DIY Percentage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerox

Oct 5, 2017
Newfoundland and Labrador
So I've been doing DIY for a few months now mixing 3 flavors that add up to 15% and flavor has been good.
Now I'm looking to do a recipe with just one flavor (Perique Tobacco). Should I still aim for 15% flavoring or is that too much when using a single flavor for a DIY eliquid? Should I aim for 10% or even 5%?

Thanks

Reactions: stols001

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Perique Black is one of the two flavors that I use. I would go with Beamslider's post and start at 5%, but in a small batch (10mls or so) and go up or down (in the amount of flavor) from there. FWIW, I use a 4, sometimes 5, % ratio of that flavor, but everybody's taste buds are different..

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    As you move away from commercial eliquids, sometimes your tastebuds and what you want out of a vape will change. I'd agree about starting out lower, and adjusting up if you find you need to. I find it so much easier to adjust flavoring up slightly than trying to dilute it down. Give it at least a few days of steeping before you taste it though (ideally at LEAST a week) as flavors will change and intensify over time as they are shaken then rest... Even if it's a single flavor mix. I THINK tobaccos are those that may require slightly longer steep times but I haven't ever mixed tobacco flavoring so I am far from an expert in that arena.

Best of luck,

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I have found that the flavor I use doesn't require any steeping, or I'm just satisfied with the taste of it right away when I mix a batch. I mix in small batches (10-12ml) that'll last me at least a week. I believe I've stumbled on a pleasurable ratio percentage of the two flavors I use, so my last batch was 30ml. I've got about 20mls of that batch left, so I'll see if the last fill up tastes any different or stronger than the first.

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Most of the flavorings I use have recommended percentages to use as a baseline to start with. In my experience with DIY there is NO SUCH THING as a shake and vape since just adding a NIC Shot to a finished aged e-Liquid requires time for it to totally infuse. I have found it takes a minimum of 48-72 hours to totally infuse when kept at around 100°F and if using higher temperatures, close to but not over 150°F you can cut the time down to 24 hours. Shake the bottle and if you can see layers or the different liquids still separated it needs more time to infuse. Also an electric mixer can speed up the process. Good Luck and Happy Vaping!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    So I've been doing DIY for a few months now mixing 3 flavors that add up to 15% and flavor has been good.
    Now I'm looking to do a recipe with just one flavor (Perique Tobacco). Should I still aim for 15% flavoring or is that too much when using a single flavor for a DIY eliquid? Should I aim for 10% or even 5%?

Thanks

Hi, Xerox. I like your username. I retired from that company after 36 years as a tech rep.

The site you linked suggests a 5% starting point (more or less) in the comments for Perique Black. It's a FlavourArt flavor and FA flavors are generally mixed in lower percentages than some of the other brands, although some can be good as high as 10% and 15%. Many FA flavors are highly concentrated and good at 2%. Less is more when you can add additional flavoring after steeping. It's much less tedious to add flavor after steeping than to have to cut the mix after the fact.

I'd start at 5% and decide after steeping whether you need to raise or lower the %.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread