diagnosed w/ COPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ancientgeek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
San Antonio, TX
My wife has COPD and was a 40+ year PAD smoker up until we both quit cigarettes in favor of vaping 7 months ago. She had been using three different inhalers daily and now uses just one a couple of times a week. She has a lot more energy and can climb stairs at will now. vaping has made a tremendous difference for her. As for me... my smoker's cough is gone and my lung capacity is greatly increased. You are doing a very good thing here. My hat's off to you.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
The ex wife.

We have been divorced for 20 yrs and remain to this day great friends. :toast:

Our oldest son text'd me this am that she was, as the title states, diagnosed w/ COPD.
She turns 57 this month and has been cig smoking I would guess would be going on at least 20 + years.
Dont know how many packs a day.

So,
I ordered her a Kanger EVOD starter kit from Desert Vapes today since they are local and hopefully will get it tomorrow.
She dosent know I know and that I have ordered this for her. I was at her house a few days ago and was showing it to her and she seemed very interested.
She's a RN by the way...

Any thoughts from others who might have experience in COPD and using a eciggy? Has it helped? etc, etc....

I have COPD. I was coughing up a lung every morning until I started vaping again. It stopped less then 3 days after i started back vaping. About a month this time so far (and NOT GOING BACK) and feel MUCH better.

Vape On
:vapor:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Do you know why the doctor suggested higher PG juices?

Yes actually as I went to her Dr with her to the appointment where it was discussed (I was the vapeing "expert" LOL but I did have studies and reports to give him) The Dr was concerned that a juice containing high VG may cause fluid to build in her lungs because they were compromised, but felt PG would assist in warding off infections. It seems he did look into the effects and felt comfortable as PG was used in inhalers and pumped into the air systems of the hospital where he worked for over 8 years.

So we went with his suggestion and she vapes 80/20 or 70/30 juices

I think the Dr is correct. All VG or high VG e-liquid gives me a much heavier feel in the lungs. I've read others have noticed the same thing.

nampla

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
prachinburi, thailand/phx,az
Dropped it off for her this evening. She was surprised & pleased.
Gave her the informal block of instructions on use & care.
Directed her to this forum and bookmarked it on her 'puter.
Took several of my tanks filled w/ different joose so she could try so different flavs... she picked my fav, RY4.
Left her with a brandy new full bottle of it.

She insisted to pay me for it, to which I promply refused, but told her she could pay me back by using it.
She said she would.

( she had contacted ASH yesterday, a quit smoking hotline here in Arizona. She mentioned an e-cig and they told her not to use one...they are sending her some patches and gum. She asked if I had tried the patch and or gum...I told her yes, and was smoking ciggys while chewing the gum and had a patch on. SO much for that method....)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Dropped it off for her this evening. She was surprised & pleased.
Gave her the informal block of instructions on use & care.
Directed her to this forum and bookmarked it on her 'puter.
Took several of my tanks filled w/ different joose so she could try so different flavs... she picked my fav, RY4.
Left her with a brandy new full bottle of it.

She insisted to pay me for it, to which I promply refused, but told her she could pay me back by using it.
She said she would.

( she had contacted ASH yesterday, a quit smoking hotline here in Arizona. She mentioned an e-cig and they told her not to use one...they are sending her some patches and gum. She asked if I had tried the patch and or gum...I told her yes, and was smoking ciggys while chewing the gum and had a patch on. SO much for that method....)

sigh. shaking head. Because they only want it to work if it's THEIR way,,,,,right??? GAAH!

and you are so sweet to do all that for her :) I don't know you,,,,,,,but HUGS!

nampla

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
sigh. shaking head. Because they only want it to work if it's THEIR way,,,,,right??? GAAH!

and you are so sweet to do all that for her :) I don't know you,,,,,,,but HUGS!

I believe that to be true..."if you don't use our method" thangy.
I also think they were telling her things of whats in the juice, because she was asking allot of questions 'bout that... scare tactics.
Thx for the hug. I needed one.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Sympathies to nampla on his ex, grats on his pay-it-forward, hope she can persevere and improve.
As a smoker for 55yr I was also hovering on the approaches to COPD but after only 2wks vaping my Dr cut my bronchodilator/decongestant dose down from 2 to 1/day and was in favour of vaping.
ASH was mentioned and I have noticed before the apparent differences between ASH-US and ASH-UK.
When I was smoking I considered ASH-UK as a vehement if not virulent anti-smoking organisation but they appear to have taken a more realistic approach to E-cigs, although they seem only to have considered cig-alikes.
attached a link to a pdf from them where they seem to me to be talking common-sense.
DaveD

http://ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf

Maggie3199

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Ohio
I have asthma and was using an inhaler before vaping. I felt like that inhaler just wasn't "getting into" my lungs. I'm a former menthol smoker and using menthol vape flavors satisfies that lung thing! If she could stand menthol flavors, you might try and get her to try that as she can "feel" that in her throat and lungs. I don't use my inhaler anymore, I just vape more menthol!!

nampla

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Sympathies to nampla on his ex, grats on his pay-it-forward, hope she can persevere and improve.
As a smoker for 55yr I was also hovering on the approaches to COPD but after only 2wks vaping my Dr cut my bronchodilator/decongestant dose down from 2 to 1/day and was in favour of vaping.
ASH was mentioned and I have noticed before the apparent differences between ASH-US and ASH-UK.
When I was smoking I considered ASH-UK as a vehement if not virulent anti-smoking organisation but they appear to have taken a more realistic approach to E-cigs, although they seem only to have considered cig-alikes.
attached a link to a pdf from them where they seem to me to be talking common-sense.
DaveD

http://ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf

Printed this out for her.
( she is from Chester in the UK )
Thx

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Called her yesterday to check up and see if she had any questions that I wouldn't be able to answer.
"Are you using your e-cig?"
her response...

"All day!"

:)

Woo Hoo!!! Good for her. Although I'm sure that vaping is no cure for COPD, I'll bet she will be breathing better within a week as long as she stays off the analogs. And after time goes by, she will be breathing better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread