PIF DIY - Q&A and this and that and just DIY chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
As more and more new people get into DIY I thought it may be good to have a chat thread. We have some very knowledgeable people in PIF such as Markfm and Vchick who's DIY skills and experience can be a great asset to those just starting out. So everyone feel free to ask questions, share recipes, ideas, and lets just chat without taking ourselves too seriously ;) or getting lost in overly dramatic discussions. In other words grab a coffee and a vape and lets have fun :)

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
OK I'll kick it off with my "World famous" :rolleyes: Swedish fish recipe :drool:

All TFA flavors - I actually buy 30ml sizes and mix 120ml batches of flavoring. I mix this flavor base then use it at 20% total flavoring in the juice.
50% cranberry
25% raspberry (or blackberry will work)
25% orange cream.
Then add cotton candy or sweetener to taste if you like sweeter. I usually add both ;)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I've been doing DIY 3 years now, a mix of tobacco and other recipes. There's a real thrill when you get that just right blend :)

I'm a high flavor person, most recipes can have flavorings cut 25% easily, but this is what I blend.

If you have a sweet tooth, vananaberry is good. All flavors here are Natures Flavors, from their coffee and tea flavoring system, but TPA flavorings can be substituted easily (use TPA banana cream).
Vanilla 8% (2.4 ml per 30 ml final eliquid)
Banana 8% (2.4 ml)
Strawberry 6% (1.8 ml)

Give this one time to steep -- I recommend two full weeks, though you can try speeding it up in an ultrasonic cleaner. Natures Flavors uses alcohol, try uncapping the bottle completely for a day if you want it to evaporate off (and a fan blowing over the open bottle top helps).

Last edited:

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
I want to learn to DIY. I have a flavor I love but I can only find it in one store so I have to buy it online... :(

Just some crazy old lady happily vaping away.

Tell us what it is maybe someone has a recipe :)

Mark - seedmans tobacco what % to start with?
Care to share your vanilla tobacco recipe?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
For a strong tobacco, use perfumers apprentice tobacco absolute (ta) diluted (you buy it that way, precut with pg or PGA [alcohol]), sparingly, to punch things up.

Firm tobacco blend:
15% Seedman Commercial concentrate (4.5 ml per 30)
--use it in the concentrated form
4 drops ta diluted per 10 ml (12 drops per 30)

Shake and vape - no steeping needed.

The ta I bought from TPA came with a little dropper. Otherwise, 4 drops is about 1/6 ml.

All Day Vape - for me this mix just plain works, never grown tired of it
10% nature flavors vanilla
10% TPA tobacco blend - I use the alc version, the pg is fine too.

Another shake and vape :). Similar to vananaberry, if the alcohol adds too much harshness, leave it uncapped overnight.

Last edited:

rebgold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
Mr Mann says I can ask this DIY mixing/math question here without being mocked, lol.
I have 250 ml of 48 mg nic base. I want to mix the whole thing down to somewhere between 20 and 18 mg nic. I figure if I went with 19 to 20 as my base I won't be taking any lower than 18 when I start adding flavorings. I am using straight PG to mix it and think maybe I'd like to use a very small percent of distilled water too, maybe 1 to 1.5 %. How many ml of pg and water do I need to accomplish that?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Great question, we all have to learn this stuff :) If you want your final mix to be 18 mg/ml, starting from 20 mg/ml only allows for 10% for flavorings in a final blend. That's good if your flavorings are pretty strong, but if you ever use organic flavorings you might want a bit more room to work.

The below may seem kind of dreary, but I like to provide the full math. The bold text below is the quick answer.

(final mg/ml = nic_base_mg/ml X fraction_of_nic_base; if you have 20 mg/ml nic base, and use 90% nic base, then you have 20 mg/ml x 0.9 = 18 mg/ml in your final mix)

To get from 48 mg/ml to 20 mg/ml, the math is: 48 mg/ml X ? = 20 mg/ml, ? = 20/48 = 0.42, so you need the 48 mg/ml to be 42% of your final blend.

Since you have 250 ml of the 48 mg/ml, we figure out how much total liquid that gets downmixed to: 250 ml = 0.42 X ?, ? = 250/0.42 = 595 ml total.

We now know that you need to mix that 250 ml of 48 mg/ml into a total of 595 ml final liquid, so the amount of "filler" PG and water is: 595 - 250 = 345 ml.

Quick math check: 250 ml X 48 mg/ml = 12000 mg of nicotine.

12000 mg / 595 [total ml after mixing) = 20 mg/ml final strength

So, 345 ml of filler, 595 total ml of mixed liquid. If you want to end up with about 1% water, 20 mg/ml, starting from 250 ml of 48 mg/ml, I'd add about 6 ml water (1% of 595 ml), and 345 - 6 = 339 ml of PG.

I normally allow a bit more "headroom", room to play, maybe to add some VG at the end, or in case I need a bit more flavorings. In that case I would downmix the 48 mg/ml to 24 mg/ml. That's still relatively "safe" (many vape 24 mg/ml).

The math for converting from 250 ml of 48 mg/ml to 24 mg/ml is easy:

48 mg/ml X ? = 24 mg/ml.
? = 24/48 = 0.5
We need the 48 mg/ml to be 0.5 (50%) of the final.
250 ml = 0.5 X ?
? = 250/0.5 = 500
We need the final solution to be 500 ml
500 - 250 (ml of 48 mg/ml) = 250 ml of filler.
For 1% distilled water, given the total end product is 500 ml, add 5 ml of water, and 250 - 5 = 245 ml of PG.

Now you have 24 mg/ml, 1% water, nic base. If your final goal is 18 mg/ml, then you will use 75% 24mg/ml nicotine base, and 25% left over for flavorings and plus-up filler (a little more PG, or VG). For a 30 ml batch, you would use 22.5 ml of your 24 mg/ml nicotine base, and 7.5 ml for flavorings and final filler.

I know, too much information, but it gets easy with practice :)

Last edited:

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
That's impossible to answer actually. The best flavorings are the ones you like. I like some tfa, TA, and flavor west. I hate some tfa, TA, and flavor west.
As for vg I only use pharma grade same with pg. Others buy gallons of it from tractor supply (medicine taste IMO) and from candle or soap supply places and love it.
Same with nicotine. Some people like the peppery synthetic stuff others don't. Unfortunately it's all hit and miss. It's like broccoli. Some people love it others think it tastes like .... :blink: ever drop $150 at a 5 star restaurant and wonder what the idiot was thinking that gives out stars? Taste is way too subjective to answer you with anything more than "here's what I like"

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
These are just what I use. There's a huge range of personal opinions in this area.

Flavorings:
I use Natures Flavors Coffee and Tea Flavoring System, since early on I got into making some PG-free blends for friends who had PG sensitivities: Organic Flavor for Coffee | Organic Flavors | Flavors They've now come out with a specific set of Diacetyl-free flavorings, for some of the "creamy" flavors that classically have it, likely due to their popularity for vaping: Flavors Without Diacetyl | Flavors I'd definitely look at the NF diacetyl-free ones if those are flavor types I wanted to do something with.

I also use theperfumersapprentice (TPA), and Seedmans for tobacco, with a bit of Capella flavorings for playing around. TPA tobacco absolute diluted is a staple for me when I want to punch up a tobacco blend, and their liquid menthol concentrate is also a simple to use thing for menthols (I'm too lazy to dissolve my own menthol crystals in alcohol).

A lot of people swear by other flavorings, some of them are pretty high concentration, I just use things that I personally like.

PG
I use the gallon container of PG USP from Tractor Supply Stores, about $22. I've tried others, but it just hasn't been a big deal for me, TSS PG seems to taste fine, and it really is USP, manufactured to good standards.

VG
Again, I'm lazy. I use Glycerin USP from RiteAid or CVS, 6 ounce squat bottle for about $5 - $6 near the bandaids, labeled "Glycerin USP Skin Protectant". These are both Humco relabels. It's real USP glycerin, the only ingredient listed is Glycerin. I care greatly about USP, don't mess with various non-USP things that some people like.

Nicotine
I have been entirely happy with GoodProphets, RTS Vapes, and MyFreedomSmokes nicotine base. I've done my own home nicotine titration checks, they've come out consistent with the nominal mg/ml, flavor has been fine. This is a hugely contentious area, people have their must-use nicotine vendors, but I've been content with everything I use, shop based on price. GP often has excellent sales on their 36 mg/ml nic base. I went with RTS Vapes for a higher mg/ml when I stocked up a bit, nic that's stored in the freezer (bubble wrapped and well marked, plus we have no youngsters around).

Any of the above are decent, but certainly others will have their own opinions. It's kind of like "what's the best PV?" I really like what I use, but others like different ones; it's all good if it keeps us away from smoking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread