The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Tobacco withdrawal symptoms when using e-cig?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by jsoldi, Apr 25, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. michmich

michmich Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Tx
    I also had the bleeding gums. It lasted for several days, then bam...gone. I haven't had any other symptoms at all.

2. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I had that one too. Here is how I dealt with it. The after dinner cig was part ritual and part habit. So I got myself an extra special dessert type liquid and only allowed myself to vape it after meals. I made a ritual out of savoring it. Inside a week problem solved. :)

3. zapped

zapped Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

About 3 weeks in these symptoms hit me pretty hard.It felt like I was in a haze and just couldnt concentrate. I'm no doctor but my guess is it's the 3999 other chemicals in cigarettes leaving our bodies for good. In 25 years of smoking, I wouldnt be surprised if I had bult up quite an excess of them.

The good news it that it passed after a week or two and I feel better than ever at 6 months.I just finished my first ever 5k...ended up walking most of it...but 10 years I wouldnt have been able to finish so it's still a victory.

Hang in there man, youve made it this far and after this bump in the road it will get easier.

4. curlygirl

curlygirl Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Indiana
    15 days into vaping and no analogs since that day as well. I had taken some advice and got the 24mg. I think it was too much nicotine, since I had a headache that persisted for the first few days. It could've been a result of not having the stinkies as well, Idk, I'm not a doctor ;)....I had a few nights of restless sleep the first week. Also had some bleeding, swollen gums.

I have had those "craving" moments for an analog, but try to think how repulsed I was to the smell and how far I had come, I just vaped away :). I am not a big water drinker, but always have a pop or tea on hand.

Hubby quit analogs about the same time I did, he coughed up the gunk, I have yet to do that (both smoked about 20 cigs a day). I'm not sure what else to expect. I just read a lot on here, ask questions, and in turn, receive lots of support :D. I am embracing new "tastes" and "smells" and finding there are some foods that I was eating that I just don't like, others are like tasting for the first time...it's a good thing :D

5. Grimwald

Grimwald Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    I've had and still have all of these symptoms and more. It can be quite a process.

Anxiety and sleeplessness, especially after about 2 months, conquered by lowering nic level and caffeine intake. Seems that I read about smoking prevented the liver from absorbing caffeine. Could be a myth...how would I know.

Bleeding gums, also read someplace that is caused by withdrawal and lower Vitamin C (again a liver thing)...so taking a multi vitamin. Also could be a myth.

Dry skin, dry mouth...water...duh. I also started getting some flavored (not sweetened) seltzer to keep me drinking. Also upped the VG content of my liquids.

Depression. I think this is just losing an old friend (tobacco)...yes I miss it sometimes...but I had to let it go.

Coughing up gunk...was pretty much over this after 2-3 weeks.

Smell...yep, just discovered that somethings smell bad...who knew.

6. Lundyb

Lundyb Full Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ireland
    I get a bit of a craving that I can't fill , having one right now e.g. I've slept, eaten, drank, vaped... but I still feel as though I'm 'missing' something. I'm happy enough vaping and don't feel as though I'll ever "need" to smoke again, but the thought of a marlboro does get me excited

7. lukezra

lukezra Full Member Verified Member

Apr 1, 2013
    NJ/NY, USA
    I had/am having very similar symptoms to those you described. However, my symptoms seem to manifest themselves in the form of irritability or a lack of patience...though I've had instances of heightened anxiety recently (I'd never really experienced anxiety before, so it took a minute to know what was happening).

For me the irritability started around 4 weeks in or so (I started vaping and had my last analog 45 days ago...no period of weaning off analogs). I actually turned to this forum for advice: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404384

(Some useful advice in there)

I'm a former PAD guy and I vape 18mg generally, but started using 24mg periodically to address my impatience/irritability. It seems to be helping a bit. At least I had my .... together enough to apologize to someone last night after I was salty to them on the phone. Progress!

I first noted the anxiety earlier this week (at around 42 days off analogs). Leaned on my 24mg a bit more yesterday/last night and today it hasn't been an issue.

You may find that increasing your nicotine concentration can help you also. It's worth a shot.

You're not alone! And I feel like these symptoms will pass in time.

Hope that helps...

8. mmsjs5

mmsjs5 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2009
    Illinois
    My 1st go with e-cigs only was January 1st, 2010. It was great, until 6 wks later when the depression and anxiety slammed me. I went back to part-time smoking (5 or 6/day), to get over it. Then, I discovered WTA. That seems to have been the fix. I've been cig free since 7/7/2012.

I am now weaning myself off of the WTA. I have mixed it with regular liquid from the beginning, so you really don't have to vape it straight, to get the benefits. It is more expensive, and sometimes hard to get. I would recommend you investigate it and see if it would be something you could use to get you over the hump.

Some of us need an extra step in the process. There's also Swedish snus (non-spit) and Stonewalls hard snuff (dissolvables), that's very good at giving us whatever that extra oomph is that we need. There's a smokeless section here on ECF that is very good at sharing information and helping anyone that asks.

Hope things improve for you. :)

9. chrisEg

chrisEg Full Member Verified Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Hey, been dealing with depression and anxiety...forever. Do an internet search on B-vitamins and depression, this has helped me through some rough times. Chris

10. Jethead

Jethead Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia
    Exactly my situation.

11. daleron

daleron ECF Guru - TWR Co-Mod Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Oh, that's excellent Myrany! That 'after dinner' cig has been difficult for me too:toast:

12. daleron

daleron ECF Guru - TWR Co-Mod Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    There's no shame in seeing your doctor either, remember, a lot of us were 'self-medicating' with cigs to keep ourselves calm. You may actually need a little help with the anxiety/depression for a while.

13. Out of Stock

Out of Stock Full Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Pass Christian, MS
    I've had the exact opposite 'problem'. After having quit smokes for about 4 years I had started smoking again back in Sept last year. My brain kept telling me you've beaten cigs before and you can do it again, so go ahead - smoke up and enjoy! Well, after a couple months of enjoyment I started feeling anxious almost to the point of a panic attack while smoking. I think it was a combination of the cigs and massive amounts of coffee I was drinking that would bring it on. It was almost to the point where I seriously wondered if I was going to fall down from a heart attack. Now that I switched to e-cigs the feeling has completely gone away. I can vape all day long using 24 mg juice with no effects at all. I get a great nicotine fix without the jitters and anxiety. It's almost too good to be true.

14. EddieAdams

EddieAdams Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    New York
    Had the same thing two to three weeks in. 3-4 days of just feeling miserable emotionally. I've never experienced any type of depression but,I imagined that's what it must feel like...

15. jsoldi

jsoldi Full Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Wow that's a lot of responses. Thanks to everyone for your support. I think I'll just give it some time as I'm feeling better today :). I'm curious about those WTA liquids too. Wonder if these are any good.

16. mmsjs5

mmsjs5 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2009
    Illinois
    That's where I get mine. I have only used Redtail Tobacco Road, so have no opinion on the rest. It blends nicely with my own tobacco mix. The site says that the Redtail line is VG based. It is very thick. I mix it with my regular 80/20 liquids, because to me, the WTA effect is very strong. (10ml WTA to 30ml/30mg 80/20) I used it straight, the day it came and got dizzy, like the 1st cig after 1 month of not smoking.

Glad to hear you're feeling better today. I hope it continues without the extra step. :) :vapor:

17. shihchuansun

shihchuansun Full Member Verified Member

Mar 6, 2013
    USA
    I would suggest concentrating on what next atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, tank, battery, VV/VW mod, mechanical mod, rebuildable dripping atomizer, rebuildable tank atomizer, hybrid to get. Always makes me giddy.

18. Worzel

Worzel Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Lakeland, Florida
    Oh boy, did I go through the withdrawal! I started vaping on a whim. I didn't have cravings for a cigarette because vaping is too darned yummy, but I got the headaches, soreness, got a bad sinus infection because I was vaping PG (allergy) and not drinking water. I switched to VG juice and the infection went away in no time. Quit zits, my skin is totaled. I was extremely hyper when I first started vaping and hocking loogies constantly. Anxiety goes away when I discover a great juice :p

19. route49

route49 Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    India
    I've quit last week & its been a tumultuous ride. I try to keep myself occupied in video games etc. What surprised me the most is how much better I feel within a short span in terms of energy levels & breathing.

20. jfalbanese

jfalbanese Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Westport, WA
    1 month and you are over the hump. with a bad day or 2- 2 months in.3 months in you are completely detoxed from tobacco. nicotine?, after 4 days it is completely out of your system, about 2 weeks to be completely free of nicotine.it depends on your expectations, commitment, and how dependent you think you are on nicotine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.