DO NOT Carry AW high drain batteries in your pocket!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
What about carrying two ecigs in your pocket?

I seem to remember reading a thread in which someone had his ecig (not just
a batt) in his pocket and his keys light him up. So I'm wondering if you had
two ecigs touching each other in a pocket or a carrying case, would they try
to vape each other?

I often have a chance to carry my main and my backup into work in the same
pocket, but I don't cuz I'm not sure about this. However, it would be much
more convenient cuz I have enough in my hands already, and I risk rubbing
one of them on stuff (keys, etc.) in my hand or dropping it. In my carrying
case, I have been wrapping the largest one in the kind of wrapper they in
which the vendor wraps them for shipping.

I know those methods are safer, but not very convenient. So, again, if I had
my Twist in my pocket, and my 78 mm in the same pocket, is there going
to be a party in my pants, or am I good to go?

The issue would be if one could possibly activate the fire button. If so, it isn't safe. If not, should be good to go.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Thread should be called "Don't be a cheap :censored:" No offense to the OP. Glad they posted this for new vapors to see. Go and buy a case for your battery mods!!! They're only a $1 and some change guys... RTD Vapor has them in all sorts of cool colors to keep your BATTS happy... And your leg or "Other" areas you might be needing!:)

And yes, glad you are alright OP!

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
if common sense truly was common,,then everybody would have it !!

something real similiar to this even happened about two months ago ,guy was using one of those waist bags when it happened

i learned along time ago to be careful where you put rechargeable batteries,,you don't put them in a bucket of screws either .no not me the guy i was working with did it

after trying to carry the older auto-type e-cig in my pocket,i got in the habit of not carrying gear in my pockets ,,auto batts will auto fire in your pocket !!

btw,,this applies to all batteries !!! not just aw high drains

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
What about coins?

If you have an ecig in your pocket that has coins, will they do the same as
keys?

BTW - thanks to the other posters who answered my question.

The issue in the OP was with rechargeable lithium batteries, not e-cig battery units. Many e-cigs, and some batteries, have short-circuit protection that may prevent such problems, but some don't. It wouldn't be wise to rely upon such possible protections.

Bottom line is, never put either one in a situation where the positive terminal can short-circuit to the negative terminal. Coins or keys could both be potential hazards.

For regular batteries, the positive and negative are at opposite ends, but if the wrapping gets damaged, it can be very easy to short them together. Even with the wrapping intact, if keys, coins, or other electrically conductive metals manage to bridge between them, you're probably going to be unhappy about it.

For e-cigs, the positive is the center post on the connector, and the negative is the outside of the connector. If something bridged those, and the button were activated while that happened, you could have a problem. If there is a carto or atty installed, then that shouldn't be able to happen, though.

Solidx

Jan 25, 2011
Newfoundland
Thanks guys for the great replies and obvious answers :) I am an RC guy so I deal with LiPos a lot and have great battery sense. I'm deal mostly with 2200mah 3 cell lipos at 11.1v. They are so dangerous, i keep them in a Lipo safe bag while charging them... I REALLY know the difference. I think I left my brain on the pillow that morning.....:facepalm:

But mainly the purpose of this thread was to be a friendly reminder that batteries are no joke. They ARE VERY dangerous if not treated with respect and handled properly.

And yeah I'm getting no time out of that toasted battery now, gonna get a couple cases when I order the new one

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
What about carrying two ecigs in your pocket?

I seem to remember reading a thread in which someone had his ecig (not just
a batt) in his pocket and his keys light him up. So I'm wondering if you had
two ecigs touching each other in a pocket or a carrying case, would they try
to vape each other?

I often have a chance to carry my main and my backup into work in the same
pocket, but I don't cuz I'm not sure about this. However, it would be much
more convenient cuz I have enough in my hands already, and I risk rubbing
one of them on stuff (keys, etc.) in my hand or dropping it. In my carrying
case, I have been wrapping the largest one in the kind of wrapper they in
which the vendor wraps them for shipping.

I know those methods are safer, but not very convenient. So, again, if I had
my Twist in my pocket, and my 78 mm in the same pocket, is there going
to be a party in my pants, or am I good to go?

yes, two ecigs can short each other. use the lockiong feature, if your ecig has it. but we all know that these batts can manage to unlock themselves just by getting jostled around. a great, incredibly inexpensive holder for ego style PVs is a cigar tube. buy a $2 garcia y vega cigar and youve got yourself a battery tube (and a free cigar! LOL)
in a pinch, elastic band a couple folds of papertowel over the positive/negative terminals.
or wrap them in newspaper
or use a plastic baggie
or...you get the point

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
Good you didn't get hurt.
I have modded my vmod putting a coin between positive and kick, it works great, coins are great as for conductivity, which is not always a good thing.

Actually, aside of stacking unmatched batteries and overdischarging IMR, keys and coins in the pocket are probably the most probable cause of accidents with batteries. And one that can well affect new vapers, given mods are becoming much more mainstream.
Granted, there is lots of advice in that sense here and there, but..

Perhaps there should be a sticky post somewhere on the boards titled "do you carry batteries and keys/coins in the same pocket?" or something to that effect.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

bivie

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2012
Damon, TX near Houston
BobbyIvie.com
a great, incredibly inexpensive holder for ego style PVs is a cigar tube. buy a $2 garcia y vega cigar and youve got yourself a battery tube (and a free cigar! LOL)

That's a good idea. It's about time for a cigar on the porch. I can handle
one of those now and then, and they don't make me want a cigarette.
I probably smoke two or three a year, if that much.

shan57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2010
Midwest USA
Those little cases are great, just got some from RTD Vapor. They are very sturdy, not cheapy flimsy things.

Also ordered some battery cases. Right now I keep my 14500s in the plastic case my travelling q-tips came in....they have a flip top and fit PERFECTLY.

Thanks for the great tip - I have one of those q-tip cases, it's much nicer to carry the 14500's in then an old prescription bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread