DO you play guitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmohn28

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Iowa, USA
nice collection dmohn28. is that a vintage telecaster?

I've had my fair share of high end guitars, but unfortunately, I don't have any of them right now. The tele is actually a cheap squire tele. I got lucky and it does sound surprisingly good.

Right now, I'm trying to convince the wife that a 50th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Sunburst Reissue would look great on the wall, but she seems to think that $6000 is too much for a guitar.:confused:

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
Yeah guitar thread!

I have a Breedlove AD20 acoustic and a Jackson DK2 electric. I love to play Pink Floyd stuff on the acoustic and improvise on the electric along with some neo classical stuff.

Still take lessons (2yrs) and we are doing modal writing now. It's a ..... but really fun to be able to play against any song I hear. :)

Nestran

kodykills

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Mt.Carmel, Ill
ive been playing guitar for about 8 years now. when i was a teenager i played in a lot of bands. I was in a heavy metal band for about 4 years then we just broke up. Duno what happened. We played a LOT of shows, even at Pops in st.louis. I play mostly punk and metal, im a rocker. Im pretty broke, and have kids now, but i would love a Schecter guitar. They are my favorite brand. Right now i just have a B.C Rich mocking bird, and a "Frankenstein" invention of a guitar, that sounds not too bad. Only because its seymore duncan humbucker hehe. I can play bass (of course, if you can play guitar you can play bass) but i started out on drums. Anyways, if you jam a lot, in a band or by yourself, dont give it up. You will miss it

Sweeeeet. A guitar thread.
Started playing when I was 15. Thats, holy $**t...24 years ago. Ok. Yeah I'm getting up there.
Influences include old school metallica (up to M.O.P), yngwie, impelliteri...typical shred stuff. P. floyd & then back to children of bodom, without grief, autumn leaves then right over to something like robin trower. Yeah I'm all over the board....Sorry though, no country, hip hop or the likes.

Anyways. Still using the same Jackson in the pic but sold the stack.

Oh & I traded the hair for my avitar cape & a steady job that pays:D

Rob

Attachments

• 0125.jpg
    0125.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 19

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I would love to learn to play guitar if I could find one that my hands would fit on. I'm only 4' 11" tall so I have very small hands. I spent years taking piano lessons so reading music isn't an issue. I'd really like to learn classical guitar because I love listening to it.

I do play guitar and bass on Rockband, but that doesn't really count :).

HawaiiVapor808

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Hawaii, Big Island
Yeah guitar thread!

I have a Breedlove AD20 acoustic and a Jackson DK2 electric. I love to play Pink Floyd stuff on the acoustic and improvise on the electric along with some neo classical stuff.

Still take lessons (2yrs) and we are doing modal writing now. It's a ..... but really fun to be able to play against any song I hear. :)

Nestran

love neoclassical metal and even harmonic rock. yeah improvising takes skill, good for you. You took lessons for two years? how are lessons from an actual person? is it easier than learning it online or something? i pretty much taught myself how to play and not to brag, but im fairly good now. im thinking that if i want to get to the very damn good range id have to be taking lessons from a pro. im just worried about the time and money issues :(. I got this far at least.

Surbitonpete, nice video. that would probably be me if i lost my arms. i would never give guitar playing up for anything :cool:. downside is that youd have a really smelly guitar if youve been playing it with your feet lol.

Moonflame, Id say try and do it anyway. its all about technique. i knew a girl who was 4,10 who played flamenco style guitar like a pro. all she does is bend her wrists to make her fingers touch the frets. she said taht having small fingers (diameterwise) makes it way easier to pick strings as youd do with classical style. Dont give up :thumb:.

groundsclown, they are my idols also. only being 18, i love the old school guitarists. yngwie is one of the best shredders out there. ive tried his signature stratocaster that my friend had and its a shredding machine. the frets are scalloped so i found it really easy to go fast without having to have a dead or flat note. they all read niceley when i played it. downside though is if you dont prefer a light touch then itll sound out of tune because of the excessive bending. nice stack of amps marshalls my second fav brand.

keep em coming guys

Last edited:
I would love to learn to play guitar if I could find one that my hands would fit on. I'm only 4' 11" tall so I have very small hands. I spent years taking piano lessons so reading music isn't an issue. I'd really like to learn classical guitar because I love listening to it.

I do play guitar and bass on Rockband, but that doesn't really count :).

They make fretboards at different sizes on both acoustic and electric, they also make kids guitars... so small hands can't really get in the way of learning. Or try banjo, I just can't wrap my head around it, plus I suck at finger picking so banjo isn't the easiest for me.

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
The advantage to a real person giving lessons is that they will fill in the holes that you didn't know were there in your technique. I don't think I would have ever understood modes, drop backs, relative thirds, etc... without my teacher. It's not cheap but it's worth it. You want to make sure you have a good teacher though, and that means they are good at teaching and you both click. My teacher was the lead guitar for Believer, an Ozzy tribute band. He is Randy Rhodes reincarnate lol.

Right now he has me learning And Justice For All by Metallica, and working on moving through modes melodically with the music Ugha!

To the little handed one. Don't you even think for a second that you cannot play!!! There are tiny folks and there are folks with fingers that make Italian sausage look like cocktail wieners and they can play.

There are 3/4 guitars also that you can get if you really feel like you need it.

love neoclassical metal and even harmonic rock. yeah improvising takes skill, good for you. You took lessons for two years? how are lessons from an actual person? is it easier than learning it online or something? i pretty much taught myself how to play and not to brag, but im fairly good now. im thinking that if i want to get to the very damn good range id have to be taking lessons from a pro. im just worried about the time and money issues :(. I got this far at least.

Surbitonpete, nice video. that would probably be me if i lost my arms. i would never give guitar playing up for anything :cool:. downside is that youd have a really smelly guitar if youve been playing it with your feet lol.

Moonflame, Id say try and do it anyway. its all about technique. i knew a girl who was 4,10 who played flamenco style guitar like a pro. all she does is bend her wrists to make her fingers touch the frets. she said taht having small fingers (diameterwise) makes it way easier to pick strings as youd do with classical style. Dont give up :thumb:.

groundsclown, they are my idols also. only being 18, i love the old school guitarists. yngwie is one of the best shredders out there. ive tried his signature stratocaster that my friend had and its a shredding machine. the frets are scalloped so i found it really easy to go fast without having to have a dead or flat note. they all read niceley when i played it. downside though is if you dont prefer a light touch then itll sound out of tune because of the excessive bending. nice stack of amps marshalls my second fav brand.

keep em coming guys

mace bewley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2009
Rogers AR
I have been playing for a........ let's just say awhile. I play mainly the blues, SRV is the best ever! (Yeah I said it !!) I have a couple acoustic's and a couple stats's, my main sunburst finish has the fender texas special pick-ups Clostest thing I can get to the SRV issue strat. I would love to have the custom shops "Lenny"
But like stated earlier my wife says $12,000 for a guitar is out of the question.

Mace

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
I have been playing for a........ let's just say awhile. I play mainly the blues, SRV is the best ever! (Yeah I said it !!) I have a couple acoustic's and a couple stats's, my main sunburst finish has the fender texas special pick-ups Clostest thing I can get to the SRV issue strat. I would love to have the custom shops "Lenny"
But like stated earlier my wife says $12,000 for a guitar is out of the question.

Mace

Ask her how much 0 is, then point out that there are 3 0s after the twelve. What's the problem???:p

Nestran

HawaiiVapor808

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Hawaii, Big Island
I would love to have the custom shops "Lenny"

Mace

yeah, 12 grand is a lot of money for an instrument. i thought that the 6 thousand yngwie and gilbert guitars were pricey............
This is more people on the forums that played guitar than i expected. so any others out there?

Barbi355

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
NQ Australia
www.sixholetheory.com
ive been playing guitar for about 8 years now. when i was a teenager i played in a lot of bands. I was in a heavy metal band for about 4 years then we just broke up. Duno what happened. We played a LOT of shows, even at Pops in st.louis. I play mostly punk and metal, im a rocker. Im pretty broke, and have kids now, but i would love a Schecter guitar. They are my favorite brand. Right now i just have a B.C Rich mocking bird, and a "Frankenstein" invention of a guitar, that sounds not too bad. Only because its seymore duncan humbucker hehe. I can play bass (of course, if you can play guitar you can play bass) but i started out on drums. Anyways, if you jam a lot, in a band or by yourself, dont give it up. You will miss it

Yea schecter are the bomb! Ive been playing in Six Hole Theory (www.sixholetheory.com) for about 4 years. we're just finishing up in the studio for our new album. we mainly play very heavy/borderline metal/rock, but we tend to throw in some 'radio freindly' tunes as well, keeps the chickies happy :p

i listen to pretty much everything except country. love old school grunge, metal, rock, etc. but, currently i have john butler playing in the car.

First axe is a schecter C1 classic with all the fruit, very nice neck through body with duncan designed pickups. has the vine of life inlay. i use it for my standard tuning songs, and any clean sections. has the best all round tone, and it looks hot!!

Next is also a schecter, its the revenger model with theactive SD pickups. has balls for heavy stuff, not so good on the cleans. i have it tuned to drop A flat for our more, er, darker songs.

Last main use axe is a Eppiphone les paul midnight special. black everything with active EMG's. nice axe. generally stays in drop d, good all round guitar.

i also have a few others lying around and a tackie accoustic that i take to parties for serenading. its always handy to have one of those ;)

my rig is a marshall vs100RH halfstack and i generally use a line6 pod for effects. good loud combo.

generally i used d'addario strings cause ther're pretty cheap for the tone they get, but i fit dean markley blue steels for recording.

oh, and a small tip, if you have a cheapish accoustic, fit it with 10-46 electric strings. you'll be quite suprised by the difference. :)

Comrade Nu

Aug 30, 2009
I have an Alvarez acoustic 6-string and 12-string (can't be bothered for the model numbers, but they're not expensive... sound fantastic though), a Fender (Mexican) HSS Strat, and a black classical cutaway I got for cheap. I also have a Yamaha Custom Z alto sax, my prized posession <3

Any Radiohead fans in here? Jonny Greenwood is my guitar hero, even though guitar isn't his only instrument by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread