doc pleased I'm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Hmm, I just went to a new doctor last week for checking on my diabetes. He asked if I smoked and I said that after 32 years of smoking between 1 and 4 packs a day, I had quit..... Although, I do the vaping thing now. He only said to me "You have to cut that .... out too". Not even a good for you.....

Year and a half +/- now tobacco free. Best part to me is not that I breathe better (although I really DO breathe better), the best part to me is that I simply don't stink anymore and have to feel embarrassed if I run out to the store on the weekend without taking a shower first.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hmm, I just went to a new doctor last week for checking on my diabetes. He asked if I smoked and I said that after 32 years of smoking between 1 and 4 packs a day, I had quit..... Although, I do the vaping thing now. He only said to me "You have to cut that **** out too". Not even a good for you.....

Year and a half +/- now tobacco free. Best part to me is not that I breathe better (although I really DO breathe better), the best part to me is that I simply don't stink anymore and have to feel embarrassed if I run out to the store on the weekend without taking a shower first.

It would make more sense to cut that idiot doctor out. :D I can understand the general populace being so ignernt they fall for all the BS, but a doctor is supposed to be smarter than that! :facepalm:

Andria

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
My GP was very happy and supportive of my switch to vaping and a few of the other GP's were enthusiastic and wanted more information about vaping so it ended the 20+ years of nagging about my smoking. For the most part GP's in the UK are very happy and supportive of the switch to vaping but we do have a few that have fallen for the anti vaping sides rubbish but in my experience it's a small number. At the other end of the spectrum we have hospital trusts banning vaping left, right and centre it's a very confused approach.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
My doc gave up recommending I try NRT.. he knew it was a total waste of breath. And much the same is true of many of his older-smoker patients.... So from his perspective, vapor is not evil at all, it's downright miraculous!

He's nearly 63, so probably hasn't got a lot of use for the AMA, being near the end of his career. I just hope he doesn't get any ideas about retirement in a couple years. :D

Andria

In the UK, most pharmacies are running a government quit scheme - I had the quick mist nicotine mouth spray and lozenges. The lozenges didn't suit me at all, most of them are still in a box somewhere, the quickmist was OK but a nasty shock when the time limited scheme ran out - I took up snuff for about a year to replace it, but that was costing just as much as smoking.

Then I saw someone come out of a shop and immediately fire up a cig-alike, I asked; "do those things actually work?" - minutes later I was in the shop buying one. Although it got me started, I don't really think the cig-alikes are fit for purpose - it didn't take me long to order from Liberty-Flights something I could re-fill and re-wire.

Reactions: Caro123

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
In the UK, most pharmacies are running a government quit scheme - I had the quick mist nicotine mouth spray and lozenges. The lozenges didn't suit me at all, most of them are still in a box somewhere, the quickmist was OK but a nasty shock when the time limited scheme ran out - I took up snuff for about a year to replace it, but that was costing just as much as smoking.

Then I saw someone come out of a shop and immediately fire up a cig-alike, I asked; "do those things actually work?" - minutes later I was in the shop buying one. Although it got me started, I don't really think the cig-alikes are fit for purpose - it didn't take me long to order from Liberty-Flights something I could re-fill and re-wire.

The only schemes the US gov't runs are those which put more money in their pockets, or the pockets of their contributors, like big pharma. Turns out, they never actually wanted ANYONE to quit smoking, they were just using that as a cudgel to bludgeon us with, and make smokers the newest hated minority... to keep people busy hating the smokers, rather than the gov't. Now that folks are actually quitting, oh, horrors!

I think cigalikes are really more of a "proof of concept" than anything else. I got to the point of quitting, using eRolls (which CAN be refilled.. like every 10 minutes!), but I dunno if I could have stuck with it, using those. Fortunately I upgraded to a vv3+T3S on my very first full day as a non-smoker, so I never had to find out.

Andria

Reactions: mattiem

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
The only schemes the US gov't runs are those which put more money in their pockets, or the pockets of their contributors, like big pharma. Turns out, they never actually wanted ANYONE to quit smoking, they were just using that as a cudgel to bludgeon us with, and make smokers the newest hated minority... to keep people busy hating the smokers, rather than the gov't. Now that folks are actually quitting, oh, horrors!

I think cigalikes are really more of a "proof of concept" than anything else. I got to the point of quitting, using eRolls (which CAN be refilled.. like every 10 minutes!), but I dunno if I could have stuck with it, using those. Fortunately I upgraded to a vv3+T3S on my very first full day as a non-smoker, so I never had to find out.

Andria

In the UK, smokers and drinkers are hit with heavy taxes which we are told makes up for what we will eventually cost the NHS.

The current bunch of crooks in government want to do away with the NHS - what they really need to do is tackle the "NHS tourists" - people who jump off the plane, then make a bee line for the nearest hospital and fall over with some expensive disease.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
In the UK, smokers and drinkers are hit with heavy taxes which we are told makes up for what we will eventually cost the NHS.

The current bunch of crooks in government want to do away with the NHS - what they really need to do is tackle the "NHS tourists" - people who jump off the plane, then make a bee line for the nearest hospital and fall over with some expensive disease.

Yeah we get those taxes too, for the same ostensible reason, but the difference is that we don't have any such animal as "NHS" here... it's all private insurance, and if you can't afford it (like me), then you have no health-care insurance at all.

Andria

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Yeah we get those taxes too, for the same ostensible reason, but the difference is that we don't have any such animal as "NHS" here... it's all private insurance, and if you can't afford it (like me), then you have no health-care insurance at all.

Andria

When the pain gets too much - wear a brightly coloured money belt and go for a walk on the wrong side of the tracks.

I was wondering where to get those cyanide capsules like Hitler and his henchmen used - I sort of fear that I didn't quit smoking soon enough!

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I saw a new to me doctor at the clinic just today. I think she is a keeper. Her reply to my question about vaping---It is better than smoking and she congratulated me on my 3 1/2 smoke free years after 45+ years of smoking :banana:

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
I've been using a 510 on a 18650 battery almost since I began vaping, unfortunately it hasn't stopped me from smoking. My doctor is a little Indian guy who hasn't been overbearing about quitting smoking, but it is always mentioned. I have had two types of cancer, went through chemotherapy, had a kidney removed and still couldn't kick the smokes. I also have diabetes from the chemo and that is the reason I go to this doctor, and he watches me like hawk. I've tried Chantix which nearly drove me to suicide, patches, gum and hypnosis all to no avail. Last time I saw my doc he noted lung issues on my last scan from the oncologist.

So he tells me, "You must quit smoking, have you tried the e-cigarette?" A little shocked I said I have but not any of the new ones. He then says, "Spend the money, get a good one and blow out lots of vapor." I was in awe, this guy gets it, and he's my doctor. Yea!

So, I took my doctor's advice, did some research, and ended up with an Innokin Coolfire IV, Innokin MVP 3.0 Pro, and a couple Kanger Subtanks Mini's. I have since cut back to one or two cigarettes a day and sometimes none! The thing is I am not even really trying to quit smoking, just wanted to cut as far back as possible - and now it seems none may be possible. I am now excited to go back to my doctor and tell him his push got me off smokes. I hope he will be as happy as I am.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
I've been using a 510 on a 18650 battery almost since I began vaping, unfortunately it hasn't stopped me from smoking. My doctor is a little Indian guy who hasn't been overbearing about quitting smoking, but it is always mentioned. I have had two types of cancer, went through chemotherapy, had a kidney removed and still couldn't kick the smokes. I also have diabetes from the chemo and that is the reason I go to this doctor, and he watches me like hawk. I've tried Chantix which nearly drove me to suicide, patches, gum and hypnosis all to no avail. Last time I saw my doc he noted lung issues on my last scan from the oncologist.

So he tells me, "You must quit smoking, have you tried the e-cigarette?" A little shocked I said I have but not any of the new ones. He then says, "Spend the money, get a good one and blow out lots of vapor." I was in awe, this guy gets it, and he's my doctor. Yea!

So, I took my doctor's advice, did some research, and ended up with an Innokin Coolfire IV, Innokin MVP 3.0 Pro, and a couple Kanger Subtanks Mini's. I have since cut back to one or two cigarettes a day and sometimes none! The thing is I am not even really trying to quit smoking, just wanted to cut as far back as possible - and now it seems none may be possible. I am now excited to go back to my doctor and tell him his push got me off smokes. I hope he will be as happy as I am.
You got some good gear! And a wise doc!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

That's the most wonderful thing I've heard all day. Way to go, both you and your doc! Please stick around with the rest of us vaping success stories... even if we are just anecdotes. :D I certainly never thought I could quit, after 39 yrs of smoking and 4 times trying to quit before, but e-cigs proved me wrong. :thumb:

:thumbs:
Andria

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire

Snuff is another possibility - I used it for about a year before I discovered ecigs, I still keep a tin of snuff in my pocket for those odd sticky moments when just the ecig isn't enough.

Its still tobacco with many of the unpleasant characteristics - but at least it doesn't line your lungs with soot.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I don't know about my doctor, but the dental hygienist who's been cleaning my teeth since the 80's is pretty happy. The last 2 times I saw her, she just went on and on about what the smokes did to my mouth, what to expect and how dramatic the difference she was seeing was. Though she did have to ask if I has a long term plan on kicking vaping....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread