Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
Does anyone make a mod that has a cased battery pack like a power tool
screwdriver.jpg

This is what I had in mind.

One of the main complaints the battery manufacturers have with us is that we use their products in their naked state.
Is there a reason mod companies don't use this configuration .

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
There was nothing new for a while. It sold poorly. I forget the name. Iirc they wer an 18650 in a square case. The problem was they were proprietary. I’m not Shute what you mean by battery manufacturers “not liking us”
None of the battery manufacturers approve their batteries for use in vape mods.
I think @Baditude posted a letter from Sony. They stated that 18650s are not designed to be used in their raw state and should be used in a cased battery pack with battery management system .
In other words like the power tool above.
From a safety aspect I can't fault the logic.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
One of the main complaints the battery manufacturers have with us is that we use their products in their naked state.
Is there a reason mod companies don't use this configuration .

It's not just the case that's the issue, they also prefer proprietary battery management systems. A proprietary case means no one can put an unknown cell in a device, and proper battery management keeps the cells safe.

I would never buy a system like the Disrupter. It means I have to buy their battery packs, can only use them in their devices, I can't buy my own choice of cells (and I don't know what they actually have in there unless I take one apart and they could still change the cells they use at any time) and I can't use my chargers. I guess it works for people who don't know much about batteries and that's a good thing. OTOH, all the information anyone needs to learn about batteries is pretty easy to find and learn.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
We don't need standardized battery packs, what we need is for the mod boards to have the proper battery management circuitry on-board to make the raw batteries as safe as a battery pack. It doesn't matter if the battery regulation circuit is attached directly to the battery or on the board as long as it works properly.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
We don't need standardized battery packs, what we need is for the mod boards to have the proper battery management circuitry on-board to make the raw batteries as safe as a battery pack. It doesn't matter if the battery regulation circuit is attached directly to the battery or on the board as long as it works properly.
This.

What we have now is technology that allows you to put any cell with the right physical dimensions into any mod built to take those dimensions and fire it up. High risk.

Tool makers build a battery pack out of properly specified cells and build their device such that it will only accept or work with their battery pack. Low risk.

What would be nice is having the industry develop a standard where battery packs are interchangeable between makers but the management system doesn't operate if the cell(s) in the pack can't meet spec. Nice tradeoff?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Pretty much any DNA board already does that. It knows how much current it's pulling from the battery in real time and monitors the voltage sag that results. Doing so pretty much eliminates the possibility of failure due to excessive load on the battery.

Of course this does nothing to reduce failures that are due to users mis-handling bare cells outside the mod. A "pack" would go along way toward that, which is why the cordless tool companies use 'em.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Pretty much any DNA board already does that. It knows how much current it's pulling from the battery in real time and monitors the voltage sag that results. Doing so pretty much eliminates the possibility of failure due to excessive load on the battery.

Of course this does nothing to reduce failures that are due to users mis-handling bare cells outside the mod. A "pack" would go along way toward that, which is why the cordless tool companies use 'em.

Packs will NEVER be standardized across manufacturers without a government mandate which I don't see happening anymore than they will mandate packs formats between power tool manufacturers. So I would prefer to keep individual cells with regulation on the mod board. I will be sticking with DNA mods anyway and I know how to handle batteries, so I am fairly protected anyway. As much as I am with my laptop or power drill anyway.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I was reading about batteries and battery packs in general. Apparently, power tools often get used "improperly" although I don't exactly pay attention or search out "battery" incidents in power tools (since I don't use them) as compared to vaping.

I guess nothing is idiot proof. I think the idea is interesting I also kind of think (at least at the moment) most vapers are now accustomed to the cells we are using now, and I'd imagine it won't be a likely soon (well selling) mod that uses a battery pack.

There is also an inherent risk in anything. I remember reading in middle school that mattresses caused a huge number of deaths. I don't think it has so much to do with mattress DESIGN, it's just a fair number of people die in their bed every year.

It didn't make me worry about my mattress. Dying maybe, but not my mattress.

If cells are handled properly, they're reasonably safe. There would be the rub, "Handled properly." A lot of new vapers don't. (and not necessarily by ignorance, it could be ignorance/lack of care by ecig vendors and etc.

I get the "we will not be responsible" card every time I order from IMRbatteries. It didn't make me worry about vaping, it made me thing the vendor was SMART. Avoidance of lawsuits and etc.

Anna

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
so what you want is a standardized battery shell. Doubtful it would happen without government intervention.

I think if the government attempted to require something like that, manufacturers would simply revert to internal battery mods only.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I think if the government attempted to require something like that, manufacturers would simply revert to internal mods only.

That may be he direction the regulations takes us. I sincerely hope not though. We are told to use external chargers for a reason. Mod makers don't always do a good job with their internal charging circuits. Add to that many of the cheaper mod makers would choose the cheapest batteries they can get a deal on each week instead of what is best.

Think about this, the ONLY regulated mods that have exploded (that I know of) have been internal battery mods. This is despite all the "idiots" that don't know a lick about battery safety that are using replaceable battery mods.

Reactions: stols001

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
That may be he direction the regulations takes us. I sincerely hope not though. We are told to use external chargers for a reason. Mod makers don't always do a good job with their internal charging circuits. Add to that many of the cheaper mod makers would choose the cheapest batteries they can get a deal on each week instead of what is best.

Think about this, the ONLY regulated mods that have exploded (that I know of) have been internal battery mods. This is despite all the "idiots" that don't know a lick about battery safety that are using replaceable battery mods.

Actually a few have been mechs with 18650s.
The most recent one I've seen was a mech with a Trustfire 18650 and an RDA.
A Trustfire......go figure.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Actually a few have been mechs with 18650s.
The most recent one I've seen was a mech with a Trustfire 18650 and an RDA.
A Trustfire......go figure.

Think about this, the ONLY regulated mods that have exploded (that I know of) have been internal battery mods.

Yes, I was only talking about regulated mods though. Mechs have no protections so we can't really use them as a measure of relative safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread