Status
Not open for further replies.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
patkin, Can a $1 temporary charge (hold) give the theives any information other than the card is active? I had someone called "payroll reno ca us" show up as a pending transaction for a good solid week recently, then it disappeared. For a buck. I hadn't used the card for a while so there's no reason to see that. And since it eventually disappeared, I can't exactly dispute it.

RHP

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
patkin, Can a $1 temporary charge (hold) give the theives any information other than the card is active? I had someone called "payroll reno ca us" show up as a pending transaction for a good solid week recently, then it disappeared. For a buck. I hadn't used the card for a while so there's no reason to see that. And since it eventually disappeared, I can't exactly dispute it.

RHP

As Killjoy1 says, the only info they get is that the number they bought (usually) is good and the account is active. If I were you, I would close the account and open another. You already know your account number is out there among the thieves so each time they resell it your account will be hit. Banks vary on how they streamline the close/reopen accounts process but if you explain they should be very helpful. When you get the new account, setup either cell phone or email alerts or both. Setup the alerts for 50 cents because these thieves, as you've seen, are doing one dollar test runs. Also, I would have two, unlinked by overdraft protection, accounts. Only keep a small amount like $5.00 in the small one and transfer funds to it as you make net purchases and never use the larger account on the net or hand the card to someone taking it out of your sight as in a restaurant. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread