Dealing With Negativity About Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptsnipes

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
East Tennessee
Hi everyone,

I've been vaping for about a week and a half, but tomorrow will be my first day without a cigarette. I got my KGO today, and together with the new selection of juices I got yesterday, I feel like it's time to really give it a try.

My question involves the reactions of people around you. I'm curious if any of you had negative reactions to vaping by those around you and how you dealt with them.

First, I have a coworker who tried a gas station e-cig a year or two ago. She had a terrible experience with it, so of course she is going on and on about how this won't work for me, either. By herself, it wouldn't bother me much, but I also have a second problem: my girlfriend.

We have been together over 6 years and our second child is due in August. She has been on me a while to quit smoking. I've tried a few times, but something always made me reach for the cigarettes again. I thought she'd be excited about something that makes me excited about quitting smoking, but her reaction has been quite the opposite. I try to talk to her about vaping, and she isn't the lest bit interested. Fine, I don't have to have her support, but it would have been nice. But today, she starts telling me how she thinks I've gone overboard about the whole thing and how I spend too much time "on that stupid forum"(your fault, thanks a lot guys)

I'm still excited about vaping and getting off of cigs, but it's difficult dealing with negative reactions from everyone. So really, I'm just wondering if any of you have gone through this and how you dealt with it.

Thanks.

Vaptoro

Jan 11, 2012
NC
I'd send you a pm but I can't.....
Your story sounds disheartening at the least. You should be receiving support for quitting cigs, nothing else. I wouldn't associate with the idiot co-worker for one, even though she may think she is helping you save your money by describing her experience. It sounds like their are other issues that you need to take care of with your gf though. Personally I wouldn't mention vaping to her any more, just do your thing and quit the cigs.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
No - I was lucky. Fiance (who is a non-smoker and hates smoke and who I live with) actually suggested I look into them because someone in our World of Warcraft guild was having good luck with ecigs. My folks are no longer around. My sisters who quit cold turkey are OK with it. The two bosses in the small business I work at are OK with it. And in public I was always a considerate smoker so I also don't vape close to strangers. People pretty much ignore whatever they think I am doing.

Sorry about your situation.

Sorry you don't have the support you need. Once you start vaping and it all works for you hopefully everyone will turn around for you. Then you can tell your friend that the product they had must not have been the one and recommend they try another and hopefully your GF will come to realize that it is healthy for you and maybe she will take the time to research and read up on the e-cig. Until then like Vaptoro said just do your thing and quit the cigs.

Gingerzeronic

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Colorado
Hi everyone,

I've been vaping for about a week and a half, but tomorrow will be my first day without a cigarette. I got my KGO today, and together with the new selection of juices I got yesterday, I feel like it's time to really give it a try.

My question involves the reactions of people around you. I'm curious if any of you had negative reactions to vaping by those around you and how you dealt with them.

First, I have a coworker who tried a gas station e-cig a year or two ago. She had a terrible experience with it, so of course she is going on and on about how this won't work for me, either. By herself, it wouldn't bother me much, but I also have a second problem: my girlfriend.

We have been together over 6 years and our second child is due in August. She has been on me a while to quit smoking. I've tried a few times, but something always made me reach for the cigarettes again. I thought she'd be excited about something that makes me excited about quitting smoking, but her reaction has been quite the opposite. I try to talk to her about vaping, and she isn't the lest bit interested. Fine, I don't have to have her support, but it would have been nice. But today, she starts telling me how she thinks I've gone overboard about the whole thing and how I spend too much time "on that stupid forum"(your fault, thanks a lot guys)

I'm still excited about vaping and getting off of cigs, but it's difficult dealing with negative reactions from everyone. So really, I'm just wondering if any of you have gone through this and how you dealt with it.

Thanks.

You do need her support. She just needs to understand your situation. How awful would it be if she failed to realize how important this is for you and your children?

You need to sit her down and go through your logic here. She needs to get on board with you changing your health status. Whatever education she needs, you need to provide.

If she still can't support you, that's a shame. Ask her why she won't support you. Money, time, what? :(

ptsnipes

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
East Tennessee
Thanks everyone,

It really hasn't been all that bad, I think I just needed a moment to vent. :) The only moment that really got me was last night. I was vaping some new banana nut bread juice I got. It's super good. Anyway, my gf told me the smell of bananas was bothering her. First time I've been speechless in a while. I think once I actually do stop smoking, it will put her in a different frame of mind about the whole thing.

Once again, thanks you for being such a good group of people.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
My husband is sort of like that. He is a part-time smoker, but feels he can quit anytime he wants, and he has in the past but he always goes back, so I don't think that counts. Anyway, he's happy I quit smoking, but really doesn't see the e-cigarette as a lot better, a little, but not "the whole way" sort of thing. Sort of substituting one crutch for another, and still getting nicotine so still smoking. I am not doing this for him though. I'd still be smoking if it weren't for these, and I know I feel better.

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
Well, it would be nice if you had more support at home, but you will get all the support you can stand here and from us. In the end, you are quitting for your health and the little one's health. After you get set up, you will also be saving money so everyone in the household will benefit. Just ignore her attitude and continue vaping. She will probably come around in the end once she sees you are sticking to it and that it works. She may be thinking that it's just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. Until she sees the light, just grit your teeth.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
She may not understand this now, but in due time your GF will probably understand this is one of the best things you could possibly do for your children, for her, and for yourself. Sorry you don't have the (local) support you need, but as another poster said, keep coming here for support... we're all pulling for you! I'm an old curmudgeon bachelor hermit myself so such lack of support and even downright scorn doesn't mean much to me, but that hasn't always been true for me. Just remember, you're doing the right thing putting down the analogs, and at the moment the method you've chosen is the best one around, so don't be discouraged. Welcome to ECF, and Happy Vaping!

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I was vaping some new banana nut bread juice I got. It's super good. Anyway, my gf told me the smell of bananas was bothering her. First time I've been speechless in a while. I think once I actually do stop smoking, it will put her in a different frame of mind about the whole thing.

I remember that some smells really bothered me when I was pregnant. She may be fine with the smell after the baby is born.

ptsnipes

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
East Tennessee
I remember that some smells really bothered me when I was pregnant. She may be fine with the smell after the baby is born.

She definitely has that problem. It's one of the reasons I started researching vaping. When I smoke a cigarette, I can't even be in the same room as her for 15 minutes after or it makes her sick. It's just after complaining about the smoke smell, complaining about the bananas almost made me laugh.

Vaptoro

Jan 11, 2012
NC
You do need her support. She just needs to understand your situation. How awful would it be if she failed to realize how important this is for you and your children?

You need to sit her down and go through your logic here. She needs to get on board with you changing your health status. Whatever education she needs, you need to provide.

If she still can't support you, that's a shame. Ask her why she won't support you. Money, time, what? :(

Ummmm.. it's not too hard to figure out. She said she was upset he was spending so much time on the forums, and she's pregnant.... enough said. I'm sure deep down she wants him to quit, but it really is something that can be done without others help, so why bother talking to her about it if it's bothering her. Instead, spend more time with her instead of on the forums and enjoy being smoke free for the new addition :)

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ptsnipes, I did have a similar situation to yours, I decided it was my time to give up analogs. Much like you I was given a rash of crap about how this was a bad idea. How much I spent to get started. How much time I spent here. Wether or not this would even "Work" for me. I smoked for over 23 years 2 packs a day for over 10 of them, newports no less.... I will be celebrating my year of vaping in the next few weeks. If you want to give up analogs then do it for you. Do it for your new child. For what ever reason you decide to do it, we will all be here to help you out, lift you up, help you get a laugh . She will eventually see you are trying to do the right thing for you all. Celebrate your milestones as they come. You have crossed many bumpy roads to come this far. It will get better. Good luck. Happy Vaping.

ptsnipes

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
East Tennessee
Ummmm.. it's not too hard to figure out. She said she was upset he was spending so much time on the forums, and she's pregnant.... enough said. I'm sure deep down she wants him to quit, but it really is something that can be done without others help, so why bother talking to her about it if it's bothering her. Instead, spend more time with her instead of on the forums and enjoy being smoke free for the new addition :)

Guess I should have clarified a little bit. It's not the time on the forums that is the problem. Believe me, she's not being ignored. :) The problem is that when I do have some free time, instead of doing whatever else I normally do on the computer, I come here and start reading. She feels like I'm going overboard in general on vaping.

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
I used to be very self conscious about vaping but I got over it. This may sound brutal, but I vape for ME. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it. Fortunately, my wife doesn't mind at all. If she didn't, it wouldn't make a difference. I've never had a negative comment from anyone in public. Ever. I always carry a spare cart for anyone that wants to try my PV. I am a ninja stealth vaper when I need to be. I just keep it on the down low and don't worry about it. Hopefully your GF will come around.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
She definitely has that problem. It's one of the reasons I started researching vaping. When I smoke a cigarette, I can't even be in the same room as her for 15 minutes after or it makes her sick. It's just after complaining about the smoke smell, complaining about the bananas almost made me laugh.

I know this is getting a little off topic but keep in mind you're both under quite a bit of stress right now, and a lot of it is for different reasons, or at least viewed from different perspectives. I doubt if she CAN be as supportive of you as you need her to be right now, so just try to keep being as supportive as you can of her, and keep doing what you're doing to get off the cigs. God Bless you both, and your young family.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Here's one of the REALLY great things about vaping, that your gf has yet to experience. You won't smell like an ashtray any longer! So, get a good PV and start vaping. You will immediately gain something very important, confidence. It won't be you against those that are unaware of what vaping is. It will be a non-smoking you. And, trust me, that will be a major influence on their opinion of what vaping is all about. Bet, that girl that tried the "cheapy" eCig before, will want to know what you're using, once you have been vaping for a month. : )

One more thing, tell your gf that you will not be vaping around her or the baby, and stick to it. I'm sure you were not planning on doing it, anyway. But make sure she knows that.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread