The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

*DANGER* Carrying Spare Batteries in Pocket

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Trypno, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trypno

Trypno Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So this may need to be stickied, because I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Tonight on my way out to my car to head to work, I reached into my pocket to pull out my keys.

For a bit of background info, I have a concealed carry permit. In my right pocket I carry my revolver and nothing else. In my left pocket, if I don't have any cargo pockets, I carry everything else, including my car keys, and a spare 18650 battery for my mod.

So anyway, I reached into my pocket and found my keys to be hot, like, unusually hot, as in, inexplicably scaldingly hot. I had just pulled my iphone off the charger and stuck it in my pocket, but it was nowhere near hot enough to explain the hot keys.

So I pulled my keys out of my pocket, and my battery came out lumped in. The battery was extremely hot as well. Worried, I stared at the battery in my hand to determine whether it was cooling off or getting hotter and about to blow up on me. Luckily it did cool off.

I came to this conclusion about what happened. Two of my keys must have been making contact with both ends of the battery, creating a circuit. This was causing my keys to discharge my battery into the material of my keys. If I hadn't pulled my keys out of my pocket when I did, I may have been in the emergency room, rather than telling you all this.

The battery in question is an AW IMR High Drain 18650 with a positive nipple on top, the kind ProVape sells with their ProVari.

So to completely sum up my post. Be very careful about carrying keys in your pocket along with spare batteries, because your keys could create a circuit with the battery and blow up if not caught in time.

2. Dissonance

Dissonance Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Dayton, OH, USA
    This is in the stickies, things such as change can also have this effect :p It's a wonder you didn't feel the heat in your pocket before reaching for your keys :O

3. tomzgreat

tomzgreat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    Been there done that. You are not alone.
    Good rule of thumb. Never carry anything metal in the pocket with the battery.

4. Newportlocal

Newportlocal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2013
    Orange County,Calif.
  5. tayone415

tayone415 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2013
    CA
    True, or people could just get a plastic battery case that fits 2 18650s for $1-2.

6. catilley1092

catilley1092 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 3, 2013
    North Carolina, USA
  7. Trypno

Jan 17, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the info everybody, I will definitely consider that lesson learned, and will be looking into either a case, or those caps.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one lol.

8. Dusif

Dusif Super Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2013
    Denmark
    I always use the "lighter pocket" thats placed in the top of the right pocket... It fits an 18650 with no problems and its possible to get a 26650 down there...

Vamo vivi/protank
    Kts+ igo-w 0,7

9. Shootist

Shootist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2014
    Decatur, GA, USA
    Honesty anyone that carries any type of battery in a pocket or purse loose, not in some type of case/holder, will eventually have this problem. Nothing new here. Been happening since batteries were invented and someone tried carrying one of them in a pocket/purse with any other metal object.

10. Trypno

Jan 17, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Don't know why I never thought of the lighter pocket...

11. Nightshard

Nightshard Super Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2013
    Israel
    Well it's obvious not to put anything with a battery that could short it.
    Carry your battery either in a battery case or alone in the pocket.

12. Vapocalyptic

Vapocalyptic Moved On

Feb 20, 2014
    Arizona
    This should be stickied so people can once again realize the majority of incidences are a result of user error/ignorance.

Anybody with a basic knowledge of lion batteries similar to those found in this hobby know

A) ALWAYS carry in a case that is not conductive
    B) NEVER carry alongside any key, coin, metal etc. You are asking for the circuit to be completed and thermal runaway.

Just my 2c

13. Sucker_dad

Sucker_dad Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2013
    topeka, ks, USA
    This info is already in the stickies. Several other places as well. Doesn't seem to get through though. I can't say anything I've done it. I actually had one vent out.

To the OP, throw that battery into a recycle bin.

Sent from my intestines using my linear gas accelerator.

14. mgmetz89

mgmetz89 Full Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Weirton, WV
    And...definitely not in the pocked with your revolver. Ya don't want amps upon amps going through a .357 round.

15. xena222

xena222 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    Oh I was happy for the info - I carry mine in my purse in a separate pocket, but I would have eventually thrown my keys in there if I didn't know!! Thank you!!

16. p7willm

p7willm Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2014
    Lansdale, PA, USA
    The problem I have with cheap cases is that they constantly break at the hinge. I have found silicone "condoms" for batteries. They wrap around the ends of the battery and keep it from shorting out. They are for single batteries and add almost nothing to the size and you can cary however many you want.

17. BiscuitGTR

BiscuitGTR Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2014
    Japan
    this is sort of unrelated but what should you do if your battery has a scratch on it, like for example I have a vtc4 18650 flat top and on the green plastic and part of it chipped of leaving that area exposed, like you can see the metal. Should electrical tape be good to cover it?

twerk team bravo

18. jimivapr
    This message by jimivapr has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jul 10, 2014, Reason: Not necessary.
    Jul 10, 2014
  19. Shootist
    This message by Shootist has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jul 10, 2014, Reason: Not necessary.
    Jul 10, 2014
  20. TheRac25

TheRac25 Senior Member ECF Veteran

zip-lock baggie works

21. Virtual Life

Virtual Life Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    Miami, FL, USA
    I can't even put my VTR in my pocket with something else because my keys have hooked the slide to open the battery door more than once. First time I figured it was a fluke, second time created a new rule.

22. fropit
    This message by fropit has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jul 10, 2014, Reason: Let's keep it on topic...battery safety.
    Jul 10, 2014
  23. LeftCatcher

LeftCatcher Full Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    well no metal objects with with the battery is a no brainer. if someone would've brought that up to you before, you would have steered them away from what you did. ;)
    sounds to me like you need to free up your other pocket.
    http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/07/30/clipdraw-ccw-carry-clip-review/

further more, something to isolate your battery would be a good idea. since your enthusiasms cover gear of another nature, maybe you could used a black nylon holster from a can of mace, flashlight, or a cheap knife.
    just one of those things every CCW guy has in a box somewhere doing nothing... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.