Does anybody know where to find tobacco flavored flavoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
First question. In the tiny quantities used, the oil, being unavoidable, must be acceptable, as this is a variety of the exact same tobacco flavoring as being used by commercial manufacturers. Others have argued very small quantities of oil should not be considered troubling, for example 1 drop of clove oil in 10ml. solution (a preferred solution). We do know that flavorings, including the tobacco absolutes and essences are one of the things ultimately clogging up the atomizers anyway. And we are looking at methods to try to keep the atomizers clean. What else are you going to do?

Second question. This tobacco absolute is a variety of the exact same tobacco flavoring as being used by commercial manufacturers and apparently the only variety available to us that is useful in the quantities we would use as individuals. It remains unclear as to what specific variety it is (Virginia?). Of the three or four types of tobacco absolutes and essences I've seen used in commercial e-liquid blends, often in combinations, e.g. Tobacco Absolute Oriental, Tobacco Absolute Burley, Tobacco Absolute Virginia (and possibly another) I have not been able to find a source of these specifically outside of the possibility of bulk orders from someplace like India into which I have not investigated.

Therefore, these appeared to be the only source available to us for a tobacco absolute which will impart a variety of tobacco flavoring and aroma. But in the absence of the specific varieties used in commercial manufacture, it does not give us the ability to mix and match to approximate the qualities any of the major custom blends with any certainty.

If anyone else is able to locate a source for all of the delightful varieties advertised in quantities useful to us please post on here.

I was given a heads up (see above) concerning a vendor with a different product providing an alternate source of actual tobacco flavoring, so I ordered some and will give it a try and compare:

There is a likelihood that this new alternative will give us another option in that it may be based upon a variety other than the absolutes that have been found so far and which are available in useful quantities that we can order directly. It is also possible that this new alternative is a blend of more than one of the tobacco absolutes and essences currently used in the manufacture of commercial e-liquids. As such, with this new alternative we now have choices. The hope is that with the choices available to us now we will have a solution that offers an appealing flavor and aroma for our own custom DIY tobacco flavoring or blend.

SEE: Eliquid Flavoring

SINCE I PLACED MY ORDER FOR THIS PRODUCT SUCCESSFULLY IT IS NOW OUT OF STOCK!

Let's hope they have this product back in stock and available to order again soon.

Last edited:

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
THIS E-LIQUID FLAVORING "TOBACCO FLAVOR"
I emailed the company days ago asking them to clarify more specifically what this product is in contrast to, say, a tobacco absolute and also requested mixing instructions.

They never responded.

The product I received is a mostly clear liquid, slightly amber and has no odor of tobacco whatsoever that I can smell. I have no idea what this stuff even is.

The vendor has now replied and informed me my original email ended up in the junk mail folder. He doesn't know what it is either but is inclined to believe it is a diluted solution of some form of a tobacco absolute. So he's making an inquiry to try and find this out. My greatest interest is in determining then, specifically what tobacco absolutes or essences it may be derived from to establish if this offers anything new over the other tobacco absolutes we've already determined to be available.

Last edited:

mindtwist69

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Let me go ahead and reiterate what I just wrote jb in an pm. I received a pm today asking about my unanswering of his email. I immediately checked my spam folder and saw the email read it and replied to him. For those of you that have sent me msg's or pm's you should know I do get back asap.

This is not a oil, not what you are mostly talking about in this thread. I never claimed it was. I believe that some of the absolute is used in the factories flavoring process therefore creating a diluted mixture flavoring, this is a flavoring not a concentrated flavor abstracted from tobacco itself.

I am sorry that I did not see your email sooner jb. I truely try to stay right on top of any issue that presents itself.

I am also going back to the factory with some of these questions to get exact answers for you and hopefully will be able to satisfy your questions within the next day or two.

Last edited:

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Rob got an answer for us and wrote me back today. The absolute that is used in this flavoring is a Tobacco Absolute Oriental.

This is really wonderful to have a such a great source of tobacco flavoring and now we know which one of the three varieties it is we're working with here. The other two commonly used are Tobacco Absolute Burley and Tobacco Absolute Virginia often in different combinations along with the Oriental variety. All three of these are from Nicotiana Tobacam. We have the additional option of exploring the use of the absolute of Nicotiana Rustica which is also available to us.

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
THIS E-LIQUID FLAVORING "TOBACCO FLAVOR"
I emailed the company days ago asking them to clarify more specifically what this product is in contrast to, say, a tobacco absolute and also requested mixing instructions.

They never responded.

The product I received is a mostly clear liquid, slightly amber and has no odor of tobacco whatsoever that I can smell. I have no idea what this stuff even is.

...<snip>.

So I am unclear, did you try this and did it work? taste good, bad, etc.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
At this point I've got the tobacco flavoring from Liquid Express and I have a tobacco absolute from The Perfumer's Apprentice (fantastic deal). Great customer service from both companies. I also have 36mg. unflavored VG from Jaaxx. I need to pick up some high proof vodka or everclear to mix the absolute in as a carrier to test some formulations and no I have not done this yet.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
I hate to hijack a thread but I'm looking for a bit of info and as a new member I'm not allowed to post a new topic in this forum. At this point I don't even own an e-cigarette and I'm not that much of a smoker. I do especially enjoy something known as Italian Toscani, a small ring-gauge cigar that's typically cut in half and smoked in two parts (ammezzati). It's made of fired Kentucky and Italian tobacco. My main interest in e-cigs will be in approximating the taste of the Toscani because all genuine Toscani and especially the Toscano Originale are getting very expensive. Would you experienced flavor blenders think this is a do-able deal or mission impossible? Thanks, Don

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Interesting links which I'll have to study. Again TTI (Tobacco Technology Incorporated) appears a be the major source of flavorings to the tobacco industry.

Here's my first report:

The tobacco absolute by itself was awful. Much too much like perfume with a definite hay like taste that in the undertones was far too much like the most inferior of rolling tobaccos.

I also did not care that much for the Liquid Express tobacco flavoring by itself.

See: http://www.liquidxpress.com/Flavorings-c2/

Using TW Marlboro flavor as a base giving it a score of 10:

The tobacco absolute mixed with unflavored vg 36 mg from Jaaxx mixed to his guidelines was about a 2. The tobacco flavoring from Liquid Express was about 4-5. Mixed with vanilla it comes up to about 6.5 and is a blend that I could be satisfied with vaping on a regular basis.

Fortunately I wound up with a bunch of everclear which is great with grape juice. Unfortunately I couldn't type this report without correcting every single word.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Interesting links which I'll have to study. Again TTI (Tobacco Technology Incorporated) appears a be the major source of flavorings to the tobacco industry.

Here's my first report:

The tobacco absolute by itself was awful. Much too much like perfume with a definite hay like taste that in the undertones was far too much like the most inferior of rolling tobaccos.

I also did not care that much for the Liquid Express tobacco flavoring by itself.

Using TW Marlboro flavor as a base giving it a score of 10:

The tobacco absolute mixed with unflavored vg 36 mg from Jaaxx mixed to his guidelines was about a 2. The tobacco flavoring from Liquid Express was about 4-5. Mixed with vanilla it comes up to about 6.5 and is a blend that I could be satisfied with vaping on a regular basis.

Fortunately I wound up with a bunch of everclear which is great with grape juice. Unfortunately I couldn't type this report without correcting every single word.

JB--what Vanilla did you use to mix your Liquid Express with? Thanks in advance--Sun:)

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
I just added some regular vanilla extract merely to get an idea of how a shade of vanilla might alter the flavor profile. This is not to imply by any means that this was a satisfactory vanilla flavor. I fully intend to try the vanillin crystals when I can get by one of the two Greek markets in the south valley. I fully expect these will provide a satisfactory result. So, to that extent, my assessment was based in part on a supposition.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Why can't the e-liquid makers make tobacco tasting e-liquid? None of the e-liquid taste that much like tobacco. They get the menthol close. Seems to me menthol smokers are the lucky ones. Marlboro's are not. If I could get something to taste like marlboro. That would be most good. I am vaping alot ,but still smoking a few analogs. I cannot get the taste from the liquid. There has not been any close to tobacco tasting. Is this a hard task for them?

Maybe someone on here will figure this out. Get the real tasting tobacco taste e-liquid.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I just added some regular vanilla extract merely to get an idea of how a shade of vanilla might alter the flavor profile. This is not to imply by any means that this was a satisfactory vanilla flavor. I fully intend to try the vanillin crystals when I can get by one of the two Greek markets in the south valley. I fully expect these will provide a satisfactory result. So, to that extent, my assessment was based in part on a supposition.

JB--I think it is high time to give those vanilla crystals a try--I do not know what the Commercial e-liquids use as a vanilla--but these crystals are worth a try--I will have to order as there are no stores that sell here.

BTW--I was out in Salt Lake City 2 times over the last few years and I will have to say that is the cleanest city I have ever seen in my life--you could eat off the streets there--right out of Disney world. Must be a nice place to live-------Sun

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
About a 50/50 cut of TW (or Eastmall) 36mg. Marlboro and the JC Tennessee cured 18mg. non-pg and while a little weak for me nicotine wise it did indeed do the trick and I got used to this level after about a day. I'd much rather have it stronger sometimes and vape less.

I originally complained because the Tennessee cured was too strong in flavor - as in too much like pipe tobacco for a regular smoke and tasted somewhat fruity. Then after I mixed it about half and half with TW Marlboro 36 mg. I don't believe I will EVER find any smoke juice ANYWHERE that tastes more satisfyingly like real tobacco and very pleasant to boot mixed up properly. It may not be a PERFECT match, but really I was surprised at the result. I mean "marlboro" by itself doesn't really taste that much like tobacco but is strangely satisfying, while this mix really DID taste like tobacco. I wonder about a mix with "camel" instead. Sad that the JC is still a little runny even when cut like that.

Then I was left with about 8ml. of TW 36mg. Marlboro and 8ml. JC TC 18mg. non-pg plus another 30ml. JC original 24mg. non-pg and this 15ml. 36mg. unflavored vg from JAAXX (It looks more like he sent me a 30ml. bottle by mistake). So I decided to mix them all up together. It feels like I'm smoking 11mg. nicotine solution and can barely hold out 'til my next bottle comes from TW on Friday. I can't get no satisfaction.

As long as there are reliable suppliers with ready made supplies, provided you can get the strength you need I can't see diluting anything with unflavored because of the loss of flavor.

The only solution for me unless I can find a way of making a suitable tobacco flavored liquid myself (very doubtful at this point) is this combination of the TW 36mg. and the JC non-pg TC. 24 mg. (I needs my nicotine, and wants my flavor.) If too high in nicotine for constant use at this level I might dilute a bit with plain glycerin, particularly if a few vanillin crystals or occasional menthol may compensate for any sacrifice in flavor. A next step would be to order the unfortunately necessary pg formulation in larger quantities from Eastmall who also has that 36mg. Marlboro in 100ml for $50 + $15 shipping. Fortunately I have been able to avoid the health problems I had initially if not using the pg formulation by itself. Gotta stock up ya know. Unfortunately, Eastmall just doesn't have the parts for my super mini.

Someone has suggested the 555 as having a good tobacco flavor. Of those who have tried the various and few tobacco flavored e-liquids available could you please report your preferences here?

Last edited:

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
Yeah, I been having problems too finding satisfactory tobacco flavor. I picked up som 24ml camel from V4L Not bad but not what I was looking for as i was a Camel smoker. Marlboro doesen't cut it at all. I have been leaning on the Hilton 24mg for now untill we can come up with somthing better. I have tried many combos to no avail.

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
Hi guys,
So I ordered some Tobacco Absolute from The Perfumer's Apprentice.
It came in today.

HOLY COW ! :) It came in a teensy weensy bottle and it is very dark colored, like the darkest molasses. It is waaayyy strong and thick. I tried to pull some up with a syringe but I didn't get much. Then I decided to take the one very small drop and add it to 1ml 36mg Mboro that was cut with 1ml of a 50/50 PG/VG mixture that I keep on hand.

So here was about 2 ml of good 24mg fairly flavorless ejuice now spiked with Tobacco Absolute. I cleaned a cart and filled up.
WOW :shock: The flavor is very strong, woody and yes, tobacco but not really cigarette-like tobacco. I felt like I walked into a very good tobacco shop. It leaves a very slight warm licorice aftertaste that I do not mind.

One thing I think that would smooth out the flavor for me would be cocoa extract. I will be on the hunt for that tomorrow. :D

Note: If you do decide to get some tobacco absolute, you will only need one little bottle. It will last forever based on my first taste test. Try just dipping the tip of a glass dropper in it and stirring it around in 2-3ml of e-liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread