.

So just vape your regular stuff and if you feel you want or need a cigarete whip out your cig 2.0 with fancy higher nic juice for 10 minutes. If is first thing in the morning with your coffee and you know you are low on nic just go right to your cig 2.0. At any rate, you will know when you have low nic vs an emotional need for they old smoke. Just be honest with yourself and ask WHY you want a cigarette. Then vape on yuor vape 2.0 setup for 10 minutes. If you still then want a cigarette, go to the trouble of finding them, smoke standing up outside regardless of weather in a place you did not used to smoke and consciously smoke it as much or litle as you want. Dont be judgemental or hard on yourself just consciously feel it going in yuor mouth, your lungs. Smell it. Take your vape with you, many people find they vape and smoke together initially and the body will scream at them tha it prefers vaping. No matter what juice you use it will taste better then any cig on the planet!

At any rate the goal to use the second setup to satisfy both emotional and physical cravings. Next it is super important when quitting the cigs to vape as much and as often as you want. It should be fun and exciting and sparkly new. As you learn better technique and detox from smokes you will find you naturally vape less without trying within a month or two. I often check in on folks i have inroduced to vaping a few months on and they often say they dont even think of smoking anymore and often dont even vape till lunch when before they couldnt manage to wake up without cigarettes and coffee. Its just unexplanable in my mind how people who never thought they could did and they habit is now different. Its then very easy to sloooowly drop nic and get to low or no nic if that is your goal. But as a 20 year smoker, i think you will agree its most important to stop smoking and never go back to them...so arm yourself with lots of vape stuff and make sure if you relapse you relapse to a vape. I advise not trying to drop nic for at least 6 months ideally 12 unless you move from mtl to dl then you want to drop by about half because you get way more juice dl and wont be able to take high nic on your throat.

Hth

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018

Hello I tried many juices, and settled on Butterscotch, and Coffee flavours. Sometimes I dabble a bit on Blueberry Ice for that menthol feel when I feel the urge for a ciggie and it does the trick. Try as many juices as you can and see which ones are the one for you. Main important part is make sure you get enough nicotine. I use 10mg nicotine in my juice. Find your nicotine fix. Hope this helps. And Welcome to ECF

Reactions: stols001

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome to ECF. So glad to hear you are giving up the smokes. A few things that helped me 1) stay positive 2) think of yourself as an EX Smoker 3) find a mod and tank that is satisfying to you 4) use a level of nic that will satisfy your cravings for a cig 5) set a date to actually quit the cigs. There are many success stories here in the forum.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Don't forget the war face. Gotta have a 'tude, too.
a1578225244_16.jpg

tumblr_ouqqm6dU7C1r2pp2to1_500.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: smacuser

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
When I started vaping I did not smoke anymore. I started with 24 mg juice in a pen vape. Nowadays we have all these pod units available. If you are not getting enough nicotine you might think about a pod unit that you can run higher nicotine in or nic salts. Use it when the cravings are strong. Don't buy any more cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread