Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Maybe for you and some people you know it isn't a Niche Fad. But given the million of people that have used vaping to get off cigarettes it is.
And where do you get the figures that everyone goes for Mech Mod's after they graduate from an eGo?
Is that why almost every month a new regulated APV, and or a new chip for Reg APV's, comes out? Because everyone is buying Mechanical Mod's, dripping and building sub 1 ohm dual, quad coils?
I don't drip, have no desire to drip and have no desire for more flavor than what I am getting from 99% of the tanks and or cartos I am using.
So what if drippers are commonly built below 1 ohm. Again that is if you are into cloud chasing.

Please show some statistics on the number of people that vape and those that drip and use Mech Mod's.

I bet when I go to the Atlanta vape show in August that 90% of the people there are just regular vapers with regular gear.

I think you are the one handing out the Misinformation.

I also bet that 75+% of people that vape to get off cigarettes have never even been to this forum or even know it exists.

I typed this while I had a Halo G6 in my mouth loaded with Tribeca.

Lots of misinformation here.

Sub ohm vaping isn't some niche fad.
After vapers graduate from an ego, about 90% of the mechanical mod users eventually venture into dripping.
Dripping will allow you to experience flavor beyond the ability of a tank.
Drippers are commonly built below the 1.0 ohm threshold.

There are TONS of RDAs out there
You really don't think those are designed for 1.5 ohm builds do ya?

Why do ya think the DNA chips are so popular?
They fire sub ohm attys.
;)

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
of course Evolv is going to have another revision of the DNA chip. It's all rhetoric at this point as to when and what the new wattage limit will be. most experts already agree that the chip can handle more than the 10 amp limit placed on it right now.

Agreed. But all that wattage is only good, usable, if you are a Sub-Ohmer. If you use coils wrapped at 1.4 or above all those watts mean nothing.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
Well I don't think it is even on their drawing boards. Again I ask why would it. The Sub-Ohm crowd is a very small segment of the vaping community so sales would be limited. To go along with that most Sub-Ohmers are hooked into Mech's. Sure for some it would be nice to have a regulated device but then what do they with all the Mech Mod's they have.
Also most of the Mod's that have the DNA chips are in the $200+ range, for the most part. Again that is a small segment of vapers that would spend that much on a Mod. I certainly wouldn't.

If you try to run a 1.2+ ohm coil at anywhere near that 30 watts all you get is a HOT throat and or burnt taste.

Buying the Provari was expensive enough for me. But then I'm not a Sub-Ohmer or cloud chaser and never plan on being one. In fact I'm thinking of raising my coil ohms from around 1.4 to 1.8 or even 2 ohms. That will get me more coil/wick surface area.

it really doesn't matter what you would pay for a DNA equipped device. the popularity of the devices, coupled with the wait times required to get your own DNA board is a testament to their popularity and success.

the resistance of your coil on a DNA device is negligible. As long as it's coiled with the range of the device (amp limit), it will fire the coil at that same wattage regardless of the resistance of the coil.

a coil at .4Ω won't necessarily wick better or worse than a coil at 1.2Ω. saying you'll only get a hot/burnt taste from a coil over one ohm is definitely a misinformed post. I have 4 DNA 30 devices and could easily give examples where this is entirely not true.

increasing your resistance won't necessarily increase surface area as there are a lot of variables that go into the final resistance of your coil

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
Agreed. But all that wattage is only good, usable, if you are a Sub-Ohmer. If you use coils wrapped at 1.4 or above all those watts mean nothing.

you're entirely wrong on that last bit

whether your coil is sub-ohmed or not, the final wattage is a constant. the beauty of the DNA device specifically is that you can fire a coil over 1 ohm at a higher watttage than a normal mech mod could fire that same coil

you're thinking is still in terms of voltage (provari). this is probably where the discrepancy is

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
saying you'll only get a hot/burnt taste from a coil over one ohm is definitely a misinformed post. I have 4 DNA 30 devices and could easily give examples where this is entirely not true.

increasing your resistance won't necessarily increase surface area as there are a lot of variables that go into the final resistance of your coil

I did not say you get a hot vape and a burnt taste from coils over 1.2 ohms with a DNA 30. I did say that if you are using a coil 1.2+ and you set your DNA 30 to 30 watts you certainly will get a HOT vape and a burnt taste. If not initially it will be within the first few second of firing it.

Maybe you like that type of vape and burnt flavor. I don't.

If I increase the ohms of my coil using the same size Kanthal I need to use more wraps. More wraps = longer coil = more surface area. I could also increase the surface area by going to a smaller mandrel to wrap on but then I would limit the size of the wick through the coil.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
you're entirely wrong on that last bit

whether your coil is sub-ohmed or not, the final wattage is a constant. the beauty of the DNA device specifically is that you can fire a coil over 1 ohm at a higher watttage than a normal mech mod could fire that same coil

you're thinking is still in terms of voltage (provari). this is probably where the discrepancy is

Well you missed the point of my post. And is seem the point I was making in my other post as well.

So I will just let this drop.

Have at it boys.

Happy Vaping.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Maybe for you and some people you know it isn't a Niche Fad. But given the million of people that have used vaping to get off cigarettes it is.
And where do you get the figures that everyone goes for Mech Mod's after they graduate from an eGo?
Is that why almost every month a new regulated APV, and or a new chip for Reg APV's, comes out? Because everyone is buying Mechanical Mod's, dripping and building sub 1 ohm dual, quad coils?
I don't drip, have no desire to drip and have no desire for more flavor than what I am getting from 99% of the tanks and or cartos I am using.
So what if drippers are commonly built below 1 ohm. Again that is if you are into cloud chasing.

Please show some statistics on the number of people that vape and those that drip and use Mech Mod's.

I bet when I go to the Atlanta vape show in August that 90% of the people there are just regular vapers with regular gear.

I think you are the one handing out the Misinformation.

I also bet that 75+% of people that vape to get off cigarettes have never even been to this forum or even know it exists.

I typed this while I had a Halo G6 in my mouth loaded with Tribeca.

I repair mods in a vape shop, and build
Coils for customers. I know a little bit about sub ohm coils and what custera actually have and use.
I see tons of customers every day.

This isnt my "opinion". It's an observation from a professional position within a retail vape store.
I would suggest your observations would change if you had a bit more experience with a variety of gear and the customers who use it.
RDAs are very popular.
Go to any vape meet or event with seasoned Vapers and you will see more drippers than protanks or kayfuns in action.
It may not be your thing, but it's extremely popular.
Maybe if you understood a bit more about wicking and sub ohm coils you wouldn't be getting those burnt hits.
I don't have that problem.

Remember:
The best "tanks" are said to "hit as good as a dripper".
There is good reason drippers are used as a benchmark for flavor and performance.
To each their own.
But understand the facts may vary from your opinion or limited experience.

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
Get ya a beach towel, wrap some 3 gauge copper wire around it, soak it down with your favorite juice & plug in the nearest wall socket. Happy cloud chasing. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to do just that for some laughs. I'd probably stick with DC power though. Use one of my ebike packs, say 53v hot of the charger. Make a 2Ω quad-coil with 8Ω on each coil, 20 wraps of 30g kanthal with 4mm ID.

So like, 26A @ 53v, or nearly 1400w...

BOOYAH!

Would have to make my own RDA

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
What Myths? That a 1.2 or 1.4 ohm coil will be just fine at 30 watts? That's 6 and 6.5+ volts respectively. So you are saying those coils give a good vape at that high a voltage and or wattage?

Not for me. Actually I never even try it. I like the back of my throat.

Good day to you.

Perhaps with a single coil, but with dual or quad coils, that can be quite reasonable.

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
Well...fact is, I like a variety of vaping experiences. Depends on my mood, time of day, juice and devices. There are times I enjoy a single coil at 1.4 to 1.8 in my dripper at 13 to 16 watts. There are times I like to vape with a single or double coil at .8 to 1 ohm anywhere from 18 to 25 watts. There are times I like dual coil .5 to .8 ohms at 30 watts. Different experiences, all enjoyable. Like my Kayfuns at 13 to 16 watts, 1.4 to 1.8 ohms....tried other combos but enjoyed that range more. My higher powered, regulated devices give me the flexibility to try a wide range of options and, more importantly, enjoy different tastes, density, warmth, etc from my vape.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
What Myths? That a 1.2 or 1.4 ohm coil will be just fine at 30 watts? That's 6 and 6.5+ volts respectively. So you are saying those coils give a good vape at that high a voltage and or wattage?

Not for me. Actually I never even try it. I like the back of my throat.

Good day to you.

Depends on the wire and build. 1.2ohm coil built with lower gauge wire, why not? I do it all the time. Contrary to what you think, you wont blow up or have your throat melt. In a dripper it is still pretty mellow if you have the right airflow.

Youre clearly just repeating heuristics you have heard as experience and fact and they are neither.

Believe me, nobody is trying to gang up on you, but you are really out to lunch on this one.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009

Your experience is probably with higher gauge wires and you can't imagine some one vaping at higher wattages with higher ohm coils. Ohms and watts can only be used to compare builds made with the same gauge of wire otherwise they are completely useless. You can't compare a 32g 1.4ohm build to a 28 gauge 1.4 ohm build. The former can be vaped at 10 watts and it will be a pretty warm vape. At 10 watts the 28g coil will hardly produce any vapor....you would need to vape it way above 20 watts to really start producing good vapor and it won't come close to burning the juice or your throat. People subohm with mechanicals because they have too in order to supply their lower gauge wires with enough watts to get them to heat up fast enough. For example a 1.8ohm 28g coil would take a long while to heat up on a mechinical device but with a regulated device you can up the wattage on the device so the coils heat up to your liking. However you would need about 30 watts....you don't have enough wattage/power to vape a 28g 1.8ohm coil on a Provari. Now if you prefer using 26g dual coils you would need at least 50 watts and again the vape wouldn't even come close to burning the juice or your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread