Credit fraud blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Prague, CZ
My last and I mean THE LAST order on AVE was placed in the end of last year. And I was informed just today by my CC vendor there were some suspicious transaction on my CC last week. Asian dating service (Kiss?), some Egyptian wellness hotel and such. About 1300 USD in total. I am supposed to make reclamation asap. Hopefully everything will be sorted out. But I am done with AVE.

bowhunterr2001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Beaver, Pa
I also got hit with this CC fraud back in April, my twin bother also got cracked a week before I did.. AVE is the only site that we both used our credit cards on together so in this case 2+2=4... We were both hit for a couple thousand each and after many forms to fill out 10 days without our cards the charges were finally taken off our accounts.. I find it very disheartening that a supposed reputable company can not protect it's customers.. I also find it hard to believe that a company can go off line for so long leaving it's customers out to dry so to speak.. I have been a loyal AVE customer for the last 2 years, my supplies are running dangerously low.. My suggestion is to get your site back up and running asap and have your shelves stocked to the hilt and be prepared for the thousands of orders that you will get, or stay off line and lose hundreds if not thousands of dissatisfied customers..

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
Same here, kiss.com, mate1, and flowers, 4/15-19, just caught it when looking this past weekend, last purchase from AVE 11/26...?

I ordered fairly recently, (missed all this CC drama), and I have ordered from them in the past although its been quite some time. Just got tagged this month with almost a grand to a site that sells tickets (sports/concerts etc) stubmaster? Real bummer, wish I had been paying attention ! Might have avoided all this! Oh well, new card and new lesson learned I suppose.

Kosher Fried

Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
DFW, TX
interesting

i just got hit with fraud again this morning. however, it was for the number i used with AVE originally, and not the new card number (i think that's good, actually, since the new card that i used Thursday wasn't hit)....

but that means the f'ers that have the original data are giving it another pass...hope all yall changed your cards

Kosher Fried

Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
DFW, TX
When you say "originally" what date window are you referring to, Kosher? Fyi, I can confirm my card at the end of 2012 did not get hit.

RHP

I used the same card up to my last purchase around March 2013, around the time Ave found out about all this.

They may have acct numbers they didn't use yet, meaning some members may have the same cards and may be in danger of continuing fraud

Jshill520

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2012
Cumberland, MD
I used the same card up to my last purchase around March 2013, around the time Ave found out about all this.

They may have acct numbers they didn't use yet, meaning some members may have the same cards and may be in danger of continuing fraud

Yeah sometime you get hit right away and sometimes they are sneaky and wait a couple months before they try. I'd rather get hit right away if its gonna happen. I always check my stuff out after I order online but its hard to stick with it

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Even if I hadn't been hit, I would have changed my card number by now after hearing about all this. Who wouldn't? A stitch in time saves nine. Even if you're a vaper who isn't "connected" like we are, I guarantee they know someone who is. Hell, even Phil Busardo is commenting about it on youtube. Even folks who don't use AVE juices, know about what happened earlier. Good looking out though, Kosh.

RHP

Ravenous

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
It's a shame that AVE has not responded to these events.

1. It is a clear PCI violation to store credit card information on the servers that they were using. Was the AVE server breached and card data was on their servers? If so, they are in clear violation of PCI and the credit card companies can charge hefty fines when in violation.

2. If the card information was not stored on the AVE servers then it would have been a breach at the credit card processor. I am unsure what credit card processor that they were using but when processors have security breaches they are typically known about publicly and actions are taken preemptively to mitigate the damage.

I do not want to speculate which company is at fault (even though I have my own suspicions). It may be worth reporting to your credit card companies where you believe your credit card information was obtained so that they can further investigate.

-Rav

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
It's a shame that AVE has not responded to these events.
-Rav

I have responded...months ago, when it happened.

We are and were PCI compliant.

We did not and do not store CC information on our site(servers).

As for fault that can be re-placed on the hackers shoulders. As they had to bypass the security measures in place and not a few of them either.

I do not want to speculate which company is at fault

Yes you do as evidenced by this post. Not only wanting to but also with enough verve to write your theory out here. "Speculate" is probably the best word you could have used as speculation is the use of little evidence to create a theory, which you have done beautifully well.

If you are here to stir the pot, you'll be at a loss.

Ravenous

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I have responded...months ago, when it happened.

We are and were PCI compliant.

We did not and do not store CC information on our site(servers).

I read through the entire thread and there was not a single post by you. Would you mind linking me to your statement since I appear to have missed it? I do appreciate you clarifying that credit card information is/was not stored on your servers -- that is great to know and can only a benefit to you in this situation.

Yes you do as evidenced by this post. Not only wanting to but also with enough verve to write your theory out here. "Speculate" is probably the best word you could have used as speculation is the use of little evidence to create a theory, which you have done beautifully well.

No, I did not speculate what happened nor did I post any theories. I was simply stating verifiable facts. Of course, all of this could have been avoided if you would have simply posted your statement in this thread or stickied it in the forum...

-Rav

Cyric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2012
Louisville, Ky
He had a statement up on his website for weeks regarding the issue. There have been threads about the issue all over the internet and that is why he went through a complete revamp of his website.

Why are we now arguing about it here?

Facts were really simple to find. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Avejuice+credit+issues
Hackers utilized a backdoor into the Credit card processing system that was in use on many sites, not just Avejuice.

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
I ordered fairly recently, (missed all this CC drama), and I have ordered from them in the past although its been quite some time. Just got tagged this month with almost a grand to a site that sells tickets (sports/concerts etc) stubmaster? Real bummer, wish I had been paying attention ! Might have avoided all this! Oh well, new card and new lesson learned I suppose.

I need to clarify what I said, as well as confess to being a little stupid and a tad clueless;)

I think I made it sound as if I had very recently ordered from AVE and then had issues with my card. Not quite accurate....
I had no idea that there was an AlienVapor, no idea they were selling a knockoff of Boba's. That is what I had recently purchased, and was so unimpressed (Man! This stuff is so not what I remembered Bobas being!!), I was in the process of selling my "Bobas" in the classifieds when I learned it wasn't really what I thought it was.
The last time I purchased the real deal was quite some time ago, and I'm certain I was part of the compromised bunch of cards from back then, not from any recent transactions/purchases.
I don't hold AVE responsible for the failure of their processor. It sucks, I'm not thrilled about getting dinged and its too bad that AVE's name seems to be wrapped up with this in many people's minds. Just my opinion.
I also beleive that they have addressed the issue and when I was able earlier this week I promptly bought some AVE Bobas, which just arrived today! It's still great stuff, and I'm happy to have gotten ahold of some.

So just to clarify I'm 99.9% sure my issue with my card stemmed from a long ago transaction, not anything recent.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Lets not forget that these card numbers are bought and sold on net sites/forums. When there's a new buyer, a new rash of test and large purchases happen. You may even be informed before any tests are done because I've seen news report indicating that CC companies and banks peruse these sites. I know the reports are true because I have an offline friend whose bank closed her account at a most inopportune time for her then sent her an email saying they did it because they saw her number sold on one of these sites. I'm just trying to point out that if your number was stolen and you didn't change it or close that account for whatever reason including not knowing it was stolen, fraud may not be related to theft of your number via a recent purchase or it may be. The hacker rings don't usually use the number themselves attracting "heat" to them. They sell the number and that may take some time to do or it may happen quickly. The only thing you can do is share information and watch for patterns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread