Dishonest, paid reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Hi everyone and first of all sorry for my english. One thing really bother me and i like to know if anyone else feel the same.

Its about getting truthfull information from reviews on various sites and youtube. It is very obvious that the companys who make these vaping devices also bribe and buy positive "reviews" so when you search information about products the paid reviews come up first. Like eleaf recruit people even on their website. They dont send products regulalry for people who make accurate and truthfull reviews and point out whats bad about their half assed vaping devices. Of course they are cunning and mention some flaws that really dont matter. For an example coil value numbers written too small on coil so its hard for old/poor sight people to read it, but everything else is superb when in reality the whole product sucks and is mediocore at best.

Like pretty popular youtuber "mikevapes" "review" all eleaf products and of course loves em all. Even the ello duro tank which i got and it sucks hard. He vape 100% vg draw once with max soaked coil and everything is so awesome and top quality. In reality the tank is so airy it dont make any flavors, vapor production is poor, top filling hat is so loose it will certainly open in your pocket or bag and leak all over. Even the fill hole is crap, make annoying af airlocks even if you try to squeese all the air out of ejuice bottle. The few coils you can choose are all ...., burn out super easy and overall perform really badly. But ofc mikevapes love the tank becouse eleaf give him free crap or may even pay.

I searched info about aspire revvo tank, one review praise how the coils last so long and its a plus and other review say the coils ruin within a day.

There are no standards like melo tank(which i also have) get same 97 score than tfv12p(yep have it aswell) in same site and in reality there is a night and day difference.

Some manuafactors pay the reviewer to write badly about their competition, like vapebeat uwell valyrian review mention tfv12p more often in negatively way than what he write about the tank he is supposed to review. If tfv12p is so bad why using the whole review talking about it? I have both of those tanks and i have come in conclusion that the tfv12p is better, but both are awesome and my opinion might fall in user preference margin. Its just like 15 quality coil choices vs 1 coil choice with gimmick pin system and one tfv12p coil(the triple mesh) beat valyrian at its own game plus have rba support but the reviewer make it out like other is crap and other is godsent subohm tank equivelant to perfectly build rda.

And the youtubers are worst. They can make even the cheapest joytech crap to seem the best thing ever. Like the guy on ....... vaping only 100vg for vapor and bashing how great the "coiless" system is. Even cubis pro is A+product in youtube

Im building a bit of collection becouse i like to shop from aliexpress becouse of super low prices and it has become very clear many review channels and sites are only for marketing and they bribe youtubers and such. I love vaping devices they are pretty cheap even for poor ....... like me and exiting, got rid of bad 10 years of smoking habbit.

I just think vaping community need truthfull channels and sites of information, forums are too scattered and lack detailed reviews.

Do you know any, and do you think most reviews are just marketing channels of the manufactors? I think ecigclick is the most decent but still often far from professional and consistent information. I also understand vaping is also pretty much about personal preferences, but still.

Thank you and happy holidays, wish you all nice vaping presents and peace :) god bless

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Since YT demonetized vaping videos, we lost a lot of reviewers.
    Use them to see the products, form your own opinion about what might or may not work for you.
    Since you are building a collection, maybe you could start a YT review channel.
    I'm thankful there still are reviewers.
    With the thousands of products available, it could get expensive buying products blindly, only having a product description on a website to make your decision.
    Of course follow the forums, and see what people are saying.
    Happy Holidays to you also...:thumb:

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    keeping in mind what works for one person may not work for another
    when someone keeps saying it's a great product...but not giving any detail, that's not a good review

as you said you found a tank to be too airy for you, but the reviewer it may have been perfect for them

try to watch at least 3 different reviews of a product before you buy it and as always you are more than welcomed to ask here in the forums before buying anything for people's thoughts

just because someone reviews a product, doesn't mean that they are bribed to do so...they may genuinely find the product good for their needs....that doesn't mean it's good for your needs

and coils will gunk up faster depending on the juice that you use...

if you are looking for some respectable reviewers then I'd highly suggest phil busardo (can i taste your juice) and mark todd (todd's reviews)
    another one I've been enjoying lately is vaping with vic

look for reviewers that go more into technical details over those that just say it's good, look at my clouds....

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Getting truthful information period in this day and age is difficult. The combination of the destruction of journalistic standards by Murdoch, and the internet’s ability to give everyone with an axe to grind a soap box has created such gigantic rafts of falsehood that finding out what is true takes immense amounts of time and effort.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Today's YouTubers have just become glorified modern versions of the old fashioned Home Shopping Channel. I hardly trust any of the popular vaping YouTubers.
    That problem imho comes from the removal of advertising regulations in the Bush administration. It used to be advertisers weren’t allowed to actually lie, and any paid promotion had to be labeled as such. Now there are “influencers” and “viral marketing” which are basically all about lying to the the public about when something is actually an advertisement.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Like pretty popular youtuber "mikevapes" "review" all eleaf products and of course loves em all.
    You make some pretty important points, thanks for your observations.
    Could fill in your location - Finland , it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s).
    On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
    Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
    In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
    re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
    The tendency to throw a review out a day or so after getting the hardware seems to be becoming more apparent as they fight for your views.

Opening a video with “so I just got this today...” and proceed to review the item...? ...

You hit it on the nail. Followed by blowing out a fat cloud, some swearing and personal jibberish about their life. Finally, it's on to the over inflated "review".

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I use the YouTube reviews to see what features a product has but put very little stock on their opinions. If you wait a little while after a product becomes available you can come to this forum and see what users are saying about it and if there isn’t any info start a thread asking for opinions. There is a few reviewers I trust because they’ve steered me in the right direction in the past but the majority of reviewers I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2018
    Finland
    I think one problem is we dont have, or i havent found any big players on the field, those who are not dependent getting free stuff from manuafactors marketing team. Many YT description start like "thanks for the beatiful people of *insert brandname" for sending their product for me to review" you allready know this is not going to be a valid review. Marketing is cruel business they only want to sell so they "bribe" those who are in good ratio of audience and gives them favorable reviews. They surely stop doing business with you, if you point out a bad product or recomend some other product over theirs. Some channels are more cunning than others. Im sure they plan these things up with the marketing team or they have very restrain guidelines of how to review their products. Like microsoft paid youtubers to praise the xbox one and not to point out certain things. I think its same here. Its all about marketing and getting products sold by all means.

And i have withing a year spent like hundreds of euros if not a grand in local vaping stores and they also give me pretty accurate information. Usually if i buy something good from locals i order spare set of same product from aliexpress with less than half the price. If tank cost nearly 50e here aliexpress sell it for 20e and ship for free. With mods the difference is even bigger. They are 100% authentic products, manuafactors have this code system you can check online if the product is real or not.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have been burned a couple times by being "an early adopter of product" i.e. preordering something that later sucked (the two battery punk springs to mind).

But yeah, avoid "top 10" lists like the plague, watch reviews with caution and I really prefer to wait a bit and find out what real world users think (this forum, mainly). Most popular products wind up with a dedicated thread. I have found waiting to be to my benefit.

I watch a review to find out how to USE or build my vape thing. Quite often, I watch it on mute (or in a different language).

I think the last review I watched might have been in Finnish, or Estonian or something, actually. But, it showed me what I needed to know.

Anna

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2018
    Finland
    And thanks everyone for replying and for good points. I agree it is wrong to push review out soon as possible. What many reviewer dont understand many of us are ex smokers and we go out to work and hobbies with these things and are dependent that the device perform well in real life. Day1 review dont know if the coils are reliable or thing like with ello duro filling system opening itself. Most dont have the time to battle with these things on daily life.

I understand the margin of personal preference is huge but a review should have certain parametres and scale of different aspects how the product performs. Not. Just trying to look cool and blow fat 100% vg clouds and everything is cool becouse you get views and the product on every available colours.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Agreed. Kind of stopped watching a while ago.
    and I have never watch any of them. I got/get all the reviews I need right here on this forum. At least I can depend on good honest reviews.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread