Do you still crave/like the smell of real cigarettes since switching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting topic because we're all different and it might give newcomers some idea of what to expect long term if they continue vaping.

I personally hate the smell of second hand smoke now...it is truly revolting to me and I cannot imagine how or why I used to smoke 20 a day in 2012.
But my God, if someone was to take my vape gear off me I would go mental! I love the smell and taste of my particular brand of e liquid. Nothing compares.
Other people alternate between the two and others yet no longer smoke but still enjoy the smell of a real cigarette.

How long have you been vaping?
Do you still smoke real cigarettes?
Do you still crave and/or enjoy the smell of real cigarettes
OR
Does the smell and idea of real cigarettes offend you?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I was amazed at how much I hated the smell after quitting for vaping. Also it amazed me how far away I could smell cigarette smoke. My neighbors smoke and if they were in their yard smoking and I was outside it smelled terrible. I used to get mad at people that would cough, wave their hand in front of their face, and give me a dirty look because I was smoking in their presence. I thought the were being melodramatic and just trying to be an icehole but now I know it really is a disturbing smell. I still think they are iceholes though. Also if a person who smokes has a dog at the dog park and I pet him/her I can smell the stinky smoke on their coat. When that happens I always give the pup a talking to about the dangers of cigarettes but they never seem to care. I think it’s due to their short life span that dogs generally don’t worry about the dangers of smoking. They just live every day as if it was their last. I envy them for the ability to do this. I just got way of track but yes I do notice the smell of secondhand smoke and dislike it.

At first i still liked it, but luckly my sis is smokin so i EVERY time after she smokes, tell her she stinks like a garbage. SO after a while i started to hate that garbage smell and never turned back :) Still, smoke smell with few fragrances make a great bussinessy smell, but overall i hate smoke smell and 1000x more after smell of a smokers.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I've been vaping exclusively for nearly 4 years and I can smell cigarette smoke from a long way off even when I can't see anyone smoking. It is rather revolting now and find it unpleasant to take a deep breath as long as I'm smelling it. I'm glad I don't live near anyone who smokes or work where there is any smoking.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
I used to smoke up to 4 PPD (unfiltered) plus a can of snus. I managed to quit overnight, even with the primitive e-cigs of the day - stick batteries and cartos. I found that I really disliked the tobacco flavored e-juices within a month or two. I never needed another smoke or dip of snus nor craved one. (I did smoke a single (actually partial - ugh!) "commitment cig" on my vapiversary for a couple of years, but forgot on my 3rd or 4th, and never did it again.) That was a bit over six years ago.

When I first began vaping, I tended to hang out with smokers when they went to "smoking allowed" locations - usually outdoors. I'm not sure whether it was for the camaraderie or for the smell of the smoke (more sidestream than secondhand). This went on for two or three years after I quit. It took me that long to begin to dislike even small amounts of tobacco smoke (whether sidestream, secondhand, or stale (the worst)). Now, at 6+ years, I can hang out with smokers (at least outdoors with a breeze), but now I'm sure it's for socializing, because I certainly no longer like the smell at all.

How much I now dislike the smell of smoking (even smokers who are not actually smoking at the moment) drives home to me (and still embarrasses me) just how offensive I was as a 4 PPD smoker. I was really a nasty-smelling person for the 45 years that I smoked. I am astounded at what my family and friends were willing to put up with.

I now vape totally unflavored e-juice (I vape exclusively for the nicotine - a lot of it; 65 mg/ml). As a side note, when I quit using flavoring in my e-juices, my wife commented that the vapor no longer smelled "perfumey"; not bad exactly, but perfumey. (It was very small amounts of Sour Cherry or Sour Green Apple.) So, depending on the strength and type of flavors that vapers use, it may be possible to still offend to some extent.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am one of those freaks who doesn't dislike the smell of cigarette smoke at all, be it stale, be it fresh, whatever. I wasn't expecting that to change with vaping, as I went 18 months without smoking at all while pregnant and nursing and the smell of cigarettes still smelt great that whole time. I will say I NOTICE it now and enough to understand how those sensitive to smoke must have HATED the way I smelled.

With that said, my dad was a smoker when I was very young, I think I just got used to the smell (he did a lot of sneak-smoking in my presence when my mom was wanting him to quit, LOL). I theorize I just got used to it or there was something comforting about that smell.

I did tell the husband he smelt bad as he was approaching quitting, but that was more to add motivation than the actual truth. He could smoker forever and I would not care, smell wise. The hacking up a lung I could live without. He's still dual using, but only about 4 cigarettes a day. I try to catch him on some of those, LOL.

Alcohol still smells great to me too, that doesn't mean I have to drink it. :)

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
One of my coworker smokes heavily and pretty much always gets too close whenever he's talking to me, no need to say i gag or choke everytime because of the intense smoke smell.

Overall cannot stand cigarettes smoke at all these days,which imo is kinds funny considering the size of the clouds i blow :lol:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It's an interesting topic because we're all different and it might give newcomers some idea of what to expect long term if they continue vaping.

I personally hate the smell of second hand smoke now...it is truly revolting to me and I cannot imagine how or why I used to smoke 20 a day in 2012.
But my God, if someone was to take my vape gear off me I would go mental! I love the smell and taste of my particular brand of e liquid. Nothing compares.
Other people alternate between the two and others yet no longer smoke but still enjoy the smell of a real cigarette.

How long have you been vaping?
Do you still smoke real cigarettes?
Do you still crave and/or enjoy the smell of real cigarettes?
OR
Does the smell and idea of real cigarettes offend you?

Been vaping for 5 years & a few days.
Haven't smoked or held a lit cigarette since I quit.
Yes, I enjoy the smell of tobacco/cigarettes.
No, the smell and idea of real cigarettes doesn't offend me.
I can smell smoldering tobacco from a much greater distance than when I smoked.

I vape primarily tobacco flavors, real tobaccos no added sweeteners or flavorings, no blends of, essence or hint of anything but tobaccos. About 15% of the time unflavored, 5% fruit such as green apple watermelon.

Even after 5 years I still get the occasional intense craving to smoke, as time goes by the frequency has decreased.

What I find substantially more offensive is the odor of most other folks exhaled vapor.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I notice it more but doesn't bother me, that much, I remember being a smoker so maybe that's why. I have friends that smoke still and I'l ask to see their cigarettes, just to smell the pack. I have to say I still love that sweet smell of unlit tobacco but not in a sense of craving one, if that makes sense.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Within the first week I started to notice the smell. Find it horid.
Walking by those outdoor ashtrays I can smell the old cigs, I can smell it on people, it amazes me still 4-5 months later.

My son has cmented quite a bit that he doesn't miss the cig smell. Can't believe I never smelled it, and I walked around smelling that way for 20 years.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I notice it more but doesn't bother me, that much, I remember being a smoker so maybe that's why. I have friends that smoke still and I'l ask to see their cigarettes, just to smell the pack. I have to say I still love that sweet smell of unlit tobacco but not in a sense of craving one, if that makes sense.
I agree with the smell of unlit tobacco. It is a great smell that I thoroughly enjoy, but the second it’s lit and I’m out. Maybe that’s why I vape and love tobacco juices being that they are “unlit”.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I began vaping in August of this year after smoking 20-30 per day for 40+ years. I still smoke, but since mid-December only 1 or 2 a day. I spend time a couple days a week with a friend who pretty much chain smokes Marlboro lights. The smell does not bother me.

What has begun to change is the way my brand of cigarettes (American Spirit Black) tastes to me. I lit one up on new year's day and it tasted terrible - I put it out half way through - something I never do. The same thing has happened a couple of times since then. That is surprising to me and maybe the sign that my dual using is coming to an end.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Good luck, @tgs3! That's about when I knew my dual use was almost at an end. I became quite annoyed by the fact that cigarettes were tasting "not good" and also really NOT giving me the same amount of satisfaction that they were not to mention I started "feeling" bad-- like, noticing how tight my chest felt or coughing and whatnot. I was both annoyed/grateful, but dual use ended for the most part thereafter. Oh, I fell of the wagon a few times during stressful situations, but I made sure to smoke enough that I felt more than sorry the next day.... :)

I had no idea I was a "stress" smoker most of all, but apparently I am. The cigs I crave most are in the middle of horrible, stressful times. I'm going to need to find a good coping skill to deal with those HORRID cravings, which are really my worst. I've gone so far as to light one... then toss it away.

When I took that "What kind of smoker are you," quiz during a quitting class once, I scored high in every area. It was somewhat discouraging at the time, but I come to find out that STRESS is my biggest trigger.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you tgs3, but in whatever case, just keep on going you are doing fantastic! :)

Anna

miteret

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2016
S.L.C., UTAH
When I was a smoker, I didn't understand how repugnant my habit must have been to others. Now I understand, as I can smell a smoker if I'm within 5 feet of them. Amazing that after 63 years of smoking, I've developed a keen sense of smell. Haven't wanted a stinky since I started vaping - two years ago, I'm very fortunate. I do indulge in an occasional cigar and single malt with my son.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have no idea how I ever tolerated the habit of smoking. Now second hand cigarette smoke gags and chokes me and burns my throat. My reaction is nearly convulsive. I actually feel bad about that as my wife still smokes. I don't want to give her the impression that I am chastising her in any way as I smoked for a very long time. I think she understands.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Good luck, @tgs3! That's about when I knew my dual use was almost at an end. I became quite annoyed by the fact that cigarettes were tasting "not good" and also really NOT giving me the same amount of satisfaction that they were not to mention I started "feeling" bad-- like, noticing how tight my chest felt or coughing and whatnot. I was both annoyed/grateful, but dual use ended for the most part thereafter. Oh, I fell of the wagon a few times during stressful situations, but I made sure to smoke enough that I felt more than sorry the next day.... :)

I had no idea I was a "stress" smoker most of all, but apparently I am. The cigs I crave most are in the middle of horrible, stressful times. I'm going to need to find a good coping skill to deal with those HORRID cravings, which are really my worst. I've gone so far as to light one... then toss it away.

When I took that "What kind of smoker are you," quiz during a quitting class once, I scored high in every area. It was somewhat discouraging at the time, but I come to find out that STRESS is my biggest trigger.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you tgs3, but in whatever case, just keep on going you are doing fantastic! :)

Anna

Thanks, I really appreciate the support. The support from this community is amazing. I was an all situation smoker - I was happy to smoke in virtually any situation. But since I started vaping, I most longed for a cig in stressful times. Since beginning to vape over five months ago I fell off the wagon two or three times and smoked up a storm for a day or two. Each of those cases was one in which I found myself in a high stress situation. I now know that smoking does not relieve stress one iota, and I simply have to chain vape through difficult times.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
after 6 years, I can detect smoke much better. I'm always surprised when someone comes in from a smoke break and sits back down, how strong the smell is. I can't believe I thought I was any different. But, no, it doesn't bother me and I don't find it offensive. I don't find it pleasant, either. If anything, the smell of cigarette smoke makes me very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread