Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Aluminum case 3.54" x 1.25" x 1.25" (90mm x 32mm x 32mm).

Cricket has 2, 1200mAh 15A round nano-tech lipos for a total of 2400mAh, 36A.

I used the transparent material for the display frame/cradle.

This is it - I'm hanging up my soldering iron and taking a looooong break from modding. :laugh:

cricket1.jpg

cricket4.jpg

cricket3.jpg

cricket2.jpg

Size comparison with some of my other DNA20D mods...
cricket5.jpg

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
i love this, its exactly what ive been looking for with my dna20. only gripe is the raised 510(dat gap). where can i get a flushmount 510

The 510 isn't raised, it's the drip cup. I imagine if you want the 510 flush with the top of the box, you could just skip the drip cup.

Tanrichguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hiya Mamu,

I am building a DNA box mod similar to this in that it has a top and bottom cap vs. a cap on the front or back.

My question is: Did you use some kind of tray to mount everything on and then slide it into position inside the enclosure, or did you "stuff" it in there and then epoxy?

Thanks!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Hiya Mamu,

I am building a DNA box mod similar to this in that it has a top and bottom cap vs. a cap on the front or back.

My question is: Did you use some kind of tray to mount everything on and then slide it into position inside the enclosure, or did you "stuff" it in there and then epoxy?

Thanks!

No tray. All parts are positioned individually inside the case, then each epoxied in position.

Tanrichguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
Thanks Mamu.

For my first build attempt I went with a case like this:

a2ate3at.jpg

It is a split body case so very easy to work with. I've already got all my switches, batteries (I went with turnigy round lipo 1200mah), 510 connectors, DNA and charging pcb. I also bought a selection of your screen cradles from shape ways. Well, yours and Baps I should say. Great job on those by the way.

The only thing that has me perplexed at the moment is how to mount the DNA board itself. I could of course used double sided tape but I'm wondering if that will hold it firmly enough. I don't want to epoxy it in case it ever requires servicing. I'm surprised Bap didn't do up a cradle for the DNA board as well as the screen. Perhaps it's time for me to brush up on my solidworks lol.

I'll be sure to start a new thread once the build begins. I can't thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge and experience. This is going to be a lot of fun!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
...The only thing that has me perplexed at the moment is how to mount the DNA board itself. I could of course used double sided tape but I'm wondering if that will hold it firmly enough. I don't want to epoxy it in case it ever requires servicing. I'm surprised Bap didn't do up a cradle for the DNA board as well as the screen. Perhaps it's time for me to brush up on my solidworks lol.

Double-sided tape won't hold the board well enough in place to protect the display if the board should bump into it if the mod gets dropped or takes a bump. Better to use foam tape.

Or, what I do is use gel epoxy - I apply a layer to the back of the display (also all around the frame/cradle inside the case to adhere the frame/cradle to the inside of the case), let that dry, then apply a layer on top of that and adhere the transducer on the board to the top of that. When it's dry the board won't budge at all in case the mod gets dropped or it takes a bump. Gel epoxy is easily softened when applying heat so the whole works can be removed without damage.

Hot glue does the same thing as gel epoxy, but hot glue gets gooey and sticky when you heat it to soften it, gel epoxy doesn't - it just gets soft and pliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread