The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Diacetyl

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Gregoryo14, Feb 6, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gregoryo14

Gregoryo14 New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Does the brand "Drip Line" (specifically grandmas cake batter flavor) contain diacetyl, my friend just got it, and I am paranoid now, and cannot find out how to know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    1) There has never been a known case of problems caused by diacetyl.
    2) as of sometime last year or earlier the FDA has required all juice manufacturers to submit their juices for testing and one of the things they did was ban diacetyl

So, without even knowing anything about a particular juice manufacturer I can say It doesn’t have any and it wouldn’t hurt you if it did to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Northbound :(
    I don't think that's correct. But of course I'm open to being shown evidence, can you provide a link to back up this assertion please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I am completely unaware of any FDA ruling that bans diacetyl in e-liquids. I do believe the standard is no more than 1% total in the e-liquids.

Now, I am aware of draft guidance from a few years ago that bans it in the EU. However, I don't know if it made it into the final rules or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I had several long discussions about it at the local vape store about how annoying a process it was. Not only did they claim they had to make an application for each flavor, but for each nicotine level of that flavor, which cost thousands of dollars. I suppose it’s not impossible I was misinformed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    After looking on google, I believe the makers of drip line have a customer support page here: Customer Support

I can't find any reference to what is or isn't in their products, so contacting them directly may be the best bet to get an answer. Based on my experience, if a liquid maker can't or won't answer, they aren't avoiding these components in their liquid.

Although there is no definitive answer about diacetyl and related liquid components, it is certainly fine to avoid them if it concerns you. One should only inhale what they are comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    I don't know about that. Just the discussion of Diacetyl causes high blood pressure, a flush face and a fever pitch. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    This is correct. What was being questioned was the FDA ban on Diacetyl. To my knowledge, that is incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Maytwin

Maytwin Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    SW France
    Yes, diacetyl is banned in the EU (along I believe, with several other ingredients)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd agree that contacting the manufacturer is your best bet. If you don't want to vape dactyl, that is certainly your prerogative. I avoid it myself when I can, to the best of my ability. I do think if I "missed" a flavor or two, well at least I'm limiting it. It seems sensible to me to avoid it when able, but sometimes it can be hard to tell.

I do know some flavors make me hoarse, including vanillas. I don't know if the storebought vanillas I got had dactyl, but I avoid it for the most part in DIY.

Anna

11. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Northbound :(
    The problem with that approach is that some manufacturers were caught lying when asked questions like that in years gone by.

Also, asking about diacetyl is the wrong question. When the community became aware of the potential dangers associated with this flavoring component some years ago, lots of manufacturers did pull it, and replaced it with acetyl propionyl, which has a very similar flavor profile. Unfortunately, acetyl propionyl also has very similar effects on lung tissue in animal studies. This means a vendor could truthfully answer, "Nope, no diacetyl in our liquids" while selling you something that has essentially the same risks.

If someone is worried about this -- and I'm not saying anyone should or should not be -- IMO, the right question to ask is whether the vendor has had their liquids tested for diketones, which covers both. If they claim they have had them tested, then ask 'em to see the results.

Personally, I no longer worry about this stuff because I use almost negligible amounts of flavorings, and I was never a fan of the flavor profiles that are likely to have high levels of the bad stuff to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    The local vape shop that I use here in NC stated the exact same thing you are referring to. For each flavor created a sheet has to be filled out and it has to be broken down to state: what percentage of VG/PG and flavors as well as how many mg of nic. A sheet has to be completed for each flavor and for 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24 and 36mg nic as well as for the different ratios of VG/PG combinations.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. untar

untar Super Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    As you probably all know Farsalinos regards diacetyl as an avoidable risk
    A new study finds diacetyl in e-cigarettes but exaggerates risks and fails to discuss about smoking
    but at the same time puts it into perspective, saying cigarette smoke contained 10 to 100 times the amount they measured in e liquids (3ml).

Yes, diacetyl is prohibited in the EU, and here is how you could make use of that:
    to sell liquids in the EU emission tests of the vapor and toxicological data on ingredients have to be submitted along the ingredients list, this means it is considerably harder for the manufacturer to lie about it, they'd have to get a lab to fake the report and risk its reputation.
    So, if you're looking for e liquids that don't contain diacetyl then those US liquids that are sold in the EU are the ones you can be pretty sure of. Of course they could have different recipes for the different markets but somehow I doubt that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fidola13

Fidola13 Super Member Verified Member

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    When buying flavors from Nicotine River each flavor contains the info if they have or don’t have diacetyl in them. I find it very helpful in choosing which flavors I may want to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1