Do I really need a charger for my 18650 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne1001

May 24, 2015
I just bought the smok T-Priv. I absolutely love it. This is only my 2nd vape that has removable batteries, and the 1st that didn't come with batteries. When the gal was ringing up my batteries, she asked if I wanted a charger because the Li-Ion batteries "really should be quick charged instead of trickle charged." Is this an attempt at an upsell, or am I going to ruin my batteries or start a fire if I use the charging cable that came with the T-Priv instead of buying a charger next go'round at the store? Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
"Can I Charge My Batteries While In The T-Priv?: SMOK will always tell you that it recommends you charge batteries via an external charger. However, with the T-Priv you can charge the batteries while they are in the device. Understand that doing this is against what the manufacturer recommends. SMOK provides the USB cable so that you can upgrade the device in the future."

Read more A Complete Guide To The SMOK T-Priv Mod

Why they have a charging port and a USB cable included, I have no idea.
I use the Pico 25's and they are made to charge the batteries.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
An external charger is a good idea but not for the reasons you were given.

The USB on your power device is the weak link, easily damaged from routine use.
A decent external charger uses multi/variable charging modes/ algorithms to charge the cells properly.

Although rare, if a cell vents inside your device it will be ruined, using an external charger replace batteries keep vaping.

Charging should be covered in the owners manual.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The issue is while it is possible to do, the microUSB2 connector was never really meant to be used as a charge system for anything and compared to most other systems is very fragile. One good knock can render it useless.

Can it be done? Yes. SHOULD it be done? Not on a regular basis.

Adrienne1001

May 24, 2015
"Can I Charge My Batteries While In The T-Priv?: SMOK will always tell you that it recommends you charge batteries via an external charger. However, with the T-Priv you can charge the batteries while they are in the device. Understand that doing this is against what the manufacturer recommends. SMOK provides the USB cable so that you can upgrade the device in the future."

Read more A Complete Guide To The SMOK T-Priv Mod

Why they have a charging port and a USB cable included, I have no idea.
I use the Pico 25's and they are made to charge the batteries.
Thank you for that link! I appreciate it.

Adrienne1001

May 24, 2015
An external charger is a good idea but not for the reasons you were given.

The USB on your power device is the weak link, easily damaged from routine use.
A decent external charger uses multi/variable charging modes/ algorithms to charge the cells properly.

Although rare, if a cell vents inside your device it will be ruined, using an external charger replace batteries keep vaping.

Charging should be covered in the owners manual.
Ah! That makes sense.
As for charging instructions, unfortunately, the little book in extra tiny print only covers installing the batteries, not charging them. I even checked to see what I could find on SMOKTech's website and came up dry there too. I'm glad I had this place to turn to for the answer. ;0)

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Mooch (Battery Mooch) has also recommended charging batts in a dedicated external charger.

I'm sorry I don't know the exact time in one of his current 3 videos where he mentions this, but for anyone who's interested, here is his (new) YouTube channel.

Battery Mooch

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
USB doesn't fast charge. USB 2.0 charges at 500mA and USB 3.0 and 3.1 charge at 900mA. If its charging faster than that it isn't following USB standards. The 18650 batteries I have are rated max charge rate of 4000mA. Sometime I charge using mod and sometimes use a charger. My charger will charge 2 batteries at 750mA for each battery or 375mA for 4 batteries each

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
If you do charge in the mod. At least get a magnetic cord like this one. It will save the micro usb port on the mod. They work great.

$4.48 Elough E04 Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Magnetic Data Sync / Charging Cable (1m) - authentic / 2.4A output at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

8310501-8.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't use it very often but USB charges faster when I do than the Nitecore D4 charger I have.
The nitecore is not a fast charger that is true. It’s pretty low power iirc. Better for the batteries or something. I forget. I looked the whole thing up once upon a time. I’ve got one too. There ARE faster chargers out there though.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If you do charge in the mod. At least get a magnetic cord like this one. It will save the micro usb port on the mod. They work great.

$4.48 Elough E04 Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Magnetic Data Sync / Charging Cable (1m) - authentic / 2.4A output at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

8310501-8.jpg

Love seeing my method passed around! However, I would suggest a different version that does not do data.
Magnetic Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Braided Charging Cable (100cm) 360 degree rotation / 2A output / 3mm diameter / power-off protection / w/ LED indicator

8872801-8.jpg

$3.81 Magnetic Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Braided Charging Cable (100cm) - 360 degree rotation / 2A output / 3mm diameter / power-off protection / w/ LED indicator at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a magnetic charger on order (from FT) for my (few) setups that need it and also for my cellphone whose USB port is starting to get funky (I've had it 4 years). There are several good reasons not to charge via USB, for me the biggest one is convenience. I hate waiting for things to charge on a USB charger when I can just swap out batteries. The safety reasons have been covered, and they are equally valid and I'm glad I use an external charger for most things. I don't like the idea of killing one of my favorite mods via continual USB charge either.

A decent charger and an extra set of batteries can be purchased fairly easily. Even if you "can" USB charge while you aren't vaping, there is just overall wear and tear on the mod, and yes, if your battery decides to have an unhappy moment, you could damage your gear certainly, in a way that can be a bit irretrievable.

I try to follow safest battery practice and I'm not saying that USB charging is the MOST dangerous practice ever, but there are some significant downsides that just aren't worth it to me when I can avoid it.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread