Different wire types...reasons to choose a particular wire material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
There is a number for heat capacity on Steamengine. The lower it is, the faster the coil heats up. Its all in the unit...mJ/K. J is Watt/second. So its telling how many Watts you need to heat the coil one degree.
You can type in any build and just change the material to easily compare them.

Its Physics. Its proven. It works. Nevermind the fact that I heard pretty much every random order on what heats faster on various vaping forums from various people. But opinions dont mean anything when it comes to science.
I don't understand rampup/heatup.

I can see that a higher mass, should take more energy to heat, but 'heat capacity' doesn't seem useful. (BTW watt = J/second; but who's counting;))

Heat capacity is for a DRY wire.
BUT the energy is going into heating the coil and the liquid load, Whats the heat capacity of this?
Been a while since I calculated it, but the majority of the energy isn't going into heating the wire.

Sorry.

But if you are doing Builds to get a Similar Hit, NiChrome 80 Heats Up/Down Faster than Kanthal(s). And SS heats up Faster than NiChrome 80.

Guess if I just looked at the Heat Capacity Numbers, I could agree with you. But that wouldn't take into account the Differences in the Heat Flux. Or that the Hits you would get would be Dissimilar.

What does one need to aim for to get builds that have similar hits?

I've actually put the same size coil in my rda of all 3 main materials and they vaped identical. The only difference is SS does tend to pop more at first due to something about the surface, but this goes away quickly, and the advantages offset it.

Technically, Nichrome has the greatest density and heats the slowest when all critical parameters are equal. That is, the coil is the same dimensions and is fed the same power. Kanthal is the lightest and therefore the fastest. .

Was this test with the same power applied?
Was the difference in the coil masses noticeable at all?

Reactions: stols001

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
You still have to heat the wire to working temperature, thats where heat capacity comes into play.
The differences between the common materials we're using isnt all that big. I just oppose the saying that SS heats up faster then Kanthal and thats how you look it up. The liquid isnt part of that particular issue.

• Agree

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I just wonder whether heat capacity is that significant.
Sure the specific heat of SS is ~9% greater than kanthal, but coil for coil the SS coil is also ~13% heavier.

It does tell us how much energy is absorbed by/ lost to the wire, which I guess is what @mimöschen referred to as efficiency, but not how quickly that energy is absorbed or released.

A 5s puff @ 40W supplies 200 Joule, the TC people tell us that working temp is ~400F, at this temperature a coil would have absorbed something in the order of 3J. So if for a kanthal coil only 98.5% of the supplied energy goes to produce vapour, compared to SS with 98.3%.

I would have thought all the other factors I have ignored would be more significant than this.

EDIT: Sorry I got bogged down in details.
There is a question in there somewhere, I just haven't got my head around this enough to know what it is :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread