Diactyl scare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
Posted in Medxpress. diactyl found in a bunch of samples along with acrolyn and the rest..... Again with the smoking machine
Each e-cigarette was inserted into a sealed chamber attached to a lab-built device that drew air through the e-cigarette for eight seconds at a time with a resting period of 15 or 30 second between each draw. The air stream was then analyzed.
I don't know any vapers who draw on their rigs for 8 seconds and then repeat that quickly....
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-12-chemicals-e-cigarette-flavors-linked-respiratory.html

Reactions: LaraC

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I guess you did not know me then. I often draw for 8-10 sec. And will redraw within 30 seconds.
Not sure what that has to do with diactyl though. It is either there or not.

My hits are a bit shorter than that... 5-6 seconds or so... but yeah I often take 2 back-to-back. I smoked that way too -- ultralights kinda required it. :D

Andria

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
My hits are a bit shorter than that... 5-6 seconds or so... but yeah I often take 2 back-to-back. I smoked that way too -- ultralights kinda required it. :D

Andria

A friend used to put tape over the little air holes on the side of the filter ;-)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
A friend used to put tape over the little air holes on the side of the filter ;-)

I did that when I first switched to ultralights, but I got used to them. The best fix though, was after some dental work -- I cut the filters in half, so I didn't have to draw so hard. :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I saw that on my local news this morning. Though they didn't say what exactly they found in the vapor. just "chemicals".

I laughed.

They're probably the same people who'd vote to ban dihydrogen monoxide. ;)

Andria

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I saw that on my local news this morning. Though they didn't say what exactly they found in the vapor. just "chemicals".

I laughed.

I bet it contains dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff can kill you! Causes excessive urination, sweating if consumed... Not to mention it has been found in alarming quantities in tap water, and bottled water alike from all towns/brands. There are even several verified reports that it is found in natural water sources too, and the fish we eat have been heavily exposed to it. They also feed this chemical to all livestock on farms, as well as the vegetable crops.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
300px-Danger_sign_hydrogen.jpg

Reactions: EBates

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Geez, I opened this thread thinking maybe we'd be seeing our first case of lung damage from vaping diactyl, ya know a real scare? The title is a bit dramatic, it should read something more like "diactyl detected in testing" or something to that affect.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Geez, I opened this thread thinking maybe we'd be seeing our first case of lung damage from vaping diactyl, ya know a real scare? The title is a bit dramatic, it should read something more like "diactyl detected in testing" or something to that affect.

It's the hysteria tone. That tone the GMO nuts use, as well as the environmental movements (see: anti-corporate hand-out-hippies). Titles get a lot more attention that way if you can make a Hallmark saying that makes people believe OMG WE ARR ALL GONN DIE TOMORO UNLEWSS CHANGEZ!!!!

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I bet it contains dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff can kill you! Causes excessive urination, sweating if consumed... Not to mention it has been found in alarming quantities in tap water, and bottled water alike from all towns/brands. There are even several verified reports that it is found in natural water sources too, and the fish we eat have been heavily exposed to it. They also feed this chemical to all livestock on farms, as well as the vegetable crops.

Yet the government continues to pump it into our homes at alarming rates :facepalm:

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
Scary stuff.
It is meant to be scary... whether totally accurate or not. If you look at the site a bit, you will see several scary articles about e cigs. Didn't cruise there but for about 5 minutes but never found any of the benefits of ecigs.

I don't do lung hits at all and my puffs are generally under 2 seconds and then another in perhaps 10 seconds or less... a little choo choo train as I will do this for a couple minutes or until my drip tip gets too hot. More like a person with a pipe. In mouth and out of mouth. Even with this, I try to avoid the acetoins and diacetyls. I have said since I started vaping that today's vapers are the lab rats for future generations and I am fine with that.

I have seen vaping make a positive difference in the lives of quite a few and figure that there is less harm from vaping than most of the prescription meds they push as nauseum on tv but vape studies and being on the side of big pharma will get them grants to waste time and taxpayer's money.

5bucks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
USA
It is meant to be scary... whether totally accurate or not. If you look at the site a bit, you will see several scary articles about e cigs.
I didn't look at the site that OP posted. I came across it somewhere else and went straight to the study.

I came here to post about it but saw someone had already posted.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I guess you did not know me then. I often draw for 8-10 sec. And will redraw within 30 seconds.
Not sure what that has to do with diactyl though. It is either there or not.

Same here, I often draw for 8-10 seconds and redraw within 30 seconds as do probably most of non-subohm low V/W vapers. Did we really think they were going to leave this issue of diacetyl, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione alone? E-cigs are the new hot "health" issue and there is grant money to be had which every college and researcher is vying for along with being published and seeing your name in print.

This is not a new "scare" Harvard is behind the times as studies like this were done years ago by Dr. Farsalinos (and several other researchers) with the same/similar results. The scary thing to me is with as much advancement vaping has seen in the past several years the issue of what is in our eliquids and disclosing that to consumers so they can make an informed choice has been greatly ignored by the industry as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread