Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPloom

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
chicago
Just a suggestion, this is art not accounting. Remember that Even a brand you might not be drawn to can be wonderful for use in special cases or to suggest to someone else. The flavors are tools for you to create with, don't disregard any of your tools. Oh, and all flavor vendors have strengths and weaknesses so it's more about finding the "right" caramel not the "best" caramel, if you take my meaning.

Great advice. I will be sure to view them as tools!

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
that is good to know as well, so your saying just because one brand works with a certain flavor, a different brand of the same version of their flavor may not work as well with the same flavor.
We could all agree that Brand A caramel is a higher grade caramel than Brand B, yet the one which tasted better in a specific recipe could be Brand B.

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
If I might chime in here.
I use strictly use LorAnns flavorings at the moment. What I am finding is that some of their flavorings are really good and work really well for my mixes. Others are hard to work with. I can't seem to get their apple to taste like apple. So I'm going to wind up braking down and ordering another vendors apple flavoring. Then I can start mixing it with the LorAnn flavorings to see what I can come up with. No one said you can't use two different vendor's flavors in a single mix.

As for adding water? Yes, distilled is best. But then again I mix with all VG so I need to cut it a little. I normally use 15%, but you can start with 10% and see if it's enough. If your mixing with PG you shouldn't need any water. Basicly it's all down to what will run best in your set ups.

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
Screamin Eagle:10519311 said:
If I might chime in here.
I use strictly use LorAnns flavorings at the moment. What I am finding is that some of their flavorings are really good and work really well for my mixes. Others are hard to work with. I can't seem to get their apple to taste like apple. So I'm going to wind up braking down and ordering another vendors apple flavoring. Then I can start mixing it with the LorAnn flavorings to see what I can come up with. No one said you can't use two different vendor's flavors in a single mix.

As for adding water? Yes, distilled is best. But then again I mix with all VG so I need to cut it a little. I normally use 15%, but you can start with 10% and see if it's enough. If your mixing with PG you shouldn't need any water. Basicly it's all down to what will run best in your set ups.
thank you to all of you, very helpful indeed, I can't wait till Friday, so I can start ordering ingredients, and start experimenting. Everybody's advice has been very insightful, thanks again.

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
thank you to all of you, very helpful indeed, I can't wait till Friday, so I can start ordering ingredients, and start experimenting. Everybody's advice has been very insightful, thanks again.

Why wait? For as little as $25 you can be mixing tonight. Go get some Glycerine USP from Wally World, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, CVS or any of the other large chain drug stores. While your there pick up a liquid medicine syringe and a couple of eye droppers.
If your at Wally World pick up some distilled water (if your going to just use VG), some LorAnns candy flavoring (get something simple for your first try like Cherry or Bubble Gum), and a small bottle of liquid sucralose (liquid Splenda).
If your going to use any PG you can get that from Tractor Supply (it adds to my $25 estimate).
Then all you will need is bottles to put your mixes in. You can give any empties you have from juices you've bought a hot water soak, or go to your nearest vape shop and ask if they would sell you a few.
The only thing you may have to order is your nicotine.
Then get an online e-liquid calculator and have some fun.

Last edited:

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
Screamin Eagle:10521578 said:

Why wait? For as little as $25 you can be mixing tonight. Go get some Glycerine USP from Wally World, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, CVS or any of the other large chain drug stores. While your there pick up a liquid medicine syringe and a couple of eye droppers.
If your at Wally World pick up some distilled water (if your going to just use VG), some LorAnns candy flavoring (get something simple for your first try like Cherry or Bubble Gum), and a small bottle of liquid sucralose (liquid Splenda).
If your going to use any PG you can get that from Tractor Supply (it adds to my $25 estimate).
Then all you will need is bottles to put your mixes in. You can give any empties you have from juices you've bought a hot water soak, or go to your nearest Vape shop and ask if they would sell you a few.
The only thing you may have to order is your nicotine.
Then get an online e-liquid calculator and have some fun.
I just ordered about 90 bucks worth of stuff last night chomping at the bit to get it all in the mail. Lol

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
Well, I'm a fan of Lorann's Pina Collada because it works better for me than the ones I've tried from TPA/TFA and Capella. I like a few of their flavors.

I like a number of TPA/TFA's, and a few of Capella's, a number of FA's, a few of the SC's from ECX and VZ.

For new mixers I usually recommend Capella's because they seldom hit levels 7 & 8 which makes it easier to get the flavoring levels figured out.

Note:
TPA/TFA is The Perfumer's Apprentice / The Flavor Apprentice
FA is Flavour Art
SC's are Super Concentrates from EcigExpress and Vaping Zone
Levels 7 & 8 refer to the chart of flavoring levels from my blog on flavoring levels and some silly mixers think it is a good read.
Added this note since we tend to speak in our own "mixer lingo" not because we are exclusive, but because we are lazy type-ers.
I just read your blog very good stuff, but I still don't know how flavor I use in like a 10ml bottle, I am going to start out with like a 65 35 mix, and then the flavor, but I have no clue as to what I'm going to end up with, I need to steep it like you said of course, but I don't want to use too much to begin with.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I just read your blog very good stuff, but I still don't know how flavor I use in like a 10ml bottle, I am going to start out with like a 65 35 mix, and then the flavor, but I have no clue as to what I'm going to end up with, I need to steep it like you said of course, but I don't want to use too much to begin with.

There is no generic answer to give you on how much flavoring to use.
Every brand and even different flavors within that brand vary on %.
For example, I use a lot of TFA flavors.
% can vary between .5% and 20% depending on what flavor you are using.
I have a cherry that is overpowering at 3% and a peach that still seems weak at 20% and a coffee flavor that is way to strong at 1.5%
I did google searches when I started out.....example........ "tfa juicy peach flavor percentage"
A specific search like that on google will yield great results from forum discussions on the exact flavor and brand you are going to mix.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
There is no generic answer to give you on how much flavoring to use.
Every brand and even different flavors within that brand vary on %.
For example, I use a lot of TFA flavors.
% can vary between .5% and 20% depending on what flavor you are using.
I have a cherry that is overpowering at 3% and a peach that still seems weak at 20% and a coffee flavor that is way to strong at 1.5%
I did google searches when I started out.....example........ "tfa juicy peach flavor percentage"
A specific search like that on google will yield great results from forum discussions on the exact flavor and brand you are going to mix.

I sure am glad I'm starting out with all the same brand, I hope Loranns is pretty consistent, every flavor I have on its way to me is from them, in fact I think every flavor is the same line from them too.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Sorry, Capella is the closest thing to a "consistent" brand and the reason I recommend them to new mixers. It only seems more expensive until you've pouring out batches that you can't make vape-able.

With Cap's I could say, try 10% and go from there, and it would work about 95% of the time.

Lorann's it could be from 2% to 35% according to what I've discovered with LA.

(Plus 10% is cool because the math is dead-on-simple, 1ml flavoring, 9ml other stuff = 10ml bottle. Not that I have a Cap recipe that uses exactly 10% flavoring, but it makes a good starting point nonetheless.)

Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Sorry, Capella is the closest thing to a "consistent" brand and the reason I recommend them to new mixers. It only seems more expensive until you've pouring out batches that you can't make vape-able.

With Cap's I could say, try 10% and go from there, and it would work about 95% of the time.

(Plus 10% is cool because the math is dead-on-simple, 1ml flavoring, 9ml other stuff = 10ml bottle. Not that I have a Cap recipe that uses exactly 10% flavoring, but it makes a good starting point nonetheless.)

Very true Hoosier. I have found capella to be very consistent.
10-12% for all of their stuff I have tried.

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
savagemann:10538881 said:

Very true Hoosier. I have found capella to be very consistent.
10-12% for all of their stuff I have tried.

so LorAnns varies even from the same line of juice? Oh man, what am in getting myself into? Lol oh well, I'll just keep reading more and more, and I have looked at capella, they are more money but when it comes down to it I'm still saving a whole lot more money and am going to have a higher quality vape.

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
chicoj:10537199 said:
if you mix your own juices you need to read as much as possible throughout this tread E-Liquid Recipes .. to give you an idea of ​​the percentages that you can use, then you experiment with these percentages down to what you like
thank you I will check that link out for sure, I'll look at any advice when it comes to this, and thank you.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
thank you I will check that link out for sure, I'll look at any advice when it comes to this, and thank you.

Good luck on DIY! I've been lurking on these posts for awhile and would love to try it but honestly, it all reads like French to me! I need a DIY book or all info on one page. LOLOL. I don't think I could do it. I just want to stock pile a bunch of nic juice! Maybe just add a few drops of premade flavor..sounds easier.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you! And if you have advise for noobs that you learn along the way.

relax1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
il
Good luck on DIY! I've been lurking on these posts for awhile and would love to try it but honestly, it all reads like French to me! I need a DIY book or all info on one page. LOLOL. I don't think I could do it. I just want to stock pile a bunch of nic juice! Maybe just add a few drops of premade flavor..sounds easier.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you! And if you have advise for noobs that you learn along the way.
okay I have made 2 bottles of juice now, one is a Bavarian cream with peach, and the other is just strawberry, the Bavarian cream with peach actually smells pretty good, does not taste too bad, but I think needs to sit for a little bit, doesn't taste to great yet, but I think it may if it steeps about another week or so, that's one thing I don't like about it, is having to wait to make sure it's good or no good at all, but it's still fun to do, the strawberry, can't figure out if I need more flavor or less, I guess let it sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread