Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I got a free carto tank with a purchase I made (bought some CE4's) soon after I started vaping. The local guy that gave it to me said he "thought he could convert me" to tanks. My buddy who turned me onto vaping swears by them. I tried the CE4's, and I tried the tank with the same juice. I vaped about 2ml from each, to make sure I got them both broken in well. I emptied the tank and it's been sitting in a drawer since. I'm now using clearos (with a dripping atty and a few RBA's now and then) pretty much exclusively. I've barely even given a thought to breaking out the tank.

The clearos seem to give me better flavor. They are easier to fill. They're smaller, and the tips won't get knocked off in my pocket. They just seem... better, in every way.

But with so many people swearing by carto tanks... I wonder, is there something I'm missing? Did I not give it enough of a chance?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's possible. There is definitely a slight learning curve with cartotanks. They aren't as plug-and-play as a clearomizer, but once you get the methodology down with cartotanks, I think they are far superior to any string-wicked device for flavor and consistancy. I stopped using clearomizers months ago, and have given my Vivi Nova tanks away to beginner vapors as I use cartotanks exclusively.

I've collected a lot of information on cartomizers and cartotanks in my blog. You can find this information by clicking on the link under my avatar. You might want to review them since you seem to have some doubts about giving up on cartotanks.

Then again, if you are enjoying your clearomizers, don't sweat it and enjoy what's working for you.

-- Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
More plug-and-play only as far as ease of filling to a beginning vapor. Just remove the mouthpiece, fill with juice w/o getting juice into the center hole, replace the mouthpiece, ensure the string wicks are wet, then vape away. Occasional tilting of the clearomizer ensures the wicks stay wet to prevent dry hits.

A cartotank needs to have the pre-punched cartomizer to be properly "primed" with juice, then inserted into an already assembled tank, and then the tank filled with juice. Total preparation of a fresh cartotank takes me 5 minutes to perform, and refills 1 minute. But once setup, the tank can be vaped all day on one tankfull. It doesn't need to be tilted to ensure that it continues to work properly. And because the surface area of the filler surrounding the heating element is greater than what 2-4 string wicks can provide, it can provide more flavor in the vapor. The tank's continuous supply of juice to the cartomizer keeps the heating coil functioning longer as it doesn't dry out.

If you read the articles and view the included videos in my blog, you will see how all of this is logical.

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
Just to give some balance to this discussion.. First, I think Baditude deserves huge kuddos for all the help he has given many here with his blogs and information on carto-tanks, myself included.. but know this.. while I have, use and still enjoy a good carto in a tank, you would be far from the only vapor to feel they get a superior vaping experience from clearos.... The thing about tanks to remember is that while the tank is the most visual and appealing part, its really all about the carto and that (at least in my experience) is much more of a crap-shoot. A great or consistent carto experience can be elusive at times.. get a great batch of cartos..life is good.. get three or four mediocre or poor cartos and your experience will leave much to be desired. Throat hit, flavor intensity.. I agree that it is hard for a clearo type device to match a GOOD carto due to the design.. however, consistency, ease of use and "cleanness" of flavor..you may find (like I do) that VVNs, Kangers and other of these types of delivery systems serve you just as well if not better

Remember..regardless of what it looks like on this forum,, there are many, many experienced vapors who are very satisfied with delivery systems other than Cartos/tanks or RBAs, or low ohm devices on Mech mods... vaping is an intensely personal endeavor..whatever works for you works..everything is different..not better,, I've got Provaris, Vamos, eVics, Telescope Mech mods,high end carto tanks and RBAs and I can say with 100 percent confidence that while different, there still isn't a necessarily "better" vape (when working) than a simple clearo on an ego twist.

Just trying to balance things out a little.. no conflict intended:)

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
Sound, thanks for the reply. And yes, Bad has been extremely thoughtful in his replies, which is a rare thing on internet forums (I'm a member of many... too many to remember!). I thank you both!

Now, seeing as cartos are cheap, I'd be more than willing to buy a half dozen and see if I don't change my mind.

What's a really GOOD carto? Manufacturer and seller? I'm thinking single coil, standard resistance, pre-punched, just to see if they can win me over :)

Jarski44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Houston, TX
Sure Vapes has the best multi pack price on Boge cartos that I have found.
Ikenvape cartos are pretty darn good, but just under 2X the cost of the Boges from Sure Vapes (when they are in stock).
I haven't tried Smoke cartos yet, have some on order from Sure Vapes.

From a personal view, I have given up on clearomizers. Just can't get a consistent vape. I have 5 Vivi Novas and 2 mini VVNs (still use the minis when I need something pocket friendly) and just could not a consistent experience. Coupled with the really gradual leaking on the full sized ones and I just gave up.

While a carto tank is dependent on the carto, I have never received a bad batch, so can't speak to that. Cartos do suffer from a gradual deterioration in performance over time. How much juice you can get through one depends on so many factors that I won't even provide a range.

Frankly though, if clearos are working for you, that's all that matters.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
i think cartos are pretty good once you learn some tricks,a lot depends on your vaping habits like if you draw hard you will probably do better with a single punched carto otherwise you will probably flood it alot,if you have a soft draw a double punched is probably best so your not getting dry hits.
another trick if they are not filling good is to use a toothpick or needle and poke at the fill hole a little and loosen up the filler in there a tiny bit it helps it wick alot.
if you are getting a gurgle(flooded carto) take the tank off and flip it upside down and blow it into a paper towel if you do this with the 510 down it will just eventually drain your tank into the paper towel.

i dont really have anything against any atty i think they all have there pro's and cons its just a matter of finding what works best for you with your device and current needs.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just to give some balance to this discussion.. First, I think Baditude deserves huge kuddos for all the help he has given many here with his blogs and information on carto-tanks, myself included..

Remember..regardless of what it looks like on this forum,, there are many, many experienced vapors who are very satisfied with delivery systems other than Cartos/tanks or RBAs, or low ohm devices on Mech mods... vaping is an intensely personal endeavor..whatever works for you works..everything is different..not better,, I've got Provaris, Vamos, eVics, Telescope Mech mods,high end carto tanks and RBAs and I can say with 100 percent confidence that while different, there still isn't a necessarily "better" vape (when working) than a simple clearo on an ego twist.

Just trying to balance things out a little.. no conflict intended:)
No conflict experienced here. As I pointed out in post #2 above, if the OP is enjoying his clearomizers, don't sweat it and enjoy what's working. I only share what my experiences have been, and that is all anyone can share. The great thing about vaping is there are options available. No one delivery device is going to be "the best" for everyone. We all have our preferences.

By the way guys, thanks for the recognition for my hard work. This has become a passion for me and I enjoy giving back to the community that I learned from. I do try to be unbiased in my comments, but like anyone else my personal favorites do tend to cloud my judgement at times, and I need to always keep in mind that what works for me may not work for others. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread