Do you Vape more when using Lower Nicotine Strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Two factors determine how often I subconsciously vape.

One is the nicotine strength. I vape mostly lightly flavored 24 mg/ml 50/50 DIY but buy my commercial juices in 18 mg/ml so I will/can hit it more frequently. I vape right at 1/3 more juice in 18 as I do in 24.

The second is vaping power, which for me using mechs, is the inverse of coil resistance. I run both 0.5Ω and 0.8Ω, the latter being my commute/work resistance. With 24 mg/ml and these lower resistances, I can take a hit or two, sit it down, and be good for 10-15 minutes or more of productive work. At home, particularly with the 18 mg/ml commercial juices, I use 1.5 - 2.0Ω and am hitting it almost constantly. Not quite so much with the 24 mg/ml.

That's my experience.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Transitions take a little time. When I dropped from 24mg to 18mg I vaped a little harder until I adjusted. Then, I dropped to 12mg and the same thing happened. Give yourself a month at the lower level before dropping again.

I'm happy at 12mg and plan to work my way down to 8mg soon. We'll see what happens there. I'm thinking it won't be much of a problem at all.

DJLEC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Union City, California
One thing you can do if you feel the drop from 24 to 18 is too big, but you want to reduce... Get a bottle of 18 and a bottle of 24 and mix them together (same flavor unless you are feeling adventurous) in equal amounts. That will give you a level of 21 mg/ml, in between the other two. This way you can drop more gradually.

I have some favorite flavors that I will be doing this with - I call it Cutting.

In the time frame that I have started Vaping it was; 18mg, 15mg, and I am now comfortable on 12mg. Have also made a shift when I return home from Work to Vape 6mg and this is working for me to sleep better and I just need something to puff on.

When I burn off my stash of 12mg I will be moving to 9mg. I do not feel that I need to Vape continously dropping to the lower mg other than habit for me.

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Nic level is directly related to how good of vape gear you are using. I used to use 24 mg nic when I had an ego and protank. Now that I have a high quality regulated mod and several great mechanical mods, and excellent re-buildable atomizers, rba's, I have to vape at 12 mg because the nic delivery is so much more intense. I couldn't possibly vape 24 mg on my gear and the watts that I vape at and walk around without falling. I am thinking of dropping down to 10 mg, because after a 20 minute vape break at work, I sometimes get to much of a nic buzz, was just glad my first table on my break string tonight was B.J. and not roulette so that I had a mindless game to deal and didn't have to think. lmao

If 24 mg nic is working for you, I wouldn't worry about it, once you start upgrading your gear, if you choose to that is, your body will tell you when to cut down the nic level. Usually in the form of blurry vision, stumbling, lightheadedness, and a sense of euphoria and not caring much about anything.

I mix my own juice so it is easy for my to adjust my nic levels as needed.

DanCullen

Jan 9, 2014
PA, USA
I am 30 + year smoker and was smoking a pack and a half of light cigs three months ago. After trying an automtic E-Cig I ordered an ego syle manual e-cig with some 24mg juice. Snce then I have bought a MOD and mix my own juice. I have progressively reduced my nic level from 24mg to 18mg to my current level of 10mg. While with each change their may have been periods of heavy vaping my usage levels have remained pretty constant - about 10 2.0 mg tanks a week.

tbaz

Oct 16, 2013
Arizona
I started at 32 and now stay between 6 - 18 depending on what device I am using and ohms I am vaping at. But from the start that was my plan back off cigs and back down on nic. Each drop was really taste and throat hit dependent. When I started tasting and "feeling" the nic more I dropped. There was a few days, after a drop, that I seemed a little more on edge...time to adjust. I wanted to go down so I did not compensate by more vaping. Gave it a few days if it worked stayed there if not went back up.

When I got into various devices like a Kayfu/Russion and sub it concentrated the vape more and I could really feel the throat hit difference of the same nic level on differeent toppers.

No way could I use a 18 or higher nic when I went into sub ohm land. I would just cough and there was no enjoyment. I dropped to 6 or below for my sub ohm vapes.

Now it is all about enjoyment and I fluctuate based on the tpe of vapoing and device. 12 is now my high end and I even have some ) if I decide to go cloud chasing for a night.

I went from a chain smoker to a chain vaper so unless I figure out how to vape in my sleep I am not sure there is more vaping I can do. Now I am off analogs, my nic sems balanced out, the amount of time I vape is next.

TBAZ

Nic level is directly related to how good of vape gear you are using. I used to use 24 mg nic when I had an ego and protank. Now that I have a high quality regulated mod and several great mechanical mods, and excellent re-buildable atomizers, rba's, I have to vape at 12 mg because the nic delivery is so much more intense. I couldn't possibly vape 24 mg on my gear and the watts that I vape at and walk around without falling. I am thinking of dropping down to 10 mg, because after a 20 minute vape break at work, I sometimes get to much of a nic buzz, was just glad my first table on my break string tonight was B.J. and not roulette so that I had a mindless game to deal and didn't have to think. lmao

If 24 mg nic is working for you, I wouldn't worry about it, once you start upgrading your gear, if you choose to that is, your body will tell you when to cut down the nic level. Usually in the form of blurry vision, stumbling, lightheadedness, and a sense of euphoria and not caring much about anything.

I mix my own juice so it is easy for my to adjust my nic levels as needed.

Thanks guys. I've been at 21mg today & I'm Vaping about the same. I agree dice57- our bodies & minds let us know how we're going. "blurry vision, stumbling. lightheadedness & euphoria..." that's a good day for me- just kidding. LoL. Like I said in my original post- I haven't had any adverse effects so I figure I am using a good amount for me.

Thanks to all re: information on variable voltage devices & the general use of lower nicotine with sub ohm devices (whatever that means... :unsure: sorry, I haven't grasped variable voltage mech's yet)

I think my equipment is quite tame. A) a standard (non twist) ego with CE4, Evod, & T3 clearomizers. Today, I started using a Protank Clearomizer with 21 mg of Baja juice (Yum!)- it's very smooth but weighty compared to the cig-a-like I also use.

I still like the cig-a-like... :blink: It makes me feel secure as I gave up the analogues with cig-a-likes & I haven't had any problems with them. If people are reading this & wondering about cig-a-likes- please fill your own cartomizers as the pre-filled don't last long & they get hot when they run out...

My Ce4 leaked over night- damn & blast- it had my 2nd favorite juice in it (Classic Tobacco- nice!); luckily it was only about 1/3 full. I am hoping it's leaking was my fault... I don't think I had the mouth piece on tight enough..? If it leaks again overnight I'll throw it out & use a new one.

Anyhow, thanks all for sharing your stories & helping me to chill out in regards to my nicotine strength & Vaping usage. All Is well. :2cool:

Happy Vaping! :toast:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I don't know if I can be much help, because I was a chain smoker...so it was a forgone conclusion that I would be a chain vaper. But perhaps my experience will tell you something.

I started at 24mg and about 5 mil per day. At that time I was using standard cartos (no tanks) and cig-sized batteries. After 2-3 months, I was getting woozy and anxiety and sleeplessness. What I called running around like a headless chicken. My body was telling me to cut down. Incidentally, I also had to cut other stimulants like caffeine and sweets.

I also did it in stages. First 18mg, then 15mg, down to 12mg and 9mg. Today after 17 months I'm using 7.5mg. I may to go to 6mg soon. Each time I dropped, it was because my body was telling me to cut down.

I do go thru 7-8 mil per day (sometimes more), but I'm using more advanced tanks and lower resistant coils, so they burn thru more juice with more vapor. I'm sure I'm using more liquid, just not sure if I'm vaping more often.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's easy to drop down in nic content. Just order the same favorite juice in quantities where mixing the two in equal quantities will give you what you need. I'm vaping from a mix of 0mg and 24mg right now for a 12mg mix. I'll eventually order 0 and 18 to make 9mg juice. I do that for quantity purposes and cost reduction. 50ml bottles mixed give me 100ml of juice and the 0mg bottle costs a little over half of what 24mg costs where I order (Madvapes). I get 100ml of juice for about $22.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
A) I am feeling like perhaps I should try to lower my nicotine level, at least to 18mg or even 12mg down the track. I have tried 18mg- & it seemed fine, but I feel just fine using 24mg too. And I like 24mg- it just feels right- for now anyway. But, people here say 24mg is for ex heavy smokers...? And a lot of Vaper's consider 24mg to be high..?
I smoked RYO 1 1/2 PAD and began at 36 mg X 50- 60 ml per week. I wasn't sleeping well/ having weird dreams and Vets recommended I lower my evening Nic level which resolved the issue. I've converted many and have found the general starting mg is either 18 or 24 mg. During my first 2 yrs I lowered mt Nic level:
6 months- 36- 30
12 months- 30- 24
15 months- 24- 18
18 months- 18- 12
20 months- 12 to 8
Over the final 4 months I lowered down to 2 mg but I always had a higher Nic level juice for stress full times. Over that 2 yr period I sometimes realized I "may" have gone down too fast and had to readjust my Nic levels- every step down in Nic wasn't always successful and what I found for me was it was very important to not have any set rules and/ or goals.
To be honest around the 1 year mark I realized I was more addicted to the hand to mouth action than the actual Nicotine...many times I'd get busy on a project and would forget about vaping for hours on end.
Also, I have heard that nicotine effects the cardio-vascular system... which makes me want to keep an eye on nicotine usage.
Straight from my GP's mouth- highly regarded within the Medical Community and Sports world. He's always been honest and upfront with me and when we discussed vaping at length he told me Nicotine is a double edged sword. On one hand it restricts blood flow yet on the other hand it promotes new blood vessel growth. He believed in the beginning it was more important to stimulate blood vessel growth in my gums BUT also suggested I eventually cut my Nic intake. On the other hand there are suggestions that Nicotine may be beneficial for some senior age related health issues so I'm still open minded to the thought of vaping Nicotine if it can assist me in a beneficial way- still researching/ waiting for more data.
In brief it said that the higher the nicotine used, the more "relaxed" a person will feel. And the lower the nicotine used, the more "stimulated" one feels. Is this a fact? It makes sense to me in a round-a-bout sort of way, as I probably prefer feeling "relaxed" than "stimulated... hence my preference of high 24mg nicotine... 'tis Curious indeed.
Nicotine is both a stimulant and a relaxant.
Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body, causing a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, heart rate and respiration.
In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other abused drugs and is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations many smokers experience. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.
At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use.

Realize Nicotine delivery via vaping is an extremely inefficient delivery system- the vapor particles are too large to enter the bloodstream via the lungs- most absorption takes place in the mouth and nasal passage.
I now only vape zero juice on weekends, at parties and in stressful situations...for me the hand to mouth is still very comforting.

Last edited:
I smoked RYO 1 1/2 PAD and began at 36 mg X 50- 60 ml per week. I wasn't sleeping well/ having weird dreams and Vets recommended I lower my evening Nic level which resolved the issue. I've converted many and have found the general starting mg is either 18 or 24 mg. During my first 2 yrs I lowered mt Nic level:
6 months- 36- 30
12 months- 30- 24
15 months- 24- 18
18 months- 18- 12
20 months- 12 to 8
Over the final 4 months I lowered down to 2 mg but I always had a higher Nic level juice for stress full times. Over that 2 yr period I sometimes realized I "may" have gone down too fast and had to readjust my Nic levels- every step down in Nic wasn't always successful and what I found for me was it was very important to not have any set rules and/ or goals.
To be honest around the 1 year mark I realized I was more addicted to the hand to mouth action than the actual Nicotine...many times I'd get busy on a project and would forget about vaping for hours on end.

Straight from my GP's mouth- highly regarded within the Medical Community and Sports world. He's always been honest and upfront with me and when we discussed vaping at length he told me Nicotine is a double edged sword. On one hand it restricts blood flow yet on the other hand it promotes new blood vessel growth. He believed in the beginning it was more important to stimulate blood vessel growth in my gums BUT also suggested I eventually cut my Nic intake. On the other hand there are suggestions that Nicotine may be beneficial for some senior age related health issues so I'm still open minded to the thought of vaping Nicotine if it can assist me in a beneficial way- still researching/ waiting for more data.

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a relaxant.
Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body, causing a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, heart rate and respiration.
In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other abused drugs and is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations many smokers experience. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.
At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use.

Realize Nicotine delivery via vaping is an extremely inefficient delivery system- the vapor particles are too large to enter the bloodstream via the lungs- most absorption takes place in the mouth and nasal passage.
I now only vape zero juice on weekends, at parties and in stressful situations...for me the hand to mouth is still very comforting.

Thank you, thank you vapor eyes er "aka= Guru"; your post is very informative & makes a lot of sense. I soooo appreciate you sharing your Vaper journey (& thanks for the "likes").

I feel so happy Vaping & reading all the lovely, intelligent & humorous posts on ECF. And it's an honor for me that you have replied to my post with invaluable information. I totally can relate to the "dopamine" effect in relation to pleasure & motivation. I used to enjoy a ciggie (now I prefer to Vape) before leaving the house to go to work &/or achieving a task. But when I'm out n about I don't really crave a Vape...

And I like the calming effect of "serotonin" that nicotine seems to enhance. I am a bit of an anxious person (I have a restless mind) & thus I enjoy a relaxing Vape/Nicotine (But I never overdo it). I suppose that's also why I need my daily 30-45 minutes of power walking or swimming laps; as it does wonders re: calming the both the mind and body. And it's such a treat at the end of the day to have a few Vapes...

I appreciate you letting me know that cutting the nicotine takes time & patience & that there is no set formula. I've found with my new ego & Protank that 24mg was too high- it made me cough & buy did it have a kick... woooh!!! So I added some 18mg & am comfortably using 21mg on the Protank now- but I still can only have a few drawers at a time.

Whereas I am using 18mg on my CE4 clearomizer, comfortably & I can Vape more.. but not a lot more. I shall work down to 12mg in about 6months time... Interestingly, I still like 24mg on my cig-a-likes.? But I guess cig-a-likes leave a lot to be desired- i.e. they're very tame.

Thanks everyone for your stories & bless America. You guys are so nice. Sorry, but many blogs/forums etc here in Australia aren't nearly as friendly. By the way it is 8pm here in the outer northern suburbs of Melbourne & would you believe it is 42 dg Celsius (that's 107.6 Fahrenheit)- at 8pm- oiks it's hot. It reached 45 degrees Celsius here (that's 113 dg Fahrenheit) today. What a scorcher!! I hope my e-liquid bottles don't melt- Lol. :p

Cheerio & Happy Vaping everyone! :toast:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Thank you, thank you vapor eyes er "aka= Guru"; your post is very informative & makes a lot of sense. I soooo appreciate you sharing your Vaper journey (& thanks for the "likes").
You're very welcome shazyzen. GURU :confused: it's just a label for me having a big mouth and posting lots :laugh: We all just gather info from Vets that helped us and pass it on. I can guarantee that this thread will be of help to someone sooo you're already doing your part :thumbs:
I appreciate you letting me know that cutting the nicotine takes time & patience & that there is no set formula.
I have one convert that smoked 1 PAD and began vaping zero Nicotine juice. He's now been smoke and vape free for 9 months so different folks/ different strokes.
Thanks everyone for your stories & bless America.You guys are so nice. Sorry, but many blogs/forums etc here in Australia aren't nearly as friendly.
God Bless Australia and all her good folk. Yeah there can be some pretty miserable ornery people out there hiding behind their PCs. Just glad you're comfortable and happy here.
By the way it is 8pm here in the outer northern suburbs of Melbourne & would you believe it is 42 dg Celsius (that's 107.6 Fahrenheit)- at 8pm- oiks it's hot. It reached 45 degrees Celsius here (that's 113 dg Fahrenheit) today. What a scorcher!! I hope my e-liquid bottles don't melt- Lol.
It was -40 Celsius 2 weeks ago and now is around 1 degree Celsius.

Cheers and have a GREAT day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread