Deal Extreme Health E-cigar (ruyan vegas copy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put an order in from dealextreme for both the healthy e-cigar and the healthy e-cigarette pack. The e-cigar contains a charger and a couple of refills and the pack looks like a normal pack of cigarettes, contains six carts and a charger. It seems like kind of a gimmick but for 17 bucks seems to be pretty good swag either way. I am hoping the cigars are decent. I am returning to the US mainland for Thanksgiving and hope that I can hand them out to friends and have a smoke. It's been far too long since I've been home and I've missed a lot of house warmings, babies being born and a couple of weddings.

I'll post a review when I recieve the my package. I hope it works out. That website has free shipping, which is a big deal when you live in Hawaii. It think I paid 31 dollar S&H for my njoy.

moz-screenshot-2.jpg

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
okay got mine.. i like it.. i think it is basically a rechargeable copy of the ruyan.. the fluid is 16 mg and tastes like a cigar..

it seems to me its intended to be used then thrown.. a throw away with three times the life of the ruyan its a copy of.. at the price its good.. assuming u want to smoke a bloody great cigar..

its better than i expected it to be..

when plugged in the red light come on.. this means power to the charger.. when the device is connected the green light comes on.. this means power is going into the battery and its being charged..

when the green light goes off this means the the battery is fully charged.. its not a red light that changes colour simply a green charge light that is either on or off.. the red light stays on all the time..

anyways for what it is and at the price it is i like it..

trog

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I liked it, too, Trog, right up to failure to charge. I intend to try my best to fix it. Taste was fine, draw was easy enough for a cigar and it is quite comparable in use to the Vegas. The carts are easy to refill and if I solve the battery charging problem, I'm not tossing this one. Great price and I'm glad you got one that fully works. My green light never came on, not when new, not after a day of use that discharged the battery.

The E-Pack, however, is pure junk.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
yes i never bothered with the e pack.. but u know my philosophy with cheap and chinese.. factor in a (possible) 30% possible failure rate.. never ever buy one and base your judgment on that..

buy three.. u dont need three chargers okay.. if they work u will need three cigars.. three cigars only need one working charger..

the cigar we are talking about is about the nearest yet to your use and chuck ideal.. over time your failure rate will kinda get lost with the spare parts u collect from the duff ones..

a friend of mine wants to build wind turbines.. he says chinese fails.. i say buy six and u will have at two good ones and tons of spare parts from the four failed ones..

it works bob.. just never buy one.. the cigar is basically a nice product.. mine works better than most devices i have tried.. have another go with it.. u really do have to accept chinese stuff for what it is.. do this and the little buggers will serve u well..

they serve me well..

trog

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
more real cigar like i would say.. not overly powerfull but it says "cigar" in a pleasant way as soon as u puff it.. i found it quite nice.. tooo bloody big by far but very cigar like.. pleasnt and not to over powering.. plenty of vapour.. more than a bling.. i aint gonna fault it..

lets say its life has been saved.. i like it enough to keep it instead of gutting it to see whats inside.. he he

basically for the same price as a bottle of wicked liquid u get 15 ml of nice-ish stuff and the device to smoke it with.. it figures to me some people expect too much for their few dollars.. for the money i think its good..

it would never make my everyday smoke thow.. but based purely on the smoking experience its nice.. "occasionally".. he he he

its a nice novelty to me.. nor for everyday use.. but for some as a disposable it could perhaps be..

trog

Last edited:

threespeed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2008
Birmingham, uk
Ok I got mine yesterday.
My first impression is what a baaargain.
It tastes and looks like a real cigar has reasonable vapour and ease of draw, addmitedley the only comparison I have is brief use of my friends dse901.

The only problem I have is the green light that is supposed to go out when fully charged goes out after about 5 to 10 minutes. so I tried Leaford's advise and left it on for the full stated charge time and it works great.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
in theory when that green light goes out its supposed to stop charging.. mine went out after about fifteen minutes.. normal to me cos they are likely to come fully charged anyway..

i say in theory cos with cheap chinese chargers it could be faulty..

but over charging lithium batteries is dangerous and it will soon kill them off.. its all supposed to be automatic.. a lithium charger should not switch to trickle mode like a metal hydride charger does it should switch off.. if it dosnt its faulty..

this leave on for extra hours to make sure stuff is nonsense.. nothing is supposed to go in when the fully charged light says its done.. mostly it dosnt which is a good job else their would be a few fires and tons of dead lithium cells..

mind u these things might not have lithium cells in them.. i think they will have but havnt taken one apart to make sure.. he he

trog

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Well, the green light on my charger has never gone on, and I left it continuously on for a couple days. At least. But I haven't used it enough to wear the battery down, so I can't be sure whether it recharges or not. :D

The thing has too hard a draw for me to use very often. Like a 1 out of 5. But it is a great vapor maker. That big square void in the LED light is annoying. And even as little as I've used it, the paper on the mouthpiece is already falling apart. So real bad marks for build quality. But, hey, it works and whaddya want for $23? A Bling? :D

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
It's rehashing an old argument Trog, but as I've said before, my experience and that of many other posters like Threespeed, is that on the initial charge if you pull it off as soon as the light turns green performance is low and the battery won't last long. If you leave it on the reccomended 8 hours you will have much better results.

You are quoting from theory, Trog, but when experience diagrees with theory my belief is that you should adjust your theories, because reality is a lot harder to adjust. :D

As you've just said, maybe the green lights aren't right? Or maybe they use a different charging method. I took your advice, long ago, and "bloody googled it," and found four methods for charging lithium ion batteries. One is to monitor the voltage and cut off the charge totally when it reaches the predetermined level. That sounds like what you mean.

But other chargers charge to 70%, and then reduce the charge to a constant trickle until it reaches full capacity and then shuts off totally. Others just charge for a preset amount of time, and others monitor the battery temperature and continuously charge so long as the battery doesn't exceed a max temperature.

So it seems to me there are other possibilities you aren't considering, and again, maybe the damn lights just don't work and turn green while the charger is still charging.

I keep meaning to redo that battery charging experiment with the inital charge on brand new batteries. But every time I get new batteries it's with a new e-cig and I ain't gonna be bothered with that when I want to get my new toy working! :D

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
u love to argue dont u.. get some tools out like a volt meter and ampmeter.. check voltages and current.. also find something out about lithium battery techology.. its quite clear u know nothing about it.. he he

and i have also played with more lithium batteries than u have many more....

charge outside in flame proof box.. u are being saved by the automatics dude.. which is a good job with u cos u think u know best..

quoting from theory my ...... he he he

still love dude.. he he

trog

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
You wont find fancy charging techniques in these chargers. I have checked some of my other e-cig chargers with multimeter and the voltage jumps up and down no end. I believe most of these cheap chargers are some sort of "probabilistic trickle" chargers. I.e they output 4.3v 5% of the time, 4.2v 10% of the time, 4.1 15% of the time and soforth. At higher voltages it lets less current in to the battery so it doesn't get damaged.

I actually sticked one of my 10440 cells to these chargers and it charged it all the way up to 4.5v and it was still charging it. Strange. I think there might of been diode or some sort of protection in e-cigs battery as I have never seen them get charged that high. Dx sells some expensive($25) soshine chargers that I would consider safe regardless of what battery you stick in there. I wouldn't be too worried about these small batteries blowing up. But yeah, I do respect batteries like Hobbycity Online R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY 2200mAh 2S1P 20C $16.79 . That one can output more than 300 watts of power without even breaking a sweat.

threespeed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2008
Birmingham, uk
Just to let you know I used the battery until the cigar LED would not light.
Plugged the charger in, and after a few minutes the green light went out,so I tried it for a few minutes until it went flat again.

I then concluded it was completely flat and needed a full charge, so i gave it the 5 hour charge for a flat battery even though the green light went out after 5 minutes.
I then got 4 hours of decent use before it went flat.
same again today.

I believe someone said the battery is a 700mh lithium cell.

how long do yours last as your main device between charges.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Trog, Threespeed told us his experience, the same experience so many newbies experience. He pulled the battery off the charger as soon as it turned green, and got weak performance until he put it back on for the reccomended time.

If the green light always means that the charger is no longer charging the battery how do you explain my experience, Threespeed's experience, and so many others who have posted the exact same thing?

That's all I'm saying, Trog. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your absolute statement that, "this leave on for extra hours to make sure stuff is nonsense.. nothing is supposed to go in when the fully charged light says its done.. " runs counter not to my experience alone, but a HUGE number of other people. Are we all deluding ourselves? Or could it be that it's not as clear cut and absolute as you think?

threespeed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2008
Birmingham, uk
Ok I will get it back on topic :)

Pulled one apart since I have many couldn't help myself. The battery inside is a ICR14500 LITHIUM BATTERY at 3.7 Volt 700 mAH. Its tiny compared to what could actually fit in there so some great possibilities exist for a larger replacement. Very simple and easy to work with too. A 5 year old could replace its battery.

Will put a larger one in soon and fire it up and see how it goes. By the way it was very easy to remove. I just inserted a plastic tube from the atomizer end and tapped it gently and out it popped.

The possibilities of using the cigar tube and look of this cigar I feel are endless, for instance a BLING type cigar or similar fits in just nice so I will start modding it and see what I can come up with. Its a modders dream so are there any other Modders going to give it a try ?

Pak

say Trog, If this is the battery in the cigar and the charger is rated at 1-Amp shouldn't this charge in 1 hour assuming a 30% loss in charging.

I haven't got an inductive coupling amp-meter so would have to cut the cable to try measuring the current myself.:cry:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
well a battery dosnt have to be fully charged to work leaford.. fully charged just means it runs for longer before needing a recharge..

to noticably affect performance it would have to be near flat.. we run our batteries to near flat all the time.. no problems..

they come at least half charged.. not flat.. i really cant find a rational explanation for your findings.. that just leaves the deluding yourselves factor..

i test lithium cell voltages on a regular basis.. fully charged they read around 4.2 volts.. they go down to 2.7 before the control circuit switches em off..

quite where the fully charged to work idea comes from i dont know either.. they work quite well half charged.. they just dont run for so long..

what u have to do is when the light goes green.. test the battery voltage.. if its between 4 and 4.2 volts thats okay.. by yourself a volt meter..

i dont trust chinese charger which i why to do voltage tests quite often..

4.2 volts is the maximum safe voltage level.. any more and the battery can get damaged or become dangerous.. its not a question of the more there is in them the better..

trog

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
say Trog, If this is the battery in the cigar and the charger is rated at 1-Amp shouldn't this charge in 1 hour assuming a 30% loss in charging.

I haven't got an inductive coupling amp-meter so would have to cut the cable to try measuring the current myself.:cry:

if its a 1 amp battery and the charger puts in 1 amp yes.. but it gets to about 80/90% then slows down so in reality it takes longer.. it can take as long to get the last 10% in as the first 90%.. the last !0% can be not bothered with if u want to use the battery quickly.. it wont be noticed..

i doubt the cigar charger really is 1 amp.. it sound too high.. i knows thats whats written on it but the chinese dont always bother getting these things right

trog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread