Depression and lethargy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5671

Jun 28, 2010
indiana usa
82 days no cigarettes. 24 mg 40 days, 12mg the remainder. Lethargic and depressed. Hard to get out of bed. Feel like crap. Decreased sex drive. Don't feel like working. Started early on but got progressively worse as time progressed. Wasn't like this before I quit. Don't want to do and be stuck on anti depressants. Don't want to go back to smoking. Any suggestions.....? I have a feeling what I'm gonna hear.

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
82 days no cigarettes. 24 mg 40 days, 12mg the remainder. Lethargic and depressed. Hard to get out of bed. Feel like crap. Decreased sex drive. Don't feel like working. Started early on but got progressively worse as time progressed. Wasn't like this before I quit. Don't want to do and be stuck on anti depressants. Don't want to go back to smoking. Any suggestions..... I have a feeling what I'm gonna hear.

Increase nic level?

Exercise?

Regarding the libido issues... go for it anyway. Those desires tend to feed on themselves.

Do you have good friends around? Spend some time with them.

And... see your doc.. just in case.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
My guess would be that either A) you are missing the MAOIs from the cigarettes, or B) you're thyroid might be telling you it's having trouble functioning. I went through the same symptoms plus some (dry brittle hair, cold all the time, etc.) after I quit smoking cold turkey several years back. Ended up feeling so bad that I went back to cigarettes just to get some relief... well, that and 7 months in I still craved a cigarette almost constantly. :p

If your symptoms are due to A and you don't want to supplement with pharmacopoeia, you can always add snus, orbs or strips to your nicotine regiment to make up for what's missing. B takes some blood tests from your doctor; TSH, T3, Reverse T3 and T4. I'd recommend a visit anyway, just to cover any other bases, full lab work up, etc.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
+1 add snus to the diet.... I can relate to the original post.

I started vaping in January, quit smoking on a daily basis in February, flat out quit smoking in April (have had a few relapses)... but things were somehow different... i actually hadn't noticed that they were so different until I started snus'ing instead of vaping on monday because my lungs were pretty congested... it's like i've woken up to find that i haven't been living my life very well of late.

I had been adding more alcohol to my diet since quitting smoking, this was starting to concern me. That seems to have stopped with the resumption of magical missing ingredients in snus. A much better form of self-medication than beer.

Good luck to you and I hope things get right for you.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Your thyroid may indeed be working slightly less than it should; tobacco smoke contains thiocyanide, which stimulates your thyroid, it can take a while for it to get used to not being stimulated again.

Also, check out smokeless tobacco. Snus or snuff can do miracles, at 2% or less of the risk of analogs. this forum has a smokeless subforum.

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Monmouth, OR
I've got a family history of depression on one side and hypothyroidism on the other, so I pay a lot of attention to stuff like this.

I also work very hard to monitor and control these things so I can stay away from meds. Personal and family experience tells me that for the majority of people with depression OR thyroid problems, they could have managed it without meds if they'd been proactive, but getting off the meds is VERY tough. There are a million studies that show how hard it is to get off anti-depressants and a few recent studies have show that taking certain types of thyroid medications can cause your body to slow it's own production of thyroid even further in exactly the same way that guys who take anabolic steroids end up with tiny shriveled cancer ridden testicles that won't product testosterone anymore.

The advice you've gotten is good, but I'll reiterate a few and add a few.

EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Get a gym membership, get a gym membership for your spouse/best friend/neighbor/whatever and go WITH them. Tell them you want to have somebody to keep you going and you can help each other. Whatever it takes.

Get SUNSHINE. As much as you can. If you're feeling depressed and can't make yourself go out, at least open all the blinds/drapes and sit near a window. It can help.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Plain and simple, stimulants play marry hell with your metabolism. If you've used a lot of it for a long time, your hormone production has changed to compensate. The same thing happens with several brain chemicals. (MAOI, dopamine, all kinds of stuff)

Some people recover very quickly, some people recover very slowly.

Talk to people who care. Talk to your doctor (while being VERY clear that you want to reserve pharmaceuticals for a last resort). Tell them how you feel, and ask for their help. Forums are great, but they're no replacement for people around you.

I don't personally agree with the recommendation of vitamin supplements. There's more and more evidence these days that suggests they don't do nearly as much as we have always believed because a balanced diet rich in natural vitamins contains countless micro-nutrients and modified vitamins that you don't get in a pill from the vitamin store. Go ahead and take the vitamins (any port in a storm) but it's far more important that you eat a balanced healthy diet with lot's of fruit and vegetables.

On the off chance you have a suicidal thought, the single most dangerous thought you can have in response is, "Oh that's just stupid. I'm not a crazy person." Whether it has anything to do with nicotine or not, if you even start down that road, you need to tell somebody.

gice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Northridge
F a t i g u e Won't Quit? Here's 3 Natural Fixes for More Vigor and Stamina |

Fix #1 Cayenne for Circulation

Cayenne pepper powder comes from red-hot chili peppers that are not only good to eat but are great for your health. Where does cayenne come from? The fruit or body of the peppers are dried, then ground down, pulped and baked into cakes, which are then sifted to make the spice known as cayenne pepper. In case you may be slightly confused, red hot chili peppers are sometimes referred to as “cayenne peppers” as well.

Cayenne is unequaled for its ability to boost circulation and increase heart action. The capsicum contained in cayenne exerts a number of desirable actions on the entire cardiovascular system. This herb is a great food for the circulatory system in that it feeds the necessary elements into the cell structure of the arteries, veins and capillaries so that these regain the elasticity of youth again, and the blood pressure adjusts itself to normal. It rebuilds the tissue in the stomach and heals the stomach and intestinal ulcers. By equalizing the blood circulation, cayenne produces natural warmth in your body, and by stimulating the peristaltic motion of the intestines, it aids in assimilation and elimination.

Cayenne has the extraordinary ability to enhance cardiovascular performance while actually lowering blood pressure. It improves circulation rapidly, increasing your blood flow and thereby improving your oxygen levels. As a result, you feel more energized and awake. Cayenne also improves digestion and strengthens the immune system. How to take cayenne? Simply sprinkle some of this piquant spice on food, take cayenne capsules (Don’t take capsules if you get heartburn. It is said that the stomach starts to prepare depending on what you are ingesting. Since cayenne is not detected when it’s swallowed in a capsule, the stomach will not prepare on time.), or mix cayenne pepper powder with warm water and drink.

Chili peppers (hot sauce) is working great at the moment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread