Curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
My mom is a non/never smoker who has COPD. She contracted a lung fungus that required a portion of one of her lungs to be removed. As a result she suffers chronic bronchitis. She is sick right now and using her nebulizer. She has been noticing the signs of the bronchitis for almost 2 weeks.

We were talking today and I started thinking about her nebulizer meds and ecig similarities and started thinking, If she had something like a cig a like with just pg and menthol crystals if that would offer some soothing when she does start having some chest congestion, before the bronchitis... Almost like an inhaled vapor rub. She seems interested in the idea, so thought i would discuss it here.

It would be nothing close to an all the time thing. Just when she feels a bit congested.

The Vagabond

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
LA,California,USA
I would strongly recommend that a lifetime non smoker of good health not consider vaping ....

I would oppose a lifetime non smoker of ill health as you described your moms health, to start vaping
I would advise her to obtain, follow and adhere closely to the medical advice of her DR's and medical team. I would advise you to insure that her medical team is the best you can find. work closely with them and take care of her and yours

while I'm certain that vaping is inherently safe, its short of saying that it would reverse in the short term health issues that have taken its toll over time

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
My mom is a non/never smoker who has COPD. She contracted a lung fungus that required a portion of one of her lungs to be removed. As a result she suffers chronic bronchitis. She is sick right now and using her nebulizer. She has been noticing the signs of the bronchitis for almost 2 weeks.

We were talking today and I started thinking about her nebulizer meds and ecig similarities and started thinking, If she had something like a cig a like with just pg and menthol crystals if that would offer some soothing when she does start having some chest congestion, before the bronchitis... Almost like an inhaled vapor rub. She seems interested in the idea, so thought i would discuss it here.

It would be nothing close to an all the time thing. Just when she feels a bit congested.

This is an interesting curiosity. My sister in law also has COPD and suffers chronic bronchitis too but is an ex smoker as of a week ago and is vaping. She has a doctors appointment today and I will discuss this with him to see what he has to say. Of course I would not take his advice for your mother because her situation is different and I would suggest you consult her doctors for advice. Thanks for posting this.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
It does not quite sound like something that would be good for a non smoker. Vaping is awesome for those of us who are former/current smoker or even the social smoker looking for something safer, but I strongly recommend avoiding it if you don't have a nic addiction.

That being said anything like this is best discussed with her Doctor. I can see your logic, but I know from my experience menthol and high PG are a throat irritant for me.

Kudos for trying to think beyond just the basics to help your mom though. Perhaps some rubs or oils might be a more practical road though.

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
Menthol actually irritates the throat and nasal passages. It's just that it also deadens the nerves on so it feels soothing even though it's actually causing damage. Judging from your location I'm thinking valley fever? both of my parents got it too. It's why I don't live in AZ anymore

No... Histoplasmosis.. a fungus from pigeon dropping in TN... we lived there for about 10 years... She had the lung surgery when I was 7

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
It does not quite sound like something that would be good for a non smoker. Vaping is awesome for those of us who are former/current smoker or even the social smoker looking for something safer, but I strongly recommend avoiding it if you don't have a nic addiction.

That being said anything like this is best discussed with her Doctor. I can see your logic, but I know from my experience menthol and high PG are a throat irritant for me.

Kudos for trying to think beyond just the basics to help your mom though. Perhaps some rubs or oils might be a more practical road though.

There would be no nic in it... just plain.. She loves the rubs and everything with menthol but a lot of them she says dont seem to target where she has the main congestion... it works great for sinus and throat but it doesnt seem to help with her chest congestion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread