Dealing With Negativity About Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaptoro

Jan 11, 2012
NC
I know this is getting a little off topic but keep in mind you're both under quite a bit of stress right now, and a lot of it is for different reasons, or at least viewed from different perspectives. I doubt if she CAN be as supportive of you as you need her to be right now, so just try to keep being as supportive as you can of her, and keep doing what you're doing to get off the cigs. God Bless you both, and your young family.

Well said sir!

ptsnipes

Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
East Tennessee
Thank you for all the well wishing everyone. I'm sure once this turns into more or less a normal part of my life instead of something new my gf will realize how much better this is compared to smoking. This is something I'm doing for myself, but also for my family as well. I'd like my kids to have a dad that will be around for a while. I appreciate all the support, and I'll be sure to let you know how it's going. As far as my Feb. 1 quit date goes, 18 minutes in and I haven't even craved a cigarette yet. :)

Last edited:

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My husband is sort of like that. He is a part-time smoker, but feels he can quit anytime he wants, and he has in the past but he always goes back, so I don't think that counts. Anyway, he's happy I quit smoking, but really doesn't see the e-cigarette as a lot better, a little, but not "the whole way" sort of thing. Sort of substituting one crutch for another, and still getting nicotine so still smoking. I am not doing this for him though. I'd still be smoking if it weren't for these, and I know I feel better.

Yeah this is my situation exactly, with gender reversal. My wife, an occasional smoker is certainly glad I have given up the analogs. BUT, she too feels I am just switching one bad habit for another, and a seemingly more expensive one at that with all of the juices and PVs I bought to get started. I tried to explain to her the "start up cost" bit, but she has a hard time grasping that in the long run, eventually I will break even (don't expect to go overboard and am quite happy with my current PVs), and then come out ahead. It might take 6 months or even a year to get to this point, as I am planning to get a Provari in the next few months! Ok so maybe a LITTLE overboard, but really the bottom line is I quit smoking, right?

My time spent on this forum, like the OP has also been a sticking point with her. I tell her that I'm getting the support for quitting smoking that I'm not totally getting at home, which may change her attitude a bit, and that thanks to the forum I've educated myself enough to know how to maximize my experience and cut the cost by purchasing cheap juices which last a lot longer than 5 cartomizers for $20! This doesn't seem to help though. Telling her I was planning to drop another $250 on the Provari to increase battery life, the overall vaping experience, easier to refill and continue using the cheaper juices etc, was perhaps a mistake this early in my PV career!

Understandably, she feels this is just a passing phase, something new and "shiny" that like many previous hobbies will go by the wayside and then it's just a bunch of money wasted. But I know this is a long term thing, giving up smoking, and perhaps I will eventually give up vaping as well, but not any time soon as I am enjoying discovering all the wonderful flavors out there!

Good luck to us all...

Carbon

Last edited:

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Yo PT,

I just posted this in the General section. It is an incredible deal $35 (includes free shipping). You can't go wrong for a starter kit....get it! There is only a few of these, and the deal is only up there for a few hours. Sorry for the rushed news. I know about this, cuz I just ordered one, so I have a 510. My first kit is 808.

http://www.vaporbeast.com/Mega_Smok_Tech_Ego_p/sk3.htm

3 Smok Tech 1.6 ohms eGo Mega 5ML Dual Coil Cartomizers
2 900 mAh Batteries
1 Large Black eGo Case
1 Directions
1 Charger and adaptor

TonyTT

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
Ottawa
Just throw out the cigarettes, the lighters ANYTHING smoking related. You don't need them. She'll come around soon enough, when she realizes how much you don't smell like an ashtray anymore. I understand how some loved ones know your past histories. And no matter how hard it might be, over the years they will become a little skeptical. Is it just another crazy pipe dream? Is he going to be excited for a week and throw it all away? And that's completely understandable. In a way she's trying to look out for you, and save some money and heartache. It is your job to prove her wrong this time, by sticking to it. Show her with actions, not promises and she'll come to respect you for it. As for the co-worker (does she still smoke?), I'd also point out that I bought some small earbud headphones at the dollar store, and those didn't work out for me either. You get what you pay for. But don't tell her this, it's a conversation and minutes of your life you won't get back. And here at ECF we're in the business of getting back life we thought we lost:).

Good luck and welcome to ECF!

Also I have a similar story where I showed one of my co-workers, a secretary and she was also skeptical. She really wanted to quit, but wasn't to sure about vaping. She said she would try to quit with the nicotine inhaler instead, said she had used it before. I showed her the first day I got my PV, and it has now been 43 days, and I think she is setting her quit date for next week. Should have seen the look on her face when she asked me if I was still doing that e-cig thing :p

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
Just hang in their she will come around to appreciate you not smoking anymore.
My wife was real supportive. I have smoked 40 + years and she is as enthusiastic about me for not smoking as I am.
I was ridiculed by friends and family because of vaping but I just brushed that off. Now 2 of those are vaping also.

As already said just educate her about the benefits and that vaping will allow you to live longer and happier for her and your expected little bundle of joy.

MrGiggly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
UK
Good for you for taking the plunge and switching to e-cigs. My first child was born at the end of Dec, and my wife, seeing that I was struggling to meet my promise and give up the cigs before the baby arrived suggested I try e-cigs. She also thinks I am a little obsessive about the amount of money I've spent on kit and time I spend on the forums, however she also appreciates that its a stressful time for both of us and is just glad that our little girl is not subjected to second hand smoke.

I found that as I worried more about trying to give up cigs, my stress levels rose and I ended up smoking more!

Incidentally, whilst I'm sure you have no intention of smoking or vaping around your baby, its important to realise that with smoking, it takes a good 30 mins before the smoke particles that have clung to you and your clothes have dropped in sufficient quantities to minimise the affect on them.

I don't try to force feed her any information on vaping, but sometimes her curiousity is peaked and I take the opportunity to explain what I've learnt and the kit that I've bought. I've also found that with the health benefits I have more energy and can play a more supportive role.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Your vaping to improve your health and extend the quality of your life. Some people are always going to be judgmental towards new and strange things. Especially when e cigs resemble a certain cancer causing cousin, which most people hate. I predict if these things don't get banned there will be a evolution in nicotine delivery and e cigs will be the norm.

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
I didn't even say anything to my wife. I never smoked in the house, anyway. So, I got my kit in the mail, when my wife was away. I charged the batteries in the car & started vaping right away. I quit analogs over a 3 day period. It was maybe a week before she said anything about it, but she had to have noticed that I didn't stink anymore. She was surprized that the crazy thing works! She has been supportive ever since.

Trucapri

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
It's been 32 years since the night my husband opened a can of cornbeef hash while I was pregnant and felt too uncomfortable to fix supper; and still today I get instantly queezy when I smell cornbeef hash! If you want to enjoy banana and other strong flavors later on, be VERY considerate now. I'm confident everything will be just fine . . . in time!!

Best wishes to you and your growing family!!!!!!!

on3fifth

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Princeton IN
I had this issue with my ex girlfriend. She did get over with time since I did not come in the house smelling like an ash tray. Also 5 dollars a day was kinda of pricey. Give her time and show the people it works by using it and standing up for what you like doing especially if it something that can actually save your life.. Welcome to the Forums and good luck she will come around and keep on vapin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread