Did you ever had a problem vaping in a movie theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Actually no. I dont think, I know the person is doing something he's not supposed to be doing if I see them vaping in the theater. The fact that you need to be stealthy about it shows that you kinda know it too. ;-)

Untrue. People who stealth vape in the threater don't do it because they know it's bad. They do it because they don't want to be disruptive & that's exactly the attitude they should have in a theater. Everyone should have that attitude in a theater. Unfortunately everyone does not & I have yet to go to a movie this year where there was not some thoughtless twit texting or reading emails or whatever during the movie. Now THAT is some irritating ish.

msgnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
United States
And if the owner of the establishment said you could vape all those stealth vapers would more then likely magically stop being so stealthy and vape normally because they now know they are allowed to. Funny how that works.

"I stealth vape so as to not be disruptive, yet I only stealth vape in places where cigs are banned and I know i really shouldnt to be vaping to begin with..." ;-) Allriiight.. Lol
In the end, The topic is a never ending argument that can't really be won and minds won't be changed regardless of what anyone says. Like religion and politics. :p

As for the cellphones in theaters. Yeah that irks me as well.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I don't understand

Some do. Don't feel bad, though.

EDIT: I think what a lot of you are misunderstanding is that some of us don't NEED the nicotine. We're not "freaking out man". We do what we do. I sincerely hate to bring time and experience into this, but we've been doing this just a slightly bit longer than some of you have, and we've been there and done that with all the arguments you're bringing up. If you thought it, someone else did, too, and it's been repeated ad nauseum here. I'm glad all of you have taken a stand.

Last edited:

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
if you can't sit through a movie(even a long movie) without having to vape you don't don't need a new device or vaping technique you need professional help. waaaaaaa, i want my nicotine now... wait until the movie comes out in dvd and watch it at home. like i said, you have problems more deeply rooted than simple nicotine addiction.....

I used to come here a lot to read and post, but I started seeing more and more posts like this one outnumbering the friendly, supportive posts that used to fill the forum. Makes me long for the days of fewer members with better manners.

I mean the people who claim it is rude to vape in theaters because strangers might be offended have no problem being rude to their fellow ECF members in their posts. "Don't vape in theaters! It's rude, ya psychotic baby!" You have to enjoy the irony.

It must be nice to be so perpetually certain of the right action and answer in all circumstances. As for me, I usually see both sides of an argument. It's exhausting to see that keeping our heads down might keep the regulation junkies from coming after us and to also see that the only way to make vaping more accepted and mainstream is to do it proudly and openly. It would be so much more relaxing to always know what's right for everyone and never have to bother considering another point of view or opinion. Sigh. Maybe someday.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't understand how some people can't go a few hours without nicotine. Before e-cigarettes were invented would you leave in the middle of a movie at a theater for a smoke break or leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant to smoke?

Unfortunately, YES I WOULD! And did so often. :blush:

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Did you ever have a problem vaping in a movie theater?

No, I haven't.

But I have had problems discussing vaping in a movie theater among fellow vapers.
Fellow vapers thought of me as rude and heavily addicted for doing the same thing in that theater that they were doing while reading this sentence.

And I do take full responsibility for vaping in that theater and no one noticing, but it leading to a usage ban in all of NYC. That was me that caused that. It's quite a story really. I hear they're making a movie about it. You should definitely see it.

CrazyDamon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Toledo, OH USA
I don't understand how some people can't go a few hours without nicotine. Before e-cigarettes were invented would you leave in the middle of a movie at a theater for a smoke break or leave in the middle of a meal at a restaurant to smoke?

Yes. Yes, I would.

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
For me it's not that I HAVE to vape. I enjoy the flavor and I want to. Some people like candy and popcorn while they're relaxing and watching a movie, I like vaping.

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
For me it's not that I HAVE to vape. I enjoy the flavor and I want to. Some people like candy and popcorn while they're relaxing and watching a movie, I like vaping.

This exactly. I find it slight odd that a fellow vaper, who is interested enough to join and participate on ECF could be so condescending.

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
I've never been inclined to try vaping in a movie theatre because, in addition to vaping, I also use Swedish snus. Snus is spitless and completely discrete and has made moviegoing a much more enjoyable experience for me than in the past. (Yes, snus is actually tobacco. But, no, smokeless tobacco doesn't carry the same level of health risk as smoked tobacco, and there's at least some scientific evidence that snus is safer even than other forms of smokeless tobacco.)

Considering that even back in the days before widespread smoking bans theatres were one place you still couldn't smoke, it's not that much of a stretch to avoid vaping in one. (Don't get me wrong--I think it would be sort of awesome if vaping did become accepted at the movies. But I can see some legitimate reasons for that not to happen, e.g., vapor clouds blocking the screen that people are paying to watch or leading people to believe that there is a fire in the theatre.)

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
(Don't get me wrong--I think it would be sort of awesome if vaping did become accepted at the movies. But I can see some legitimate reasons for that not to happen, e.g., vapor clouds blocking the screen that people are paying to watch or leading people to believe that there is a fire in the theatre.)

I can see legitimate counter propositions to your thoughts on why to disallow it, such as:
- vaping in back rows only and/or vaping in a balcony area
- limiting amount of vapers, explaining that if this is somehow surpassed, x amount of vapers will be invited to leave
- having multiplexes that allow one theater to be vaping optional while another theater is vaping restricted
- educating all patrons on ideas that with our high tech ventilation and nature of second-hand vapor, there is little reason to be concerned with smell, health effects and view being obscurred

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
And if the owner of the establishment said you could vape all those stealth vapers would more then likely magically stop being so stealthy and vape normally because they now know they are allowed to. Funny how that works.

"I stealth vape so as to not be disruptive, yet I only stealth vape in places where cigs are banned and I know i really shouldnt to be vaping to begin with..." ;-) Allriiight.. Lol
In the end, The topic is a never ending argument that can't really be won and minds won't be changed regardless of what anyone says. Like religion and politics. :p

As for the cellphones in theaters. Yeah that irks me as well.

I don't think I WOULD vape normally in a theater even if there were signs saying vaping is fine here. It's just rude to fill a room with clouds that obscure the screen when everyone in that room paid the same good money to see the movie that I did. In fact, I don't blow big clouds when sitting next to my husband in our living room either. Why would I when he's trying to do something. That's kinda rude so why would I do it?

As for vaping where it's been banned, I haven't tried to vape in any place where I KNOW it's been banned. But then I haven't been to any places where it's officially been banned, OR I haven't noticed the ban if it is there. The Starbucks near my house still has a smoking area outside the store so that's not a problem. I'd never vape inside that store cuz it's too small a room for that kind of business. And the movie theaters I have gone to don't have any signs that say no ecigarettes. That's not to say I think they're perfectly fine with people blowing big vapor clouds. I'm sure they're not since I'm not ok with that. I really just think that a business is as uptight about vaping as their customers & the area I live in is pretty casual where vaping is concerned. Hopefully that won't change anytime soon.

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
I can see legitimate counter propositions to your thoughts on why to disallow it, such as:
- vaping in back rows only and/or vaping in a balcony area
- limiting amount of vapers, explaining that if this is somehow surpassed, x amount of vapers will be invited to leave
- having multiplexes that allow one theater to be vaping optional while another theater is vaping restricted
- educating all patrons on ideas that with our high tech ventilation and nature of second-hand vapor, there is little reason to be concerned with smell, health effects and view being obscurred

Good ideas. But I wouldn't hold my breath/vapor waiting for theatres to make such accommodations. When you think about it, they would be bending over backwards just to make things more pleasant for a very small minority of their customers. My guess is they'd rather sell us more popcorn than go out of their way to let us vape. Maybe there's hope for this in some future where vaping is much more common. But, again, it's not like there was even a history of letting people smoke in theatres back when "everybody" smoked.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Good ideas. But I wouldn't hold my breath/vapor waiting for theatres to make such accommodations. When you think about it, they would be bending over backwards just to make things more pleasant for a very small minority of their customers. My guess is they'd rather sell us more popcorn than go out of their way to let us vape. Maybe there's hope for this in some future where vaping is much more common. But, again, it's not like there was even a history of letting people smoke in theatres back when "everybody" smoked.

True, but there is a history of when people ingested or did things in a theater and it distracted others from viewing enjoyment.

IMO, there are a good 5 to 10 reasons to not watch any film on the big screen. And I absolutely love movies. I used to love going to see movies on the big screen and have admiration for what it was like before I was born. But from moment I was actively going to see movies to about 5 or so years ago, that list of reasons not to go went from 1 to 3 items to at least 5. I honestly think I could brainstorm 10 reasons for why to not go to a movie theater to watch a film. Now, I will go, but it has to be a film that is made especially for big screen enjoyment. Something like say "Tootsie" would be one that I'd love to see in a theater, but not in the modern day set up with all the arbitrary rules and customs in place.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
And for the record. When your on someone else's property then, yes they kindda do have that right to determine what they allow you to do or not do. Their property/land/business their rules. Its not ME as you say. Its the theater. If you want to ask the theater manager/owner if you can vape in there be my guest. You really think they are gonna say Ohh suure no problem.? If they do say OK. Then sh**. Let me know where this place is. Lol

If the theater tells me I can't vape, then I won't vape. I may not go back, but I won't vape if they say I can't. They can put a sign on the door. I've been a whole bunch of places with a "no smoking" sign, and I didn't smoke in those places.

But so far, this isn't the theater telling me not to vape, it's you, some guy online who thinks he has the right to tell me how to live.

I'm old enough to remember when smoking in movies was common. When they started making rules against that, I quit going to movies as often, and yes, sometimes I did go to a movie and leave in themiddle for a smoke break. When restaurants started going to "no smoking", I tended to go out to eat in locations where I could smoke in the restaurant. Not because I wanted one during my meal, but I have *always* smoked after meals (until I started vaping, in which case vaping after meals.) Only after the law made all restaurants in this area go non-smoking did I start going to non-smoking restaurants on a regular basis.

I vape in restaurants several times a week. Nobody has complained. I'm not eating at places with playgrounds, and I tend to go in the middle of the afternoon. Most restaurants are now very crowded at 2:30 or 3:00 PM. When I sit down, I try not to be right next to anyone (but that doesn't mean nobody else will come in and sit right next to me, either.) No restaurants have complained about it. Both employees and customers ask me about it from time to time, but no complaints. Mostly smokers asking "Does that really work" and "how much are they" and such.

Before one of you start screaming about "YOU NICOTINE ADDICTS!" I'd like to point out that I'm vaping without nic. The habit is still there, even without the nic. I'm sure I could break that habit, but I can't see any good reason to do it, as it isn't hurting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread