Diy coil building

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaJoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Northeast, Pa
I personally went with 32g kanthal and 2mm wick with 2x 1mm flavor wick and it is working great. I was having gurgling problems with the stock set up, and this fixed it.

I ended up with 6/5 wraps around the 2mm and it came out to 2.4Ω.

I got mine 10ft of kanthal and 10ft of wick for like $9 on ebay. I think the sellers name was snaredrummer or something like that.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Check eBay for very cheap deals on Kanthal compared to what you'll find in stores. It's worth shelling out $6 once for 100 feet of the stuff.

If you're ever torn between different sizes of silica, get the 3mm. They come in strands of twisted fibers, and it's easy to pull a third of them out and get a 2mm and 1mm strand. Also good in situations where 2mm is gurgly but 3mm is too tight, you know?

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
I like temco for wire, items in TEMCo Industrial Power Supply store on eBay!

I use cotton for all my wicks so I really can't recommend silica since I don't like any of it.

A little tip for kanger heads is to make sure the wicks are suported by the coils as close to the holes in the head as possible. THat really helps with leaking and gurgling in my experience.

buckethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
NW Indiana, United States
There are varying ways to go about it, my current favorite method is 32gauge Kanthal and 3mm Silica wick, this way you can forget about the flavor wicks. I made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsi6N2f9FI
This is by no means the only way to do it, but the basics are there.

Does the 3mm wick thicker juices well? Or do you get burnt hits? Thanks for the video!

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
There are varying ways to go about it, my current favorite method is 32gauge Kanthal and 3mm Silica wick, this way you can forget about the flavor wicks. I made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttsi6N2f9FI

Nice alternate method for wrapping. I might have to try that pin in the wick way as my first 6 I made a mess of. I think I've got it now, but your method looks easier to me - thanks for making the video.

Skypea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
The Shoals, Alabama
i'm so glad I found this thread. You are so awesome! I LOVED your video. How you threaded the pin inside the wick, how you made 2 at a time, oh heck, loved all of it! I have wick, I have wire, I even have 2 rebuildable something or rather atties but have not had the knowledge or courage to do anything with them. The only thing I've used the wick for is replacing the protank flavor wicks. I am so going to try this. I want better flavor!! Of course I will need my "strong" reading glasses, maybe a glass of merlot and your how to video. Thank you! Thank you! And one more time, thank you! ;)

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
What kind of wire and wicks should I buy to start building my own coils for my Protank. Where are some good websites?

I use 30g kanthal wire and cotton for wicks.

the coil is cheap on ebay and normally ships for free. i paid 4.50$ for 100 feet.

the cotton can be bought at most drug stores, just make sure its sterile so you dont have to boil it to clean it. you can also use qtips, like me.

Marredding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Warwick MD
VapRlady, I watched your YouTube video and you inspired me to try to rebuild my evod and Protank coils. I got it right the first try using your method. I really like doing two at once. It saves time and material. I'm a 55 year old woman with no experience doing something like this and it was a piece of cake. If anyone is hesitating, just do it. I haven't bought coils and my rebuilds are better then the originals.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I'm a 55 year old woman with no experience doing something like this and it was a piece of cake. If anyone is hesitating, just do it. I haven't bought coils and my rebuilds are better then the originals.

Good for you! That's exatly what I said when I started rebuilding: anyone thinking about it, give it a shot. Don't let it scare you.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
Great video by VaprLady!, I have watched four or five others, I really like Your wick on the pin method and will try it next time. I expect it will be easier and less wasteful then they I have been doing it, just holding the pin next to the wick. i have always used two stands of the 3mm wick on top but when I rebuild again I'll try with out it.

Thanks for the great video

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
VapRlady, I watched your YouTube video and you inspired me to try to rebuild my evod and Protank coils. I got it right the first try using your method. I really like doing two at once. It saves time and material. I'm a 55 year old woman with no experience doing something like this and it was a piece of cake. If anyone is hesitating, just do it. I haven't bought coils and my rebuilds are better then the originals.

Thanks! I haven't watched the video yet, but your post makes me think that even I could do this! I've re-wicked some of my heads with cotton, but I'm just curious . . what is it about rebuilding the coils that makes them better than the originals? The new heads aren't that expensive, so I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth it time-wise to give it a try. I'm all about getting the best vape possible, so any input will be greatly appreciated!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Thanks! I haven't watched the video yet, but your post makes me think that even I could do this! I've re-wicked some of my heads with cotton, but I'm just curious . . what is it about rebuilding the coils that makes them better than the originals? The new heads aren't that expensive, so I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth it time-wise to give it a try. I'm all about getting the best vape possible, so any input will be greatly appreciated!

In my case

better flavor
no gurgling
in the case of my vivi no leaking onto the post of my battery

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
In my case

better flavor
no gurgling
in the case of my vivi no leaking onto the post of my battery

Sounds good to me! Is this because the wire used and how the coil is wrapped is better than the original? Sorry, but this question has been bugging me for a while and I finally had to ask :laugh:

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida

I bought 100 feet of wire and 10 feet of wick off Ebay for 13 bucks and change. I should easily get 50 rebuilds out of that and have about 50 feet of wire left over.
I have only just started rebuilding and have done about 6 or 7 so far so these are rough estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread